2.5 cas DDR ram at 2?

G

What settings would I change in my bios for me to change my cas to 2.0 rather than 2.5? I have an Asus a7m266.. and 512 megs ddr from crucial.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
At this point in time there is a real lack of PC2100 CAS2 memory. The ratings are set on memory by doing testing. If the RAM fails the CAS2 test it is tested as CAS2.5. If it fails CAS2.5, it is tested as CAS3. If it fails CAS3 it is thrown out. Because there is a lack of PC2100 CAS2 in the marketplace, noone is voluntarily 'underclocking' CAS2 as CAS2.5 to increase lower-cost RAM supplies. Therefore, by choosing the run your CAS2.5 ram at CAS2, you are running it at a rating at which it failed manufacturer tests. This can lead to random freezes and crashes that give no apparent pattern of failure, making it difficult to debug. I would recommend against running current CAS2.5 batches at CAS2 for these reasons.

That said, I don't own one of yoru motherboards. If you still want to do it, perhaps someone else can supply the information you require.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Everyone runs their DDR 2.5 at 2. I don't know what your talking about because, for example, pretty much every stick of PC133 CL3 SDRAM can be set at CL2 with no problems. I am talking even [-peep-] RAM can do this. Did you make up that process which they test RAM? I think if it fails CAS2 they mark it at CAS3, to give some headroom.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
No, I did not make anything up. What you will notice is intermittant failures using memory intensive applications.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Ok, I didn't ask how they test the ram, I asked how I could change the settings, please aswer my question please, thank you.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Just following the thread down to the bottom left me splitting my sides!!!!

I don't know you're motherboard but when you see an option in the BIOS which has something to do with CAS just put it lower. e.g. 3 to 2.

I'm not being sarcastic, just take a look again inside.

Good luck.

Beer is the devil's piss.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hatimh on 05/03/01 10:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I was browsing around the forums and look what I came across :)

To change memory timings on Asus A7M266 use the following :
In BIOS setup select "Advanced" then "CHIP Configuration"
then change SDRAM Configuration from "By SPD" ( which uses an
EEPROM on the DIMM to get the recommended settings for the next three parameters ) to "User Define"

When set to User Define, you may then amend the following three parameters:

CAS Latency : change from 2.5T to 2T
RAS Precharge time: change from 3T to 2T
RAS to CAS Delay: change from 3T to 2T

If you have any stability problems then reset
SDRAM Configuration to "By SPD"
This will cause your memory timings to be returned to those recommended by the DIMM manufacturer as stored in EEPROM on the DIMM.

Beer is the devil's piss.