Local web page as taskbar toolbar?

How can I create a taskbar toolbar that points to a local web page
without having a web server running? The "New Toolbar..." dialog seems
to only accept http urls, not file ones (e.g. file:///d:/mypage.htm).

I've tried to look for ways to work around the syntax check in the
dialog by searching the registry for info on the configured toolbars,
but I haven't been able to find anything useful.

The context is that I have a Java applet that is designed to be
displayed in the taskbar and I just can't require people to have a web
server running in order to run the applet (otherwise using
http://localhost/whatever would of course work just fine). Downloading
the applet from a remote site is not an option either.

Does anyone know if this can be done? Or where (and how) the system
keeps information about the toolbars?

Thanks in advance,
micke

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

Why don't you put a shortcut of the file in the desktop and drag it to the
quick launch area. I just did it and it played a sound file and also
launched a web page. It might work for you as well.

"Luminary" <wladowskaja@spray.se> wrote in message
> How can I create a taskbar toolbar that points to a local web page
> without having a web server running? The "New Toolbar..." dialog seems
> to only accept http urls, not file ones (e.g. file:///d:/mypage.htm).
>
> I've tried to look for ways to work around the syntax check in the
> dialog by searching the registry for info on the configured toolbars,
> but I haven't been able to find anything useful.
>
> The context is that I have a Java applet that is designed to be
> displayed in the taskbar and I just can't require people to have a web
> server running in order to run the applet (otherwise using
> http://localhost/whatever would of course work just fine). Downloading
> the applet from a remote site is not an option either.
>
> Does anyone know if this can be done? Or where (and how) the system
> keeps information about the toolbars?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> micke

To continue with the top posting...

In my experience you can place a short cut to anything on the Quick
Launch bar and it will work. No need to first place it on the desktop.
In fact I just navigate to the file with Win Explorer, select the
target file, and drag it to the quick launch bar. It appears on the
extreme right of the bar, or on top if you have it popping up when you
click the >>. I put short cuts there for applications which do not
install themselves and so don't appear on the Start>Programs menu.

--
Norm

mak wrote:
> Why don't you put a shortcut of the file in the desktop and drag it to the
> quick launch area. I just did it and it played a sound file and also
> launched a web page. It might work for you as well.
>

> "Luminary" <wladowskaja@spray.se> wrote in message
>
>>How can I create a taskbar toolbar that points to a local web page
>>without having a web server running? The "New Toolbar..." dialog seems
>>to only accept http urls, not file ones (e.g. file:///d:/mypage.htm).
>>
>>I've tried to look for ways to work around the syntax check in the
>>dialog by searching the registry for info on the configured toolbars,
>>but I haven't been able to find anything useful.
>>
>>The context is that I have a Java applet that is designed to be
>>displayed in the taskbar and I just can't require people to have a web
>>server running in order to run the applet (otherwise using
>>http://localhost/whatever would of course work just fine). Downloading
>>the applet from a remote site is not an option either.
>>
>>Does anyone know if this can be done? Or where (and how) the system
>>keeps information about the toolbars?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>micke

Thank you both for your input!

Unfortunately, a shortcut doesn't seem to solve my problem. What I'm
trying to do is to run the applet *inside* the taskbar, like you can
do with any web site by right clicking the taskbar, selecting Toolbars
| New Toolbar... and typing http://<some_site> in there (of course
most sites make little sense to display in an area that small, but my
applet is designed to be used that way).

The problem is that I haven't found a way to make the New Toolbar
dialog understand what I want. It will only accept a folder or a URL
beginning with http (it seems); not a URL like
file:///d:/myapplet.htm.

Failing the file:// approach, I thought I would be able to find the
place in the registry where the toolbar configuration is stored and
possibly change the url there, but I failed to find any useful
references to the url I used for the toolbar. That's why my second
question is if anyone knows how and where the taskbar toolbar config
is stored.

If I can't get this to work I may have to write a tiny web server that
redirects all requests to the page I want to display (I've tried
redirecting to a file url and it works just fine), but that seems a
bit excessive.

/micke

NoMoreMrNiceGuy <pocobuenoguyREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<eNZ1amIwEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> To continue with the top posting...
>
> In my experience you can place a short cut to anything on the Quick
> Launch bar and it will work. No need to first place it on the desktop.
> In fact I just navigate to the file with Win Explorer, select the
> target file, and drag it to the quick launch bar. It appears on the
> extreme right of the bar, or on top if you have it popping up when you
> click the >>. I put short cuts there for applications which do not
> install themselves and so don't appear on the Start>Programs menu.
>
> --
> Norm
>

> mak wrote:
> > Why don't you put a shortcut of the file in the desktop and drag it to the
> > quick launch area. I just did it and it played a sound file and also
> > launched a web page. It might work for you as well.
> >

> > "Luminary" <wladowskaja@spray.se> wrote in message
> >
> >>How can I create a taskbar toolbar that points to a local web page
> >>without having a web server running? The "New Toolbar..." dialog seems
> >>to only accept http urls, not file ones (e.g. file:///d:/mypage.htm).
> >>
> >>I've tried to look for ways to work around the syntax check in the
> >>dialog by searching the registry for info on the configured toolbars,
> >>but I haven't been able to find anything useful.
> >>
> >>The context is that I have a Java applet that is designed to be
> >>displayed in the taskbar and I just can't require people to have a web
> >>server running in order to run the applet (otherwise using
> >>http://localhost/whatever would of course work just fine). Downloading
> >>the applet from a remote site is not an option either.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know if this can be done? Or where (and how) the system
> >>keeps information about the toolbars?
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance,
> >>micke

> The problem is that I haven't found a way to make the New Toolbar
> dialog understand what I want. It will only accept a folder or a URL
> beginning with http (it seems); not a URL like
> file:///d:/myapplet.htm.

I don't think you can without having IIS running, unfortunately. When you
specify http://localhost/..., IIS (or *some* web server) is responsible for
handling that request. Without it, well...

Please let me know if you do find a workaround.