Local web page as taskbar toolbar?

How can I create a taskbar toolbar that points to a local web page
without having a web server running? The "New Toolbar..." dialog seems
to only accept http urls, not file ones (e.g. file:///d:/mypage.htm).

I've tried to look for ways to work around the syntax check in the
dialog by searching the registry for info on the configured toolbars,
but I haven't been able to find anything useful.

The context is that I have a Java applet that is designed to be
displayed in the taskbar and I just can't require people to have a web
server running in order to run the applet (otherwise using
http://localhost/whatever would of course work just fine). Downloading
the applet from a remote site is not an option either.

Does anyone know if this can be done? Or where (and how) the system
keeps information about the toolbars?

Thanks in advance,
micke
4 answers Last reply
More about local page taskbar toolbar

    Why don't you put a shortcut of the file in the desktop and drag it to the
    quick launch area. I just did it and it played a sound file and also
    launched a web page. It might work for you as well.

    "Luminary" <wladowskaja@spray.se> wrote in message
    > How can I create a taskbar toolbar that points to a local web page
    > without having a web server running? The "New Toolbar..." dialog seems
    > to only accept http urls, not file ones (e.g. file:///d:/mypage.htm).
    >
    > I've tried to look for ways to work around the syntax check in the
    > dialog by searching the registry for info on the configured toolbars,
    > but I haven't been able to find anything useful.
    >
    > The context is that I have a Java applet that is designed to be
    > displayed in the taskbar and I just can't require people to have a web
    > server running in order to run the applet (otherwise using
    > http://localhost/whatever would of course work just fine). Downloading
    > the applet from a remote site is not an option either.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this can be done? Or where (and how) the system
    > keeps information about the toolbars?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > micke

    To continue with the top posting...

    In my experience you can place a short cut to anything on the Quick
    Launch bar and it will work. No need to first place it on the desktop.
    In fact I just navigate to the file with Win Explorer, select the
    target file, and drag it to the quick launch bar. It appears on the
    extreme right of the bar, or on top if you have it popping up when you
    click the >>. I put short cuts there for applications which do not
    install themselves and so don't appear on the Start>Programs menu.

    --
    Norm

    mak wrote:
    > Why don't you put a shortcut of the file in the desktop and drag it to the
    > quick launch area. I just did it and it played a sound file and also
    > launched a web page. It might work for you as well.
    >

    > "Luminary" <wladowskaja@spray.se> wrote in message
    >
    >>How can I create a taskbar toolbar that points to a local web page
    >>without having a web server running? The "New Toolbar..." dialog seems
    >>to only accept http urls, not file ones (e.g. file:///d:/mypage.htm).
    >>
    >>I've tried to look for ways to work around the syntax check in the
    >>dialog by searching the registry for info on the configured toolbars,
    >>but I haven't been able to find anything useful.
    >>
    >>The context is that I have a Java applet that is designed to be
    >>displayed in the taskbar and I just can't require people to have a web
    >>server running in order to run the applet (otherwise using
    >>http://localhost/whatever would of course work just fine). Downloading
    >>the applet from a remote site is not an option either.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know if this can be done? Or where (and how) the system
    >>keeps information about the toolbars?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>micke

    Thank you both for your input!

    Unfortunately, a shortcut doesn't seem to solve my problem. What I'm
    trying to do is to run the applet *inside* the taskbar, like you can
    do with any web site by right clicking the taskbar, selecting Toolbars
    | New Toolbar... and typing http://<some_site> in there (of course
    most sites make little sense to display in an area that small, but my
    applet is designed to be used that way).

    The problem is that I haven't found a way to make the New Toolbar
    dialog understand what I want. It will only accept a folder or a URL
    beginning with http (it seems); not a URL like
    file:///d:/myapplet.htm.

    Failing the file:// approach, I thought I would be able to find the
    place in the registry where the toolbar configuration is stored and
    possibly change the url there, but I failed to find any useful
    references to the url I used for the toolbar. That's why my second
    question is if anyone knows how and where the taskbar toolbar config
    is stored.

    If I can't get this to work I may have to write a tiny web server that
    redirects all requests to the page I want to display (I've tried
    redirecting to a file url and it works just fine), but that seems a
    bit excessive.

    /micke

    NoMoreMrNiceGuy <pocobuenoguyREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<eNZ1amIwEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > To continue with the top posting...
    >
    > In my experience you can place a short cut to anything on the Quick
    > Launch bar and it will work. No need to first place it on the desktop.
    > In fact I just navigate to the file with Win Explorer, select the
    > target file, and drag it to the quick launch bar. It appears on the
    > extreme right of the bar, or on top if you have it popping up when you
    > click the >>. I put short cuts there for applications which do not
    > install themselves and so don't appear on the Start>Programs menu.
    >
    > --
    > Norm
    >

    > mak wrote:
    > > Why don't you put a shortcut of the file in the desktop and drag it to the
    > > quick launch area. I just did it and it played a sound file and also
    > > launched a web page. It might work for you as well.
    > >

    > > "Luminary" <wladowskaja@spray.se> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>How can I create a taskbar toolbar that points to a local web page
    > >>without having a web server running? The "New Toolbar..." dialog seems
    > >>to only accept http urls, not file ones (e.g. file:///d:/mypage.htm).
    > >>
    > >>I've tried to look for ways to work around the syntax check in the
    > >>dialog by searching the registry for info on the configured toolbars,
    > >>but I haven't been able to find anything useful.
    > >>
    > >>The context is that I have a Java applet that is designed to be
    > >>displayed in the taskbar and I just can't require people to have a web
    > >>server running in order to run the applet (otherwise using
    > >>http://localhost/whatever would of course work just fine). Downloading
    > >>the applet from a remote site is not an option either.
    > >>
    > >>Does anyone know if this can be done? Or where (and how) the system
    > >>keeps information about the toolbars?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks in advance,
    > >>micke

    > The problem is that I haven't found a way to make the New Toolbar
    > dialog understand what I want. It will only accept a folder or a URL
    > beginning with http (it seems); not a URL like
    > file:///d:/myapplet.htm.

    I don't think you can without having IIS running, unfortunately. When you
    specify http://localhost/..., IIS (or *some* web server) is responsible for
    handling that request. Without it, well...

    Please let me know if you do find a workaround.

Configuration Taskbar Customization Windows XP