Battlefield 3 low fps issue

Hello!

I have got some peformance issues while playing Battlefield 3.

System:
AMD phenom II x4 B45 3.1ghz
4GB DDR3 ram
HD6950 clocked @ 910/1350, drivers are latest.
Resolution: 1440x900

Im running bf3 at 1440x900 and im getting around 28-60(60 mostly at bases)fps on larger maps, on smaller maps im getting around 45-80fps, sometimes it drops at 40.

BF3 settings:
Everything is ultra only shadows are on High.
Post AA is Off
MSAA is Off
Anisotropic Filtering: x8

I think 6950 should handle more especially when using this kind resolution.
9 answers Last reply
More about battlefield issue
  1. Turn the settings down. BF3 on ultra uses more resources than you think.
  2. Sounds like you're talking multiplayer. Could very well be a slight CPU bottleneck, my i5 750 at 4ghz is almost maxing out on big maps like Caspian with 64 players and vehicles.

Anyway some tweaks I'd suggest: drop effects to High, turn Post AA to max and AF to 16. And set SSAO instead of HBAO. Should see a slight improvement with minimal difference in visual quality.
  3. Yep turn them down
    BF3 uses heaps of CPU power in multiplayer. As an example on a 64 player map my i7-3930K actually reaches 100% on all 6 physical cores.
    To compensate you need to lower some detail to take some stress off your system specially in the big Multiplayer matches
  4. wolfram23 said:
    Sounds like you're talking multiplayer. Could very well be a slight CPU bottleneck, my i5 750 at 4ghz is almost maxing out on big maps like Caspian with 64 players and vehicles.

Anyway some tweaks I'd suggest: drop effects to High, turn Post AA to max and AF to 16. And set SSAO instead of HBAO. Should see a slight improvement with minimal difference in visual quality.

I think yeah, it may be because of CPU bottleneck, this AMD phenom II x4 b45 is unlocked from AMD athlon II x3 445 so i guess it doesn't work exactly as original quad core.
  5. Its definitely CPU bottleneck then. Well I shouldn't say definitely, but there are HIGH chances it is CPU.
  6. surmav said:
    Yeah it may be because of CPU bottleneck, this AMD phenom II x4 b45 is unlocked from AMD athlon II x3 445 so i guess it doesn't work exactly as quad core.

It does, but it would be an Athlon X4 not a Phenom X4. If you can overclock it a little more that would probably help quite a bit.
  7. You have to overclock that CPU at least to 3.6 but still that might not work so you better tune down the settings.
  8. Ok thanks, gonna upgrade my CPU then.
  9. Ha! I was just playing it! First time, awesome game! :D

Yeah sounds like the CPU is struggling. I have AMD's Six-Core Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.7GHz OC and it's great.

I'd go for 6 cores just to be sure.

And I have the 6950 too, awesome card.

I can play it on ultra with no fps issues...

Hope you get it fixed and enjoy the BF3 to the full. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Resolution Battlefield Low FPS Graphics