Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Review my $600 Gaming Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2012 9:20:36 PM

Managed to fit this PC together for $600, are there any parts that I could improve or should change? I was also thinking of waiting a little then getting Ivy Bridge (if I can afford it) or get the i3-2120 or a Sandy Bridge i5 after Ivy Bridge is released.

CPU: Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual Core Processor - $117

CPU Cooling: Stock Intel Cooling (not overclocking) - $0

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P75-D3 / Intel B75 / SATA & USB 3 / AMD CrossfireX - $75

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Dual Channel 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz - $34

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 16MB Cache - Already have it

Graphics Card: Powercolour Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 - $140

Case: NZXT Source 220 Case - $60

PSU: Corsair CX500 500W 80Plus Certified - $52

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-7280S 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive - $19

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - $100

More about : review 600 gaming build

April 8, 2012 9:21:39 PM

If you're thinking of getting a lower price on an i5 CPU after IB is released, it won't happen.
April 10, 2012 7:05:43 AM

Don't buy powercolor. Recomended manufracturers are: Asus,Gigabyte,Saphire,XFX,EVGA
Related resources
April 10, 2012 8:50:27 PM

mucles said:
Don't buy powercolor. Recomended manufracturers are: Asus,Gigabyte,Saphire,XFX,EVGA


Power Color makes pretty good GPUs actually, sure they're underrated when compared to EVGA and Sapphire, but I wouldn't not recommend them.

That build looks good but I wouldn't suggest micro ATX - something like this will be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 11, 2012 1:53:14 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Power Color makes pretty good GPUs actually, sure they're underrated when compared to EVGA and Sapphire, but I wouldn't not recommend them.

That build looks good but I wouldn't suggest micro ATX - something like this will be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Whats wrong with Micro-ATX?

Anyway, that motherboard is better AND you got your facts wrong, I checked Gigabyte and it is a full ATX motherboard. Anyway, its cheaper than that Intel board, supports CrossFireX and PCI 3, the new Ivy Bridge technology, I doesn't have eSATA but I don't have any eSATA devices.
April 11, 2012 4:47:45 PM

Cold_War said:
Whats wrong with Micro-ATX?

Anyway, that motherboard is better AND you got your facts wrong, I checked Gigabyte and it is a full ATX motherboard. Anyway, its cheaper than that Intel board, supports CrossFireX and PCI 3, the new Ivy Bridge technology, I doesn't have eSATA but I don't have any eSATA devices.


1. Micro ATX limits your long term expansion. You sacrifice SATA ports to be able to add extra drives, you forfeit two DIMM slots on H61 and H67 and H61 limits your access to your RAM and CPU multiplier should you decide you want to overclock - it's fine kind of if you get a dedicated board like the Maximus IV that's tailor made for expansion but you still sacrifice a couple of PCI slots in case you want to add anything besides 2 x GPUs.

2. Really? I looked that board up on Newegg and it said it was mATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Unless they don't have that particular board listed on Newegg - that was the result I got when I entered it in the search.
April 11, 2012 5:25:01 PM

He is wrong. Even on the GIGABYTE website, it is mATX.
Micro ATX Form Factor; 24.4cm x 17.4cm
April 11, 2012 8:24:23 PM

g-unit1111 said:
1. Micro ATX limits your long term expansion. You sacrifice SATA ports to be able to add extra drives, you forfeit two DIMM slots on H61 and H67 and H61 limits your access to your RAM and CPU multiplier should you decide you want to overclock - it's fine kind of if you get a dedicated board like the Maximus IV that's tailor made for expansion but you still sacrifice a couple of PCI slots in case you want to add anything besides 2 x GPUs.

2. Really? I looked that board up on Newegg and it said it was mATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Unless they don't have that particular board listed on Newegg - that was the result I got when I entered it in the search.



Gunit link : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GA-B75M-D3V

OP Post: http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-p75-d3rev_10...

GA-P75-D3

VERY similar so I can see it being overlooked but the OP's board is ATX
April 11, 2012 8:38:17 PM

LOL yea I was like what is the ee. at the front of the webpage when I first looked. Had not seen that before. (^_^)
April 12, 2012 6:20:56 PM

Cold_War said:
I don't come from Estonia, and its not a P75 chipset motherboard. It is named 'P75' but it actually has the new Intel B75 chipset. It is available here - which I am ordering it from here: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P75-D3#


Well that threw me off a bit. I still don't think I would order any board with a parallel and serial port anymore - nobody uses those anymore and I am still puzzled as to why Gigabyte includes them. You're better off getting a low end Z77 or Z68 board.
September 4, 2012 12:11:57 AM

How many USB ports does your Gigabyte motherboard allow?
November 2, 2012 11:37:54 AM

can this MB p75-d3 use for OC ???