My Dell Pentium 4 no longer recognizes my 4 GB of RAM.

bfkoch

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hello,
My Dell Pentium 4 no longer recognizes my 4 GB of RAM. I added 3 GB about 2 years ago and it worked fine. But now it thinks I only have 1 GB of RAM. I'm running XP Pro.

G

He wrote "no longer recognizes" and probably means XP pro x64?

You can test one by one the memory sticks to your pc and if is not working means are burned in 2 years I suspect you are under warranty and they will change them.

PS Pentium 4 ? i think you can't find in the stores mamory it uses.

bfkoch

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

It says I only have 1 GB now.
Under System Properties it says 1.0 GB of RAM

When I first installed the extra memory, it idicated that I had 4 GB.

G

yes but you have 1 Gbyte memory sticks? take them all of your motherboard making sure the working first not to mix it with the others.

They try put them one by one in the first memory bank and open the pc if it works and it boots it's ok you must repeat the same procedure with the reast of them.

if the pc dosen't open the memory stick is burned.

anyway this way you will make sure the problem is not hardware related if they are all ok.

bfkoch

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

I guess I got my computers confused. According to the Kensington Website, my Dell Dim only has two slots and holds a max of 1 GB total.

Sorry for wasting your time.

G

Never mind for a moment you made me believed you burn the ram and is not easy to find memory for Pentium 4. Anyway in feature have in mind that is better to give full specs of your pc cpu ghz, total ram and frequency, motherboard model , cpu cooler, pc case, hard disk, operating system.

This is why not many are trying to help you running the risk to jump to a false conclusion.