Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help! First computer build, after years of Dell purchases...

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 8, 2012 11:34:21 PM

Hello All. Quick thanks to those who help participate in this discussion. Looking for insight and pointers. :D 


Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: $800 - $1000 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (WoW; SWTOR), surfing the internet/email, watching movies/listening to music

Parts Not Required: keyboard/mouse/monitor(Dell E207WFP - 20" LCD Flatpanel)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Been researching parts through Newegg.com & Microcenter (have a store an hour away)

Country:US - Maryland

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Maybe (Haven't attempted it yet)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (Unclear of what this actually does)(I know a nooob comment)

Monitor Resolution: Maximum Resolution 1680 x 1050

Additional Comments: This will me my first build. Looking for a Mid-high gamer. I am currently coming off a Dell Inspiron 531s. Its a few years dated. Been trying to play some moderate games WoW and SWTOR.. and the FPS on it isn't great.



This is what I have put together thus far.. Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP 139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU : COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W 139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PCU : Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 219.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 209.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM :G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD :Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II 199.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 139.99

Will need a good gpu.(I currently have a Radeon 4350HD 1GB)(Which I know is quite outdated).

TOTAL as of right now (using newegg) 1109.93

I do have the HDD from my 531 that I can still use: Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also have a CD-RW/DVD-Rom drive (not sure of the quality of it. This is the only information that I was able to track down on it. (http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-10664/Dell-HX8...)

Looking to hear some feedback.... All is welcome at this point :) 
April 8, 2012 11:57:27 PM

How much is your total so far?
April 9, 2012 12:03:20 AM

I'm sitting at 1100 right now with just using Newegg. I'm flipping between tabs seeing the price difference in going to pick up the parts from the microcenter near me.
Related resources
April 9, 2012 12:13:42 AM

Get the CPU and MOBO from microcenter and the rest from newegg. ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is $75 after $50 off when getting the i5-2500k there. That way, you can fit in a 560ti.
April 9, 2012 12:14:22 AM

I'd get a cheaper case and Power supply. Use the money saved to buy a gtx 560ti or 7850
April 9, 2012 12:17:31 AM

egilbe said:
I'd get a cheaper case and Power supply. Use the money saved to buy a gtx 560ti or 7850



Which would be a beneficial case? With good space? Circulation?
April 9, 2012 12:27:26 AM

Ragella said:
Which would be a beneficial case? With good space? Circulation?



Antec 300 is cheaper and has plenty of room as well as case fans. If you aren't going to use SLI, buy a smaller PSU, like a 550 or 600 watt. Even some of the Rosewill gaming cases are pretty decent.
April 9, 2012 12:58:05 AM

azeem40 said:
Get the CPU and MOBO from microcenter and the rest from newegg. ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is $75 after $50 off when getting the i5-2500k there. That way, you can fit in a 560ti.



Azeem40 - Could you assist me.. what is the differences between the 2 of these?

GIGABYTE GV-N560448-13I GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card 294.99 newegg/269.99microcenter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card 229.99 newegg/239.99 microcenter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 9, 2012 1:18:00 AM

The 560ti 448 is actually a slightly crippled GTX570. I have one. I like it. The 560ti is a faster GTX560. Not the same level as the 570. That make sense?
April 9, 2012 1:58:09 AM

egilbe said:
The 560ti 448 is actually a slightly crippled GTX570. I have one. I like it. The 560ti is a faster GTX560. Not the same level as the 570. That make sense?


For the most part...
April 9, 2012 2:01:49 AM

560ti 448 has a 320bit memory pipeline, compared to the 256bit that the 560ti has. It has 448 processing cores, compared to the 384 the 560ti has. It falls in between the 560ti and the 570 as far as performance and price.
April 9, 2012 2:35:25 AM

egilbe said:
560ti 448 has a 320bit memory pipeline, compared to the 256bit that the 560ti has. It has 448 processing cores, compared to the 384 the 560ti has. It falls in between the 560ti and the 570 as far as performance and price.


Thanks for the extra info!

As far as the build goes, what is your opinion?
April 9, 2012 2:41:45 AM

Almost the same as I'm using now, once you buy the GTX560 448. :hello:  I can't complain. I like it. :love: 
April 10, 2012 2:31:14 AM

azeem40 said:
Get the CPU and MOBO from microcenter and the rest from newegg. ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is $75 after $50 off when getting the i5-2500k there. That way, you can fit in a 560ti.



hey azeem40...

how good is ASRock ? I see a lot of people recommending them. What is the difference between these 2 boards, if you don't mind explaining? As it was recommended that I pick up the Gigabyte board ...

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 10, 2012 4:22:26 AM

ASRock is made by ASUS and is their more "wallet friendly" line. In my opinion I would go with the ASRock mobo and put the extra money into your GPU. Im also looking at your specs and noticed your SSD is a SATA II. Heres a good deal from Newegg:

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That way you're getting all the benefits of having an SSD. And the only other thing I would recommend is get a cheaper case. Something with good airflow and room for expansion you can find for under $100.
April 10, 2012 4:27:07 AM

upsguy1974 said:
ASRock is made by ASUS and is their more "wallet friendly" line. In my opinion I would go with the ASRock mobo and put the extra money into your GPU. Im also looking at your specs and noticed your SSD is a SATA II. Heres a good deal from Newegg:

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That way you're getting all the benefits of having an SSD. And the only other thing I would recommend is get a cheaper case. Something with good airflow and room for expansion you can find for under $100.



Thanks for your feedback :)  As this would be my first build - which cases seem to be offering the most cooling/air flow ?
April 10, 2012 4:30:08 AM

Also, what is your take on my current HDD? Do you think its salvageable from my old system?
April 10, 2012 4:53:27 AM

This is a great case for the money:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would use your old HDD as a back up drive. It was probably an IDE or a SATA II drive depending on how old it is. So even though its spinning at 7200 RPMs and plugged into a SATA III port, you're only transferring at SATA II speeds. And it's only 160GB which for todays gaming is small. I would go for at the least a 500GB HDD for storage and use your SSD as your boot drive.

April 10, 2012 5:07:18 AM

upsguy1974 said:
This is a great case for the money:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would use your old HDD as a back up drive. It was probably an IDE or a SATA II drive depending on how old it is. So even though its spinning at 7200 RPMs and plugged into a SATA III port, you're only transferring at SATA II speeds. And it's only 160GB which for todays gaming is small. I would go for at the least a 500GB HDD for storage and use your SSD as your boot drive.


t
What would be a good/safe bet on a PSU ? Another question .. As for the GPU - which is better for gaming? 560ti-448 or Radeon 7850 ?
April 10, 2012 11:54:22 PM

odwillia said:
Here is a good PSU and fairly good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Personally I would go for a 7870. If choosing between the two you asked about probably would choose the the 7850.



As far as the Radeon GPU goes.. which manufacturer should I lean towards?
April 11, 2012 3:28:02 AM

They all use the same chip-set so that doesn't factor in. I personally like Sapphire and Gigabyte. I've heard good things about Asus and XFX as well. I would read the reviews here on Toms and check out the GPU forums and ask around in there.
April 11, 2012 3:58:42 AM

go sapphire for amd gpu, they are good for the price and has lots of stuff inside but their box sucks.

if you like awesome box, try asus i love how their box looks, don't know much about xfx since it's rare on local stores
April 16, 2012 9:52:05 PM

Tavo_Nova said:
go sapphire for amd gpu, they are good for the price and has lots of stuff inside but their box sucks.

if you like awesome box, try asus i love how their box looks, don't know much about xfx since it's rare on local stores


Who cares about how the box looks? It's the product itself that counts, not the packaging. Sapphire makes solid video cards. So do XFX and Power Color. If you go with NVIDIA - EVGA is the best hands down.

Quote:


This is a great case for the money:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811129021


Actually that isn't anymore - the cable management is terrible when you compare it to similar offerings from Cooler Master, Fractal Design, and Corsair. If you want an Antec case get the newer 1100, not the 900.

April 16, 2012 10:16:09 PM

Ragella said:
Hey G-Unit...

What is your take on this gpu?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

EDIT:

Here is the EVGA -

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...


The 560TI is good - if you get that you should definitely get the EVGA model.

However you should really take a look at the Radeon 7850 as it beats the 560TI and in some cases beats the 570TI while using far less power: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...
April 16, 2012 10:28:48 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The 560TI is good - if you get that you should definitely get the EVGA model.

However you should really take a look at the Radeon 7850 as it beats the 560TI and in some cases beats the 570TI while using far less power: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...



And who would you recommend for Radeon? Sapphire? XFX?
April 16, 2012 10:30:40 PM

Ragella said:
And who would you recommend for Radeon? Sapphire? XFX?


Sapphire makes great cards - they're pretty much all I use including the one I just bought. XFX is good too, you can't go wrong with either one.
April 16, 2012 10:43:52 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Sapphire makes great cards - they're pretty much all I use including the one I just bought. XFX is good too, you can't go wrong with either one.



Guess, i'll need to get the gpu from newegg.. MicroCenter doesn't seem to be offering any 78xx series.. (77xx/79xx)


EDIT :

Here is my cart from MC : http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx 460.00 (includes tax)
newegg : http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Sub... 645.00 (includes tax)


Also, what would be a good monitor to upgrade me to a better resolution from 1680 x 1050 ??
April 16, 2012 11:18:24 PM

Ragella said:
Guess, i'll need to get the gpu from newegg.. MicroCenter doesn't seem to be offering any 78xx series.. (77xx/79xx)


EDIT :

Here is my cart from MC : http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx 460.00 (includes tax)
newegg : http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Sub... 645.00 (includes tax)


Also, what would be a good monitor to upgrade me to a better resolution from 1680 x 1050 ??


Neither of your links work.

And if you want to upgrade your monitor - get a full 23" 1080p like this one from Acer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The problem with Microcenter is they have good prices but they do not have the selection that Newegg does which is usually why I link to Newegg more than any other site.
April 16, 2012 11:28:31 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Neither of your links work.

And if you want to upgrade your monitor - get a full 23" 1080p like this one from Acer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The problem with Microcenter is they have good prices but they do not have the selection that Newegg does which is usually why I link to Newegg more than any other site.



strange.. the links worked for me inside the quoted section... let me try again.
April 16, 2012 11:30:28 PM

I would rather get an ASUS monitor than Acer, but IMO, BenQ makes the best monitors.
April 16, 2012 11:58:16 PM

Ragella said:
does this work.. for wishlist?
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...


Now it's asking for a password, try making it public.

Quote:
I would rather get an ASUS monitor than Acer, but IMO, BenQ makes the best monitors.


Never tried BenQ monitors but my Acer has been working nicely and I've had it for almost 3 years now.
April 17, 2012 12:06:57 AM

BenQ is a few more dollars... 289.99 . . . . 139.99 for acer
April 17, 2012 6:01:09 PM

EDIT: Updated Build with the help of so many in here :)  Thank you All. It should be interesting putting my first build together.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OR
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (might hold out for IB; and/or see if SB price drops any.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: SAPPHIRE 11199-03-20G Radeon HD 7870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

And, I added a monitor to get me to 1080p

Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Solid Build? See any changes that I should add before purchase? Getting itchy palms reading all this info and wanting to play :)  Thanks everyone!!

(Also, not everything is coming from Newegg... as that I have a microcenter near by)
April 17, 2012 6:45:29 PM

Ragella said:
EDIT: Updated Build with the help of so many in here :)  Thank you All. It should be interesting putting my first build together.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OR
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (might hold out for IB; and/or see if SB price drops any.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: SAPPHIRE 11199-03-20G Radeon HD 7870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: Caviar Green WD10EARX 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

And, I added a monitor to get me to 1080p

Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Solid Build? See any changes that I should add before purchase? Getting itchy palms reading all this info and wanting to play :)  Thanks everyone!!

(Also, not everything is coming from Newegg... as that I have a microcenter near by)


That's a solid build - only thing I'd suggest would be to up the PSU to a 750W in case you want to SLI / Crossfire later on, and if you want case suggestions - look at the Corsair Carbide 400R and Fractal Design Arc MIDI.
April 17, 2012 6:59:25 PM

the caviar green is the same price as the caviar blue HDD. The difference is that the green drive uses less power and usually that equates to lower performance. You could switch with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... if you do not particularly care about the power savings with the Green drive (this matters to some people)./

Both of those cases are solid options, the 912 is smaller and the 932 has more space, drive space, etc. You might strike a compromise between size and space with the 922, which is right in the middle of the 912 and 932. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Ivy Bridge alternative to the i5-2500k is going to be the i5-3570k, but the rumor is these chips run hotter than the sandy bridge chips across the board. This might limit your overclocking headroom on an Ivy Bridge chip, so if you are looking at this, i would definitely wait until an overclocking review comes out after the release of these chips.

Everything else looks solid to me. :) 

Hope this helps!
April 17, 2012 7:44:24 PM

kelthic said:
the caviar green is the same price as the caviar blue HDD. The difference is that the green drive uses less power and usually that equates to lower performance. You could switch with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... if you do not particularly care about the power savings with the Green drive (this matters to some people)./




Is there a performance difference between 32/64mb cache?
April 17, 2012 7:50:37 PM

g-unit1111 said:
That's a solid build - only thing I'd suggest would be to up the PSU to a 750W in case you want to SLI / Crossfire later on, and if you want case suggestions - look at the Corsair Carbide 400R and Fractal Design Arc MIDI.



thanks G. I'll update the psu.
April 17, 2012 7:55:36 PM

The cache holds commonly used files, making their retrieval faster. Unless you are have a lot of files open at the same time quite often or are writting a lot of large files at the same time, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

REad http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273536-32-difference-... for a second/third/fourth opinion :) 
April 17, 2012 7:57:17 PM

also, is going modular better?
April 17, 2012 7:59:10 PM

kelthic said:
The cache holds commonly used files, making their retrieval faster. Unless you are have a lot of files open at the same time quite often or are writting a lot of large files at the same time, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

REad http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273536-32-difference-... for a second/third/fourth opinion :) 



thanks Kelthic
April 17, 2012 8:04:27 PM

That's a very nice psu and will give you the power needed for crossfire later on. Modular psus reduce the amount of cables in your case and because of that, they often make the airflow slightly better.
April 17, 2012 9:54:24 PM

EDIT: Final build.... Ordered!!! Now the waiting game :( 

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (might hold out for IB; and/or see if SB price drops any.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: SAPPHIRE 11199-03-20G Radeon HD 7870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you everyone for all your assistance :D  Kudos!!! A great group of people here!!! Final price was $1550!!
!