Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU overheating

Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2012 3:14:46 AM

I just installed my heatsink into my computer (Silenx 100mm) And applyed the thermal paste to both it and the cpu, but in bios, the tempurture reads about 70-80C. I checked and fans are indeed running, I have the case off and nothing changes. Is there anything i'm forgetting? There's thermal paste on both parts (A peasize each) Spread evenly. What am I forgetting?

More about : cpu overheating

July 22, 2012 3:34:34 AM

Applying thermal paste to cpu and your cpu cooler will not work, this is an article than may help you applying the thermal paste:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur...

You don't giving enough information about your cpu cooler, your pc case, the intake fans and the outtake fans so we can’t more effectively help you anyway.

Best solution

a c 162 à CPUs
July 22, 2012 3:37:36 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Is it that cooler? Does it use the silly intel push pins? If so i would go double check that they are all locked in, its not uncommon to miss one or have one pop loose.

Also, its rare to apply thermal paste to both sides so i think you might have ended up with too much? Did any squirt out around the base of the heatsink when you mounted it? If so you used too much and should reapply with just one dot in the middle or a line down the middle of one of them.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 22, 2012 3:45:01 AM

That is indeed the fan, and looking at those pins, 2 on the left side do not seem fully in... I will fix that asap, but it's difficult to pop it in due to someone on the motherbored sticking out xD
As for the paste, it doesn't appear to of squirt out...
As for fan information, id check but the computer burns out before i get the chance to look.
July 22, 2012 3:55:50 AM

You can use a hair dier to worm a bit the thermal paste in order to come off easier if you like but in the end you must do it and reapply it only to the cpu as you seen in the link i gave you above.
July 22, 2012 3:58:07 AM

So basically I should remove the paste from the sink?
July 22, 2012 3:59:46 AM

From booth and from your cpu cooler and clean them a bit with some alcohol

Ps If you don’t do it correctly air bubbles can be trapped between and this is your problem exactly make sure you will put the cpu cooler to the cpu with vertical pressure once you do it must not come off.
July 22, 2012 4:01:18 AM

Alright, I'll try that asap.
July 22, 2012 4:04:42 AM

I update the previus i wish you luck and success.
July 22, 2012 4:08:25 AM

Best answer selected by akumati.
July 22, 2012 6:58:25 AM

Just the update,it was the push pins. Thanks hunter!
October 2, 2012 9:19:30 PM

akumati said:
I just installed my heatsink into my computer (Silenx 100mm) And applyed the thermal paste to both it and the cpu, but in bios, the tempurture reads about 70-80C. I checked and fans are indeed running, I have the case off and nothing changes. Is there anything i'm forgetting? There's thermal paste on both parts (A peasize each) Spread evenly. What am I forgetting?

Is this the low profile model?
!