Solved

Bad temps after cleaning out computer

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Computers
Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2012 4:27:55 AM

You might have seen my post a couple days ago when I talked about re-furbishing an old Compaq with a Pentium 4. Well part of the process was tearing it down and dusting it. I took off the heatsink and separated the fan and blew it out. I also wiped off all the old thermal paste and re-applied with MX4. Problem is now I’m getting even worse temps. I know that Pentium 4’s run hot but this is ridiculous.

More about : bad temps cleaning computer

a b à CPUs
July 22, 2012 4:39:21 AM

Did you get the surfaces really clean? Are the surfaces making good contact?
m
l

Best solution

a c 154 à CPUs
July 22, 2012 4:41:00 AM

I would wipe off the thermal paste and clean it really good. My guess is you put to much thermal paste on or the heatsink is not locked down right. Make sure you use rubbing alcohol and non lint cloth like coffee filters. Wipe off as much of the gunk as possible with a dry coffee filter. Once most of the main junk is off moisten a coffee filter with the rubbing alcohol and start rubbing. Keep repeating this step until the coffee filters come out clean and re-apply thermal paste. Remember less is more you don’t need a lot of thermal paste to be effective.
July 22, 2012 4:45:18 AM

I'll clean the surfaces again abekl. I'll also clean everything real good with rubbing alcohol and re-apply thermal paste and see if that helps.
m
l
Anonymous
July 22, 2012 4:50:42 AM

Yes make sure you will put thermal paste only to the cpu center and put the cpu coller vertical don't move it after is done the problem is always the air bubbles that can traped between.

Use a hair drier to warm the paste a bit helps to come off better.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
July 22, 2012 4:52:31 AM

If this is an LGA775 P4 with plastic fan frame and push-pins, the frame and pins may be deformed and no longer capable of providing sufficient contact force to provide good thermal transfer no matter how good your thermal paste is and no matter how perfect your push-pin and paste application techniques are.
m
l
a c 154 à CPUs
July 22, 2012 4:59:54 AM

No I don't think it is a socket 775. He said in his other post that it is a Compaq s4300NX and that computer took a Northwood Pentium 4 which used PGA socket 478. I'm pretty sure the socket 478 had dual locking arms sort of similar to that used in AMD.
m
l
July 22, 2012 5:09:50 AM

I'm not sure what socket it uses but the heatsink has two locking arms as rds said so I guess it socket 478 like he said. I cleaned the heatsink and heat spreader real good with rubbing alcohol and reapplied thermal paste and it seems to have helped. Now the temps are idling in in the 30's.
m
l
July 22, 2012 5:10:42 AM

Best answer selected by bjfaia5.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
July 22, 2012 5:11:33 AM

rds1220 said:
I'm pretty sure the socket 478 had dual locking arms sort of similar to that used in AMD.

It does, I have one of those in my backup PC. Although somewhat bulky, I'd say it is my favorite retention mechanism since it is quite simple and leaves very little doubt about whether or not the HSF is securely locked in place. With the push-pins, it is nearly impossible to tell how much net force is being applied.

Well, OP did not specify what his before/after temperatures are so his worse temps may not necessarily be that bad.
m
l
!