$1500 New Build Advice...Does this look good?

MPiland

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Ok, I've stalked these forums a lot in the past and figured I'd ask you guys some advice. I'm currently looking to build a new PC for some gaming, but mainly for 3D modelling including programs like Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as Ivy Bridge is released at the end of this month

Budget Range: ~$1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D Design and gaming primarily

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitors, battery back-up. Also, my friend is giving me an 850W PSU SLI ready and (2) GTX 560 graphics cards

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Where I can get the cheapest price

Parts Preferences: I prefer Asus mobos, but other than that...whichever is reliable

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Monitor Resolution: At least 1080

Additional Comments: I would prefer the case be quiet, but more importantly have good airflow

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far these are the parts I'm looking at:

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD: LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC Support WH12LS39 LightScribe Support - OEM

COOLER: CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

MOBO: This is what I'm looking at right now...ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard or ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard, although not exactly sure that I NEED the extreme lol

THERMAL PASTE: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

I'm pretty set on going with IB because I have the time to wait, so why not? My biggest question is I need a good case (preferrably mid tower due to space constraints) that will handle the cooler and the dual GPUs, but will retain good air flow. I would like it to have a fan control, but if not, I'm fairly sure I could use software for that. I also want USB 3.0 on the front panels to be internal. I really like the Corsair, I'm just wondering how much I'd actually use that firewire. Not that it's a problem having it, but y'know...Also, is Asus still a good mobo company? What's the difference between Gigabyte, Asus, AsRock, etc.?

These are the cases I'm looking at right now:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition

Bitfenix Raider Steel Black ATX USB3.0 Mid Tower Case

Corsair Carbide Series 500R

I'm not leaning to much toward the CM case due to the size and weight of that bad boy, but the airflow looks incredible. This should be a pretty solid build, right?

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If you ever think you might use more than 16 GB of RAM then Professional is a good choice. Some reviews for Discount Mountain claim they sell OEM branded software for Dell, etc. which legally you can't use.

MPiland

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Yeah, I'll probably upgrade in the future to 32gb, that's why I'm sticking with (2) 8gb sticks right now. And I didn't see that about the Dell Software and what not, I'll be careful about that. Thanks!

MPiland

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Going to bump this once since I haven't gotten that many people to chime in. I'll probably start ordering these parts soon unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Are you definitely sure that 2133Mhz memory is not usable in his new build?
I just got the feeling that I read a review a while ago, that said something along the lines, that memory over 1600Mhz could be utilized. Just trying to be helpful, no guarantee that I am not mistaken.

MPiland

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
The one I'm looking at right now is either the Asus p8z77-v pro or possibly deluxe. I'm just not sure I'd need everything that comes on the deluxe. The built-in bluetooth is cool, but don't know how much I'd use it. I saw that Maximus GENE V board, but I'm not a fan of it and it'll probably be out of my price range.

MPiland

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I ended up purchasing the pro. The deluxe comes with 2 more PCIe Gen 2 slots, but 1 less PCI slot. It also has built-in bluetooth, 2 eSata 6 GP/S ports, 2 more USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports on the back of the board, and a power/reset button. Other than those differences, they're essentially the same.

TRENDING THREADS