Why is my cpu voltage so high??

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hi guys!!

I'm having a huge problem right now. I jst got a new rig and everything seems fine except for the voltage. I'm currently using an i7-2600k. CPU-Z and Easy tune 6 says that my Vcore is at 1.512v which I know is extremely high. However, when I enter my BIOS I see that my voltage is at 1.325v. Now, which one should I trust? I tried everything I could to lower the voltage in the BIOS, but it seems that it's not working as CPU-Z still reads my voltage to be around 1.5v. Any way I could reduce it?

Any help would be deeply appreciated!
:??:

Solution

THAT would be the problem if you're using it. Auto OC's (like Easy Tune) are notorious for giving the CPU WAY too much voltage.

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

That's what's worrying me I'm not sure which one is right. Right now everything is at default in the bios, my cpu is clocked at 3.8Ghz (turbo on) and the temps on full load (using prime95) rises to 60-70 degrees.

My cpu-z may got messed up but my easy tune 6 is reading the same voltage. I'm using the gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 motherboard.

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

Nope I'm not using any overclocking after market softwares. I can use easy tune6 (a software that game with my motherboard) to overclock my cpu tho.

THAT would be the problem if you're using it. Auto OC's (like Easy Tune) are notorious for giving the CPU WAY too much voltage.

Solution

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

Oh I see. But it's not supposed to be overclocked right now though. Should I uninstall the program and see if that is what's causing the high voltage?

If it's not supposed to be OC'd (you didn't enable an Auto OC), then it shouldn't be doing anything, but yeah, I'd definitely give that a try. Also make sure that an Auto OC isn't active in the BIOS.

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Oh wow that actually worked!! uninstalled, restarted my pc and now its running at a much lower voltage!! My voltage is set on auto though, is that fine? Or should I set it on a specific voltage? what voltage would you recommend for 3.8 Ghz?

Thanks man you jst saved my pc! xD

Awesome! And auto voltage is fine, especially now that it's much lower.

Just remember that when you want to OC. OC manually and use a manual static voltage (or an offset, which I actually prefer).

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

Alright got it! hmm, when I OC tho, the only thing I have to raise is my voltage and Frequency right? Sorry, I'm new to those stuffs just got my pc a few days ago ^^

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

Yup my temps are much better! 3.8Ghz under full load with temp peaking at 57 degrees!! :D

Well, voltage and multiplier, but yes. Just don't touch the BCLK. Leave that at 100Mhz.

I'd suggest reading through the great Sandy Bridge OC guides here on Tom's in the Overclocking section to help you along. You don't have to do everything exactly as they do in the guides (I don't), but it helps you understand more about how to OC with a SB CPU.

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

Ok I'll have a look into it. Is it alright to leave my rig overclocked at all times though? I heard that it reduces the lifespan of the cpu. Is that true?

It does slightly if you increase the voltage, and does more so the higher you go with the voltage and temperature, but you can just do what I do, and leave all of the power saving features (SpeedSttep and C states) enabled and use the offsets for voltage adjustment.

That allows the voltage and speed to drop at idle, like normal, but still be OC'd, as well. Also, that way, you can just use the High Performance power profile in Windows to get the full speed of the OC when you need it, but set it back to Balanced when you don't. That keeps the heat down and keeps the wear and tear down when you don't really need full speed.

Mav78952

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

Ok I got it. Well thank you very much for the fast reply and for your help!

You sir is awesome :D