One disappointing thing about Jade Empire

As of right now, the only real thing that kinda bugs me about Jade
Empire is that I'm not having fun playing evil. In both KOTOR's, it was
fun to be evil. Since one of the themes of Star Wars is light vs. dark,
you felt like you belonged to a certain side playing that way. In Jade
Empire, you just feel evil. At this point, even though I'm pretty far
in the game, I'm thinking of starting over and being good instead. I
can always go back to my last "evil" save, I guess.

Later,
Richard

In article <gm7de.1607$9n1.497@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
riche@insight.rr.com says...
> As of right now, the only real thing that kinda bugs me about Jade
> Empire is that I'm not having fun playing evil. In both KOTOR's, it was
> fun to be evil. Since one of the themes of Star Wars is light vs. dark,
> you felt like you belonged to a certain side playing that way. In Jade
> Empire, you just feel evil. At this point, even though I'm pretty far
> in the game, I'm thinking of starting over and being good instead. I
> can always go back to my last "evil" save, I guess.
>
> Later,
> Richard

The game definitely elicits an emotional response. I really feel bad at
some of the choices I make so that I can become better at the way of the
Closed Fist. This actually indicates brilliant game design because it is
*very* hard to get people to commit emotionally to the story in a game.

--
Rob Berryhill

"Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <gm7de.1607$9n1.497@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
> riche@insight.rr.com says...
>> As of right now, the only real thing that kinda bugs me about Jade
>> Empire is that I'm not having fun playing evil. In both KOTOR's, it was
>> fun to be evil. Since one of the themes of Star Wars is light vs. dark,
>> you felt like you belonged to a certain side playing that way. In Jade
>> Empire, you just feel evil. At this point, even though I'm pretty far
>> in the game, I'm thinking of starting over and being good instead. I
>> can always go back to my last "evil" save, I guess.
>>
>> Later,
>> Richard
>>

> The game definitely elicits an emotional response. I really feel bad at
> some of the choices I make so that I can become better at the way of the
> Closed Fist. This actually indicates brilliant game design because it is
> *very* hard to get people to commit emotionally to the story in a game.
>
> --
> Rob Berryhill

I agree. That is very cool. I know I have no emotional concerns over
running over hookers in GTA but after about 2 hours of close fist, I think I
am going to start over.

> I agree. That is very cool. I know I have no emotional concerns over
> running over hookers in GTA

I assume you get the "healing" treatment first, then run them over, then get
your money back, right? It's like its own mini game, "Prostitute Killing
Psycho Serial Murderer". Ah yes, good times.

- Cryo

Rob Berryhill <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in

> The game definitely elicits an emotional response. I really feel bad
> at some of the choices I make so that I can become better at the way
> of the Closed Fist. This actually indicates brilliant game design
> because it is *very* hard to get people to commit emotionally to the
> story in a game.

Dunno if I fully agree, though. The way the game philosophy is outlined,
Open Palm and Closed Fist should both be viable and potentially beneficial.
I think if they'd designed it more carefully, there'd be quests where the
Closed Fist method would show some positive results (aside from more money,
etc.) and the Open Palm method would show some negative results.

Basically, I want to be able to play the game through as the Closed Fist
master from Tien's Landing. He seemed like a relatively nice guy...just
didn't believe in handouts.

Geo
--
George Mealer
geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

"Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry

"Cryofax" <Bark@TheMoon.com> wrote in message
>> I agree. That is very cool. I know I have no emotional concerns over
>> running over hookers in GTA
>
> I assume you get the "healing" treatment first, then run them over, then
> get your money back, right? It's like its own mini game, "Prostitute
> Killing Psycho Serial Murderer". Ah yes, good times.
>
> - Cryo

Heck yeah. You gotta get the "hook up" or else its just senseless murder.

George Mealer <geo@snarksoft.invalid> wrote:
>Dunno if I fully agree, though. The way the game philosophy is outlined,
>Open Palm and Closed Fist should both be viable and potentially beneficial.
>I think if they'd designed it more carefully, there'd be quests where the
>Closed Fist method would show some positive results (aside from more money,
>etc.) and the Open Palm method would show some negative results.

I started playing a second time, this time as closed fist. And so
far, I agree with the thread on the official forums that argues that the
CF position as laid out in-game is a lot different from how the game
chooses to award CF points.

I also went back to the pivotal moment -- the choice between OP
and CF, and I'm not sure how convinced I am that the evil path was really
all that CF... a lot more just selfish rather than the high-minded psuedo
Objectivist philosophy it was supposed to be.

Perhaps they would have been better off just calling them good and
evil.

--
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
-- Narrator, FIGHT CLUB (1999)

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> "Cryofax" <Bark@TheMoon.com> wrote in message
>>> I agree. That is very cool. I know I have no emotional concerns over
>>> running over hookers in GTA
>>
>> I assume you get the "healing" treatment first, then run them over, then
>> get your money back, right? It's like its own mini game, "Prostitute
>> Killing Psycho Serial Murderer". Ah yes, good times.
>>
>> - Cryo
>>

> Heck yeah. You gotta get the "hook up" or else its just senseless murder.

LOL. At least then their lives had some meaning.

- Cryo