Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Does second hard drive overload 400watts smps

Last response: in Components
July 22, 2012 12:23:18 PM

Most likely it will not because HDD use very minimal power between 7~10watts.

But to have the exact answer, u have to post your complete system set-up and state whether you overclocked your CPU or not and if so, at what voltage.

You can check here as well http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp.
July 22, 2012 3:54:50 PM

2589706,2,83302 said:

But to have the exact answer, u have to post your complete system set-up and state whether you overclocked your CPU or not and if so, at what voltage.

You can check here as well http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp.[/quot

I have AMD 3800+ 64 bit dual core cpu
Asus M2N68-AM SE2 (AM2) MB
2 GB DDR2 Ram
160 GB Sata HDD
Nvidia
256MB GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Can i install a 500 GB second HDD without adversely affecting my 400watts smps
MY cpu is not overclocked
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 22, 2012 5:46:02 PM

Yes

Best solution

July 23, 2012 1:05:03 AM

sscalcuttawala said:
2589706,2,83302 said:

You can check here as well http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp.[/quot

I have AMD 3800+ 64 bit dual core cpu
Asus M2N68-AM SE2 (AM2) MB
2 GB DDR2 Ram
160 GB Sata HDD
Nvidia
256MB GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Can i install a 500 GB second HDD without adversely affecting my 400watts smps
MY cpu is not overclocked
said:

To my estimate, your system power usage is around 250~280W at max, so, you can safely add another HDD without an issue and you can even populate all your 3 remaining sata ports with HDD if you want to :D 

Cheers !!
July 23, 2012 3:27:26 PM

ttcboy said:
To my estimate, your system power usage is around 250~280W at max, so, you can safely add another HDD without an issue and you can even populate all your 3 remaining sata ports with HDD if you want to :D 

Cheers !!

Thanx dude!! The reason i was so persistant is that two of my MB's have been scorched due to defective SMPS so i dont wanna torch the third MB as well.
a b ) Power supply
July 23, 2012 3:36:50 PM

That's not too much power, that's defective smps or really bad wall power. I have friends in India (I'm assuming based on your name you are in South Asia) and a UPS is a great investment...just to cover for brownouts.
July 24, 2012 12:38:42 AM

sscalcuttawala said:
Thanx dude!! The reason i was so persistant is that two of my MB's have been scorched due to defective SMPS so i dont wanna torch the third MB as well.

For the PC, Power supply is one of the most important and least invested component. The good power supply will not only gives you cleaner and efficient power output, it will also protect ur mobo and components. Make sure u have a good one.

Like Temile said, if the area you live in have unstable voltage or frequent black outs, better invest in some UPS as well.
July 24, 2012 10:41:45 PM

ttcboy said:
For the PC, Power supply is one of the most important and least invested component. The good power supply will not only gives you cleaner and efficient power output, it will also protect ur mobo and components. Make sure u have a good one.

Like Temile said, if the area you live in have unstable voltage or frequent black outs, better invest in some UPS as well.

Hi!!
matter of fact after my first MB was scorched I bought a very reputed brand smps & installed a second HDD. soon after a few months the system become unstable & refused to boot up frequently as a result my second & new HDD began developing reallocated areas @ alarming pace & finally gave up,before that I had backed up all data to an external HDD.Luckily the HDD was under warranty & I got a new HDD from seagate.
I changed my ATX cabinet this time & as a result I am extremely wary of adding new components such as a second HDD to my system,though with a single & old HDD system is fine @ the moment.
I do not have any blackouts in my area though not sure about unstable voltage as other devices are working fine
July 25, 2012 2:57:30 AM

sscalcuttawala said:
Hi!!
matter of fact after my first MB was scorched I bought a very reputed brand smps & installed a second HDD. soon after a few months the system become unstable & refused to boot up frequently as a result my second & new HDD began developing reallocated areas @ alarming pace & finally gave up,before that I had backed up all data to an external HDD.Luckily the HDD was under warranty & I got a new HDD from seagate.
I changed my ATX cabinet this time & as a result I am extremely wary of adding new components such as a second HDD to my system,though with a single & old HDD system is fine @ the moment.
I do not have any blackouts in my area though not sure about unstable voltage as other devices are working fine

Unstable voltage is where the voltage of incoming power supply from the grid is fluctuate from the standard voltage. The symptoms are more easily be seen if u have those normal light bulbs and they dim or flicker when that happens. Good PSU have protection for it but low end ones dun have it.

If the PSU is overloaded because of the 2nd HDD, u won't be able to use it for one day and let alone a few months.

For the HDD, i don't know of others but i always have bad luck with Segate HDDs. My Hitachi HDDs are running fine for more then 6years now but within 3years, i've sent back 2 of my Segate HDDs for replacements.

What is the details such as brand/make and model of ur current PSU ? Be mindful that PSUs that come default with the casing are unreliable.
August 1, 2012 5:02:10 PM

@ ttcboy
I do not have any flickering with lights or other appliances & use all domestic appliances without any problems without any UPS even for an airconditioner
Right now I am using I Ball cabinet(ATX) with their default smps
The company is very well known for its cabinets & other products & they offer 3 years warranty on thier SMPS should it misbehave!!
model No i ball JSW 252 .U can check it out on net
Yeah my old seagate is working just fine never had any problems on it
BTW Seagate had reduced it warranty on its HDD from 5yr to 3 Yrs & NOW ITS GIVING ONLY 12 MONTHS WARRANTY ON ITS HDD!!!
Seems to have lost faith in its own abilities & products
WD is better here they offer 2 yr unconditional warranty
August 2, 2012 11:34:49 PM

Best answer selected by sscalcuttawala.
August 3, 2012 11:33:15 PM

@ ttcboy
the survey done by thinkdigit individual is based on his own opinion.
Practical application of his views is not possible.
What is available in market is what you can buy!! As for i ball smps i dunno how he is degrading it but all PC technicians recommend it for its quality as well as hassle free no questions asked 3 years warranty and its accurate power supply 400 watts means 400 watts unlike others who claim to have 450 watts but output power is less than claimed.
in any case the i ball ATX is best valued in market & what are you suppose to do if you buy A new ATX with stock PSU ,throw out the default on the roads & install one recommended by the expert????
August 4, 2012 2:25:57 AM

sscalcuttawala said:
@ ttcboy
the survey done by thinkdigit individual is based on his own opinion.
Practical application of his views is not possible.
What is available in market is what you can buy!! As for i ball smps i dunno how he is degrading it but all PC technicians recommend it for its quality as well as hassle free no questions asked 3 years warranty and its accurate power supply 400 watts means 400 watts unlike others who claim to have 450 watts but output power is less than claimed.
in any case the i ball ATX is best valued in market & what are you suppose to do if you buy A new ATX with stock PSU ,throw out the default on the roads & install one recommended by the expert????

I used to buy casing that come together with PSU because they are cheaper then buying separate for each and after frying a few CPU and mobos, I buy separate casing and PSU. It is not worth to save a few bucks to end up with the damaged system.

You may be able to replace the PSU without any question asked but who will pay for your fried cpu & mobo etc.. if anything goes wrong ? Even for the good PSU there is a chance that it might blow but it will never damage to any part of ur system.

For iball PSU/Casing , i never seen it in my local market and never used it before, so, i got no comment there.

Most of the branded casing in the market doesn't come with PSU so u have to buy it separately. My Current set-up is using Antec One Gaming Case with Corsair TX-750M because I overclocked my CPU and about to buy 2nd graphic card for cross fire. Since i've invested a lot in my system, i dun like to take chance with the PSU and end up with an expensive paper weights.

In the end, it's up to the user's choice how much they want to spend and what is their preference.
a b ) Power supply
August 4, 2012 9:20:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!