Sign in with
Your question

Help with using HDTV as a monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2012 12:09:07 AM

I recently got a new pc and decided to use my old LCD tv as a monitor. Its connected via HDMI and in games it looks perfect but in the desktop its very fuzzy and text is pixelated and hard to read. I searched online about this problem and people are saying that HDMI on a TV is messing with the signal that the PC is sending to it making the image all blurry and they seemed to fix it by renaming their HDMI input source to PC but my tv cant do that so is there another way to fix this? I already tried changing the resolutions and tried clear type but nothing seems to work. Its an Emerson 19 inch 720p 60hz tv model: LC195emx.

More about : hdtv monitor

February 1, 2012 12:33:11 AM

theres no point in using the hdmi cable unless you're using your tv for sound too. if you just need it for display use a vga cable. much easier and you'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration. i've only seen a couple flatscreens without a vga input.
m
l
February 1, 2012 12:47:36 AM

Ya but with VGA wouldn't video and game quality be worse?

Also for some reason I cant see my bios screen when I boot. I can only see it if i connect my brother's monitor to my computer.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2012 1:54:33 AM

seven7hseal said:
Ya but with VGA wouldn't video and game quality be worse?

Also for some reason I cant see my bios screen when I boot. I can only see it if i connect my brother's monitor to my computer.

Not being able to see your bios or see the post screen? if you press the button to bring up bios at post does it come up?

As for the blur, some tv's use a filter to blur images to make them look better. Since TV's are used mainly for just movies, they make the image slightly less sharp depending on the image filter, you should have more settings like "standard picture" under picture adjustments. You can change it from "dynamic/Movie/graphics/gaming" and see which allows unaltered picture.
I too use a TV as my monitor and this was all i needed to do.

As for VGA over Digital signal like DVI or HDMI you only lose quality at high resolutions when carrying alot over a long cable. Longer the VGA cable the more prone you are to lag or ghosting. This rarely happens unless you have a longer than 3-5 foot cable.
m
l
February 1, 2012 3:55:20 PM

the settings that change it from movie/gaming/personal/sports only changes the brightness,contrast,colors it doesnt really help with the blurry text. When i first installed my graphics card and hooked it up to my TV there was a .5 inch black boarder around the screen too and it was still pretty blurry so i decreased the overscan to get rid of the black boarders but its still blurry.
m
l
February 1, 2012 4:26:43 PM

Well usually those settings have a sharpness filter. Look for sharpness and adjust
m
l
!