Sign in with
Your question

Computer not booting up, RAM possibly to blame.

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2012 4:11:21 AM

Hello, I recently put together a computer for a friend and everything was going good until I turned it on.

When I turn it on, I get nothing. It's as if nothing is even plugged in to the monitor. I ruled out the monitor as the issue, I tried four different screens of different sizes.

I've also ruled out all incompatibilities except for the RAM. I put in 2 four gig sticks of Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1K2, only to realize that this type was not on the verified compatible list after I got it.

I found another set of 3 four gig sticks that are on the verified compatible list (Kingston KVR1333D3N9K3)

I have a couple more days left to return the ones I already bought, so I thought I'd run this past you fine folks and see if there's anything else I might have forgotten, overlooked, or just not known before I waste the vendor's time.

Here are the parts used in the build:
RAM: (2x4GB) KHX1333C9D3B1K2
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 5850
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
CPU unit: AMD FX 6100 - 3.3 GHz (six core)
Hard Drive: Barracuda 7200 1Tb
Power Supply: 850 watts

What happens when I boot up:
The monitor does not respond in any way when the computer is turned on, it might as well not be plugged in. Everything looks right internally except for a red led light labeled "DRAM led" which is a solid light.

Additional information:
Most rookie mistakes have been ruled out, I double checked all of the connections, installed everything correctly to the best of my knowledge (only third build, so I'm not infallible), all fans are working, all parts have power. The fact that I don't get any response to turning it on is what baffles me, it makes it hard to work with. (Should incompatible RAM complete prevent the computer from showing up on the monitor?) Also, I've looked through this forum's troubleshooting guide and I've tried everything that sounded likely.

Thanks a lot for your consideration, I'll watch this carefully so I can provide any extra information anyone might need.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2012 4:59:12 AM

Most likely, the incompatible memory modules are your issue... You may be amazed at the myriad of problems that can cause. I don't see anything fundimentally wrong with the build (That swapping ram shouldn't fix). Don't know about the PSU but since it isn't pulling near 500W, you should be okay there.
m
l
Related resources
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2012 6:00:45 AM

I missed that sorry.

Have you tried a single stick of RAM in all of the board's slots?
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:12:16 AM

anort3 said:
I missed that sorry.

Have you tried a single stick of RAM in all of the board's slots?

Yeah, that was one of the things it mentioned in the user manual, no dice there either :(  . I tried every combination in every slot with no success.
m
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2012 6:53:02 AM

That checklist is pretty much complete. It's either bad RAM, a bad motherboard, a bad GPU or a bad power supply.

If I had to guess I would say it's a bad board. It seems to have quite a few bad reviews on newegg. 15% 1 egg reviews is too high a rate to just be user error. It seems to be hit or miss and quite a few DOA boards and issues with the DRAM light you mentioned even when using RAM on the QVL.
m
l
!