Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I can't decide whether to go with i7 or i5 ivy bridge HELP!!

Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2012 1:31:18 PM

Currently I'm already buying stuffs for my new rig. I already got the mobo and the powersupply.
My mobo is asus h77 and I think h77 can't overclock cpu but it fully support the ivy bridge.
Now. I can't decide if i7 and i5 because if I choose i7 3770k I will use my old GPU which is ati 5670 and probably I can buy Gpu next month
And If choose i5 3570k I can buy powerful Nvidia card.

I know you guys will recommend me i5 because My idea for my new rig is for gaming only. But I do hardcore video editing too. My classmate and my teacher always ask me to edit stuffs. So I am a editor and a gamer.

Whats the best choice?
Thanks for the time reading it :) 

More about : decide ivy bridge

Best solution

a c 116 à CPUs
July 22, 2012 1:51:35 PM

If you use the h77 chipset, there is no point in getting K-chips since the main reason to get 'K' is for overclocking which you cannot do on b75/h77 so you can save another $20-30 there.

As for 'hardcore video editing', you would need to be more specific about what that means for you. If this involves lots of transcoding and your software supports QuickSync, any IB-based CPU will run circles around anything else. If you slap heaps of graphics effects, the software may use OpenCL or CUDA which makes the CPU less relevant.
July 22, 2012 1:57:53 PM

InvalidError said:
If you use the h77 chipset, there is no point in getting K-chips since the main reason to get 'K' is for overclocking which you cannot do on b75/h77 so you can save another $20-30 there.

As for 'hardcore video editing', you would need to be more specific about what that means for you. If this involves lots of transcoding and your software supports QuickSync, any IB-based CPU will run circles around anything else. If you slap heaps of graphics effects, the software may use OpenCL or CUDA which makes the CPU less relevant.

Well. I don't have any idea what that means :p  but I always use adobe cs5 for pictures. probably I'll buy cs6 and I use sony vegas for video editing. So which is better to make that two smooth editing? Good cpu which is i7? Or probably that two needs powerful GPU
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2012 2:00:31 PM

i7 2600 no K because your mobo will not allow it well it will but either upgrade mobo and 2600k or just adding a i7 2600
m
l
July 22, 2012 2:01:56 PM

The i5 will be perfect for your needs, paying extra for the i7 will not prove any better.
In gaming they are just about neck and neck, that's because most games don't use 4 cores let alone extra threads that are available.
In the UK, the price difference is about £50 from the top i5 to the lower i7, and that's money best spent on something else...
...like a night out, spent on the kids, or, with the way prices are going, a 120gig SDD, just wait a month or two, lol
m
l
July 22, 2012 2:07:20 PM

In here i wrote in details what to afraid of getting an IVY cpu:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/340000-10-corei-792...

The over heating problem is not releated with OC or how good your cpu cooler will be.

The ivy cpu head spreaders removed compared with an older cpu, thermal camera is used and any development to the issue i posted above.

also in the bottom you will find 2 sandy processors for the LGA 2011 if you like.
m
l
July 22, 2012 2:08:56 PM

xupaguy said:
The i5 will be perfect for your needs, paying extra for the i7 will not prove any better.
In gaming they are just about neck and neck, that's because most games don't use 4 cores let alone extra threads that are available.
In the UK, the price difference is about £50 from the top i5 to the lower i7, and that's money best spent on something else...
...like a night out, spent on the kids, or, with the way prices are going, a 120gig SDD, just wait a month or two, lol

did you even read that he does video editing :pfff: 
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:02:00 AM

Best answer selected by fajardokier.
m
l
!