What size flash memory card for my Canon s410

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 17, 2005 4:54:12 AM

I recently bought a new Canon s410. The Flash memory card is very
small- 32 I think. Obviously I need to upgrade. I was thinking to a
512. Is there something I should look for in a flash memory card? Any
specifics I need? And, how many pics should a 512 give me?

Thanks
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:13:23 PM

Sennin wrote:
> I recently bought a new Canon s410. The Flash memory card is very
> small- 32 I think. Obviously I need to upgrade. I was thinking to a
> 512. Is there something I should look for in a flash memory card? Any
> specifics I need? And, how many pics should a 512 give me?
>
> Thanks

A 4mp camera will usually produce JPEG format picture files of between
..5 and 2mp in size depending on compression and subject matter. I
believe that a 256mb card would be a good size. I all probability a
512mb card would only get filled up on a particularly long, and/or
scenic, vacation. I filled one 128 meg card and a 256 meg card on a 7
day Alaskan Cruise (470 pictures). You should get between 400 and 500
pictures on a 512 meg card.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Thanks for the great replies. I have decided on a 256 MB. Does it
matter what kind, style, brand? Or anything else to watch out for?
June 17, 2005 6:10:54 PM

On Friday 17 June 2005 00:54, Sennin wrote:

> I recently bought a new Canon s410. The Flash memory card is very
> small- 32 I think. Obviously I need to upgrade. I was thinking to a
> 512. Is there something I should look for in a flash memory card?
> Any specifics I need? And, how many pics should a 512 give me?

The FIRST thing I look for in a flash card is getting the most megabytes
for the least megabucks. And I really don't worry too much about how
"fast" the card is. Speed makes a difference, if you're shooting lots
of shots, very rapidly, like with sports or action photography, since
fast card writes are needed to prevent the camera's internal buffer
from maxing out and "freezing" the camera. But for average picture
taking, most any card is fast enough.

A 512MB card, based on Canon's own file size specs for the S410, will
hold about 225 maximum resolution images at the "best quality" JPEG
compression. I suspect this is a conservative estimate, and such a
card will hold more. Is that enough images per card for you?

Personally, for safety, I'd rather use several, smaller capacity cards
distributing the day's shoot over them, even if I don't fill each card.
My rule of thumb for the capacity of each is around 100 images of the
largest file size I MIGHT use for a particular camera. For example,
with my Canon D30, a 3.3 MP camera, I use 256MB cards, since they will
hold 90+ RAW format images -- pretty close to that 100 criteria -- or
around 200 "best quality" JPEGs. I have 6 cards. This is more than
enough storage, except for the most extreme day's shooting.

FWIW, I think the 100 images criteria comes from my long ago and far far
away, b&w film, one camera, one lens amateur days, when I had one 36
exposure roll in the camera, and two taped to the camera strap, a
potential maximum of 108 shots.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

It depends on how large the file will be-mine Kodal Cx 7300 with 3.2
megapixels needs 750 kB for each picture, in best quality, and my 128 MB
card can take up to 160.Your camera's instruction booklet certainly says
something relevant.I bought a lexar card (33 euro) and works fine up till
now.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> I recently bought a new Canon s410. The Flash memory card is very
> small- 32 I think. Obviously I need to upgrade. I was thinking to a
> 512. Is there something I should look for in a flash memory card? Any
> specifics I need? And, how many pics should a 512 give me?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:48:17 PM

On Friday 17 June 2005 13:37, Sennin wrote:

> Thanks for the great replies. I have decided on a 256 MB. Does it
> matter what kind, style, brand? Or anything else to watch out for?

In my experience, for the most part, no. Just buy from reputable
retailers/discounters so that if you get a bad one, you can exchange it
for a good one.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

"Sennin" <stst14@cs.com> writes:
>I recently bought a new Canon s410. The Flash memory card is very
>small- 32 I think. Obviously I need to upgrade. I was thinking to a
>512. Is there something I should look for in a flash memory card? Any
>specifics I need? And, how many pics should a 512 give me?

I have a S410, and always shoot at the Superfine Large setting (maximum
quality available). At that setting, the camera estimates 123 pictures
will fit on a 256 MB card. So a 512 MB card will give you nearly 250
still images. (Actual numbers may be larger or smaller depending on
image complexity).

You can get more images by selecting a lower resolution or lower
quality, but I don't recommend that. CF memory is cheap. Video eats
space rapidly, so if you want to shoot movies you need to allow for
that.

Dave
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:16:00 PM

Stefan Patric wrote:
> On Friday 17 June 2005 13:37, Sennin wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the great replies. I have decided on a 256 MB. Does it
> > matter what kind, style, brand? Or anything else to watch out for?
>
> In my experience, for the most part, no. Just buy from reputable
> retailers/discounters so that if you get a bad one, you can exchange it
> for a good one.
>
> --
> Stefan Patric
> NoLife Polymath Group
> tootek2@yahoo.com

Is there something about "speed rating" that I need to worry about?
!