Last response: in Components
July 22, 2012 4:12:27 PM

I bought the CM Elite 431 plus last night and migrated my:
Intel i5 3450 3.1Ghz
MSI H77MA-G43
Kingston 4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Samsung 320Gb Green SATA
500W PSU

from my old case. The primary reason I went for this particular case is because of the USB 3.0 front panel (the X-dock didn't hurt of course) but whenever I connect my WD My Passport 500Gb USB 3.0, it would recognize it for a few secs then eventually drop out and back in after a few secs but it never can sustain the connection for longer than a few seconds. I've tried installing the updates for the USB 3.0, uninstalled and re-installed the USB 3.0 driver to no avail. The fact that when I connect a USB 2.0 device to it, it won't drop it. Anything else I could try? or should I just take it back and get a new one?
a b ) Power supply
July 22, 2012 5:01:46 PM

front usb ports and mic inputs don't always like to work, mine work, for now, but all of my friends front panel inputs have died on different brand cases.
Related resources
July 23, 2012 1:06:27 PM

well, I got mine 2 nights ago. I'm wondering though, It can't be the mobo usb 3.0 controller, can it? since the same front usb 3.0 port could sustain the connection if a USB 2.0 device is connected to it, yes?
a b ) Power supply
July 23, 2012 1:37:10 PM

byuson said:
well, I got mine 2 nights ago. I'm wondering though, It can't be the mobo usb 3.0 controller, can it? since the same front usb 3.0 port could sustain the connection if a USB 2.0 device is connected to it, yes?

I'm nearly certain it is the crappy front connectors and the cable that goes to the board. Those cables are usually poorly shielded, and it doesn't seem to me that any manufacturer would "stress test" their cables for a long time.

This has happened before when USB 2.0 first came out, and a few new cases with USB 2.0 support at the front panel either didn't work reliably at 2.0 speeds or had problems with certain types of USB 2.0 devices which were marginally compliant signal-quality wise.
a b ) Power supply
July 23, 2012 1:39:06 PM

If you want to tinker, you can try re-routing the USB header cable internally and move it away from all other cables. With a flakey connection, I wouldn't even trust casual data transfers.
!