Testing the Overheat with a small program

Salerg123

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hey guys, I have a question.

I'm curious, right now, when I play video games on my PC for about 30 minutes, it will cause a BSOD. So, I wanted to test if my i7 2600k CPU is overheating so I wrote a small program. The program basically creates 8 threads and each thread runs an infinite loop. As I run the program, I check the task manager under the performance tab and I see the CPU usage is at 100%, all the processors are working at max speed, and that's what I want. So the next step I do is, check the core temp to see the temperature of the CPU. Well, the CPU temp hits between 96 and 98 within 5 minutes, but after, for about 30 minutes( I stopped it after 30 minutes), the CPU temp does not go any higher. So my question, does this determine that my CPU is not overheating or, better to say, not causing the BSOD, or do i need to take in other factors that will cause the CPU to overheat.

- Sal

If it is hitting 96 or 98 degrees under stress testing then it is overheating. What program are you using to monitor the temps. Also are you using the stock cooler or aftermarket cooler.

The problem is you are stress testing it with the stock cooler. Setting up a stress test with something like Prime95 on the stock cooler will cause heat problems because the stress test will make work the processor far harder than normal operations. This is extra work will cause extra heat, heat that the stock cooler can't dissipate. If you got an aftermarket cooler and ran the stress test again the temps would be probably be in the 50's or 60's under load.

G

I don't belive can get that high even with the stock if the airflow in the pc case is good.

I mean ok it spreads the heat all over the motherborad the stock but the case dosen't help at all ?

Thermal paste issue can have such problems also

wthout enough data what we can do ?

Salerg123

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Graphic Card: PNY GeForce GTX 560
SSD: Samsung Solid State Drive 830Series (MZ-7PC256N/AM)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1333 (CML8GX3M2A13333C9)
PC Case: CoolerMaster Mystique 632S
InTake,OutTake: One 120x120x25mm front fan (Intake), One 120x120x25mm rear fan (Exhaust)
CPU Cooler: It's the basic one that came with the CPU, I don't know it's specs
CPU HZ: Under the Core Temp program I use, it shows 4429.85MHz

Hope this helps.

Salerg123

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Here is the thing with the thermal paste. When I was building the PC, I had a little problem installing the CPU fan so i kept placing the fan in and removing it. After that happening several times, I felt maybe I should put more thermal paste so I did. Til this day, I keep feeling I put too much thermal paste. Can that cause an issue of the blue screen?

G

Once again the same problem's the box dosen't really help at all but the side the openings are to close to the rear if you have the box near to a wall the hot air is getting back inside.

Anyway if you didn't make any mistakes on the termal paste puting it at the center on the cpu and then attack the cooler without moving it that was a big mistake.

But as the case dosen't help at all you can count is the cooler that spreads the heat all arround for sure.

Try adding 2 nf-p12 noctua fans by the side and a better cooler that blows the heat out of the rear will be a safe solution.

This processor no way can get that hot you can count 60 c max without oc.

Is good if you read my 1st poste at the link above he had larger card than yours and i had no choise to tell him the best cooling solution i had that was Reaven Rv03 as a pc case.

Again the problem is you are trying to stress test the CPU on a stock cooler. I took a Phenom II 1045T not overclocked and stress tested in on Prime 95 with the stock cooler. Within a minute or two it hit the high 80's or low 90's and it was steadily continuing to rise. The point is stock coolers are good enough for everyday use but they can't handle the extra heat created by stress testing or overclocking. If you have an aftermarket cooler or know somone who does try it out and see what happens. I bet with a good aftermarket cooler the temps would be fine in stress testing.

What are you talking about, do you even know? He is using a stock cooler, stock Intel coolers come with thermal paste pre-applied. The problem isn't the "box" or thermal paste it's the fact that he is trying to stress test the CPU with the stock cooler and the stock cooler can't dissipate the extra heat caused by stress testing.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
98C is NOT fine even with the stock cooler stress testing.

Most likely you did put too much thermal paste on it. And yes it can cause overheating.

Take out the cpu heatsink, and clean the surface of both the heatsink and the cpu itself using a lint-free towel and isopropyl alcohol(the purest you can find, 99% if possible, though 70% is OK) q-tips get the job done too, be careful not to scrape anything. Wipe it till the thermal paste is removed completely, then put a dot of thermal paste about half the size of a rice grain in the middle of the heatsink and gently mount it again.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

Did you even read his damn post? he said he applied more thermal paste to the one in the stock heatsink, that could definetly cause overheating. Stop misleading people.

I really don't understand why you guys think the stock cooler isn't capable of keeping things >65c at full load in a case with minor airflow. I haven't used intels stock coolers but AMDs stock kept my athlon 2 x3 below 55c in 20+ minutes in prime95.

I can understand your guyses theory if he was using something like intel burn but during gaming I see the exact same temps as if I was using prime95.

In any case, yes reapply the thermal paste, do NOT EVER reuse the old stuff that was on before, make sure you get it all off cleanly.

G

The missed the part that the op in here did put thermal paste rong, they missed the part i was speaking about 2 NF-P12 Noctuas by the side and a cpu cooler that blowing the air to the rear!

The missed the part of Raven rv03 in the end are we tring to solve the problem of the op in here or what ?

Why are you even suggesting a new case and 25 dollar fans? A pair of 5 dollar yate loons would also be an option and his case while not the biggest and best is still better than the vast majority of dell cases. (afaik they use stock coolers aswell.)

G

I gave all the possible solutions he can choose what ever he likes why don't you do the same and in the end is his choise.

Why this and Why that in end your problem is i don't say the same staff with you?

Can you write that in your native language and pass it through google translate. I don't want to take that out of context :3

Edit: I think I get what your saying, you are upset that I keep asking why you chose what you did when the choice is ultimately his. To that I retort by saying he might not be as into the tech field as we are, people usually come here, ask what they need to buy and go along there merry way. But I was just wondering why you chose to go with the most expensive fans (besides delta/sankyo etc) you could find. Noctua fans aren't really that good, especially not Price/performance wise. Though they are quiet. I think that we need to be more conscious about what we choose to suggest to people as they tend to just pick up the idea and run with it :/