Solved

Why won't my speakers work?

Hello,
I recently got a new computer, and the speakers on the screen have hardly any volume.. I tried attaching my old speakers, but am getting NO sound from them.. can anyone steer me in the right direction?
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about speakers work
  1. Do they work with an ipod or MP3 or another devie?
  2. Are the speakers amplified. If not, then that's why your sound is so low. The motherboard sound system generally outputs line level sound which requires an amplifier to drive most speakers.
  3. I;m pretty dumb about this sruff.. all I know is the speakers in the monitor are the only ones working right now, and I have the volume as high as it will go which is NOT high! I don't know if they are amplified or not, and don't know if they will work with another devise, as I really don't have one to check with. All I do know is that they worked with my old computer, but it was XP and this is Win7.. don't know if that makes any diff or not. I plugged them into the back green>green, but I'm getting nothing from them. :/
  4. Do you have to plug the speakers into a wall socket or USB port (the thing you put a memory stick into)?

    Have you checked if the volume control on the speakers are on full?

    Have you check if the speakers are switched on?

    Do they make a loud noise when you plug it in into the computer?

    What speakers are they (make, model).
  5. First off;

    If you have monitor speakers, what are they plugged into to get their sound?

    For the added speakers;

    Go into your Control Panel > Audio settings > and make sure the port is enabled, and additionally that those added speakers are the ones Win7 is listed as using in the first place.
  6. jay_nar2012 said:
    Do you have to plug the speakers into a wall socket or USB port (the thing you put a memory stick into)?

    Have you checked if the volume control on the speakers are on full?

    Have you check if the speakers are switched on?

    Do they make a loud noise when you plug it in into the computer?

    What speakers are they (make, model).


    No they are not plugged into a wall socker, but into the back of the computer.. The plug in thingee is green and I plugged it into the green receiver on the back of the cpu..
    Yes the speakers volume control is on.. No they make no noise when I plugged them in.. They are Altec Lansing speakers I used with my old computer, and they worked then.. that was running winXP.. Maybe they are too old to work with this one.. this is Windows 7.. Beginning to think I'm too old to get into new things :/
  7. Doesn't matter about age.

    So are they portable or USB powered?
    Maybe they run out of batterys.
  8. 4Ryan6 said:
    First off;

    If you have monitor speakers, what are they plugged into to get their sound?

    For the added speakers;

    Go into your Control Panel > Audio settings > and make sure the port is enabled, and additionally that those added speakers are the ones Win7 is listed as using in the first place.


    Hi.. I'm really not sure what the speakers on the monitor are plugged into.. I was just told by the fellow setting it up that they are in the monitor..
    I went to control panel, but found nothing about which port /and or if it was enabled.. when I go to Cntrl panel>Hardware and sound I find Realtek HD audio manager, but nothing about what port. it just says (someplace in there) that this device is working properly.. Maybe I just need to contact the fellow that installed it for me..? Think I'm getting too old for the new ways.. :) :/
  9. The speakers should be powered by a power source being altec lansing speakers.

    On the speakers trace all wires to where they go (this wire goes to the other speaker, this wire goes to the green thing for example).
  10. jay_nar2012 said:
    Doesn't matter about age.

    So are they portable or USB powered?
    Maybe they run out of batterys.


    I don't think they have batteries.. They plugged into the back of the cpu.. one cord plugged into the cpu and the other speaker plugged into that speaker.. The mail speaker (the one with the vol control) does have another connection of some sort, but there is no cord for that.. ??
  11. Look on the back of the main speaker, is there an empty hole or port or connector?
  12. jay_nar2012 said:
    The speakers should be powered by a power source being altec lansing speakers.

    On the speakers trace all wires to where they go (this wire goes to the other speaker, this wire goes to the green thing for example).



    Ok.. on my old speakers.. one cord plugged into the cpu and the other speaker plugged into that speaker.. The main speaker (the one with the vol control) does have another connection of some sort, but there is no cord for that.. ?? There IS a cord with a green end plugged into my monitor, and the other end is a usb plug plugged into a usb port on the back of the computer.. Wow.. I certainly am not making a lot of sense here..
    At this point the only speakers working are the ones in the monitor.. And they are NOT at all loud enough for an old foggie like me! :/
  13. jay_nar2012 said:
    Look on the back of the main speaker, is there an empty hole or port or connector?

    Yes.. With one small prong (or whatever you call it) sticking outward..
  14. Why don't you buy an cheap new pair, some cheap ones would still be loud like this one- http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S220-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000RQSGYO

    Do you know the model of the speakers, should say somewhere on the back or at the bottom somewhere.
  15. This is almost funny!! I am laughing at myself right now!! OUT loud!!
  16. Why is it funny?

    Did you find something obvious out and make them work?
  17. I think that's what I need to do.. or call the person who installed this for me and have him do it.. OR tell me what I need to do.. Thank you for your help.. I apologize for being SO dumb about this stuff!! Hope you have a wonderful day...
  18. jay_nar2012 said:
    Why is it funny?

    Did you find something obvious out and make them work?


    NO!! Just laughing at my lack of knowledge..
  19. This site is for helping people who have problems with tech or don't know much about tech.

    I don't mind how 'dumb' you be about something just as long as it gets solved.

    I think you need to power your speakers if there is a empty hole with a pin sticking out, thats probably why they are not working, near that hole there should be ratings (e.g. 5v 1A), could you type them or type the model of the speakers?
  20. WOW.. I can hardly read the #'s by the pin but I'm pretty sure they are Dc in12v 0.5A
    Model NO:ADA245
  21. Best answer
    You could either look for your power supply.
    Or buy this- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lansing-ADA215-Speakers-replacement-adaptor/dp/B006GGP7BE

    Or call the guy who installed your PC and ask if he put it anywhere.
  22. Best answer selected by thumbody2130.
  23. Thank you so much for your patience with me. I went and looked for the power supply, and plugged it it.. and it WORKED!! .. never realized there was a power cord to my speakers before.. well... had the old computer for almost 10 yrs and the speakers just sit there behind the monitor.. WOW.. how dumb can I be?? Thank you!
    OH.. I am in the US btw..
Ask a new question

Read More

Speakers Computers Components