Why won't my speakers work?

thumbody2130

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,
I recently got a new computer, and the speakers on the screen have hardly any volume.. I tried attaching my old speakers, but am getting NO sound from them.. can anyone steer me in the right direction?

thumbody2130

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I;m pretty dumb about this sruff.. all I know is the speakers in the monitor are the only ones working right now, and I have the volume as high as it will go which is NOT high! I don't know if they are amplified or not, and don't know if they will work with another devise, as I really don't have one to check with. All I do know is that they worked with my old computer, but it was XP and this is Win7.. don't know if that makes any diff or not. I plugged them into the back green>green, but I'm getting nothing from them. :/

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Do you have to plug the speakers into a wall socket or USB port (the thing you put a memory stick into)?

Have you checked if the volume control on the speakers are on full?

Have you check if the speakers are switched on?

Do they make a loud noise when you plug it in into the computer?

What speakers are they (make, model).

First off;

If you have monitor speakers, what are they plugged into to get their sound?

For the added speakers;

Go into your Control Panel > Audio settings > and make sure the port is enabled, and additionally that those added speakers are the ones Win7 is listed as using in the first place.

thumbody2130

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

No they are not plugged into a wall socker, but into the back of the computer.. The plug in thingee is green and I plugged it into the green receiver on the back of the cpu..
Yes the speakers volume control is on.. No they make no noise when I plugged them in.. They are Altec Lansing speakers I used with my old computer, and they worked then.. that was running winXP.. Maybe they are too old to work with this one.. this is Windows 7.. Beginning to think I'm too old to get into new things :/

thumbody2130

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Hi.. I'm really not sure what the speakers on the monitor are plugged into.. I was just told by the fellow setting it up that they are in the monitor..
I went to control panel, but found nothing about which port /and or if it was enabled.. when I go to Cntrl panel>Hardware and sound I find Realtek HD audio manager, but nothing about what port. it just says (someplace in there) that this device is working properly.. Maybe I just need to contact the fellow that installed it for me..? Think I'm getting too old for the new ways.. :) :/

thumbody2130

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

I don't think they have batteries.. They plugged into the back of the cpu.. one cord plugged into the cpu and the other speaker plugged into that speaker.. The mail speaker (the one with the vol control) does have another connection of some sort, but there is no cord for that.. ??

thumbody2130

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Ok.. on my old speakers.. one cord plugged into the cpu and the other speaker plugged into that speaker.. The main speaker (the one with the vol control) does have another connection of some sort, but there is no cord for that.. ?? There IS a cord with a green end plugged into my monitor, and the other end is a usb plug plugged into a usb port on the back of the computer.. Wow.. I certainly am not making a lot of sense here..
At this point the only speakers working are the ones in the monitor.. And they are NOT at all loud enough for an old foggie like me! :/

thumbody2130

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I think that's what I need to do.. or call the person who installed this for me and have him do it.. OR tell me what I need to do.. Thank you for your help.. I apologize for being SO dumb about this stuff!! Hope you have a wonderful day...

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
This site is for helping people who have problems with tech or don't know much about tech.

I don't mind how 'dumb' you be about something just as long as it gets solved.

I think you need to power your speakers if there is a empty hole with a pin sticking out, thats probably why they are not working, near that hole there should be ratings (e.g. 5v 1A), could you type them or type the model of the speakers?

thumbody2130

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your patience with me. I went and looked for the power supply, and plugged it it.. and it WORKED!! .. never realized there was a power cord to my speakers before.. well... had the old computer for almost 10 yrs and the speakers just sit there behind the monitor.. WOW.. how dumb can I be?? Thank you!
OH.. I am in the US btw..