Building a Custom gaming PC. Looking for some advice on configurations

Hi guys I am looking for some advice on getting new Gaming PC. I want to assemble the PC myself and want to know what configuration would be good for playing high end graphics games like upcoming GTA V and Max Payne 3.
I would be upgrading the system so that it runs games smoothly for at least few years like 2-3 years.

My budget is $800 - $900.

The configuration I thought of buying is this (the prices are from local market):

Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1155 Core i7-2600K Processor ($365)
8 GB RAM 1333 DD3 MHz ( 2 X Kingston DDR3 4 GB Server RAM ) ($92)
Motherboard (Please recommend)
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card ($260)
Seagate 2TB HDD (I have it)
Corsair CMPSU-800GUK 800 Watts PSU
Corsair CWCH60 Cooler ( Liquid Cooling)

I am not looking for very very extreme gaming PC. I want to play games in high graphics mode ( ultra is not always needed for me). I am also learning D3D 11 game programming so would be using that PC for programming also. So please suggest me if the above config is really good and please suggest other options also.


1. Is is good to get a high end i5 processor than a medium i7?
2. Is it really good to have a liquid cooling system?

Thanks
33 answers Last reply
More about building custom gaming advice configurations
  1. I think a good high end i5 is better than a medium i7 but I could be wrong. Did you search the internet for benchmarks/comparisons?
    Liquid cooling system is good but do you really need it? If you're not going to overclock a lot you can easily do with decent air cooling which will be cheaper and less complicated
  2. i5 2500k
    gtx 570
    fill in the blanks
    you should be able to build a pc around those specs and.still keep it under 800-900 bux
  3. Need a $900 custom Build CPU

    Approximate Purchase Date: this week
    Budget Range: $800 - 900 (after rebates)
    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and Game programming
    Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mice, monitor, speakers, cabinet, OS
    SLI or Crossfire: yes
    Over clocking: Maybe
    Monitor Resolution: : 1920 X 1080

    I have 2 TB HDD, Dell 22" Full HD Monitor (192 X 1080), Sony DVD / RW , 7.1 Home Theater, Cabinet, Razor Keyboard and mice combo.

    So just need a CPU.
  4. I want to know which mother board will be best suited with i5 2500k and GTX 570.
    And also what would be the recommended power suply like eg. 650 W.
  5. just a cpu with gaming inmind ? the 2500k
    what gpu you working with?
  6. FlintIronStagg said:
    i5 2500k
    gtx 570
    fill in the blanks
    you should be able to build a pc around those specs and.still keep it under 800-900 bux


    Yeah just swap out the i7 for the 2500k as there is very little difference in gaming and you could use the money to buy a gtx570. Try this motherboard is should help you in terms of overclocking the 2500k.
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63945&vpn=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3&manufacture=ASRock
    If you're not going to overclock go with the i5 2500. If you overclock you may need an aftermarket cooler for the cpu.
  7. you can run a 500w antech corsair or seasonic to power it. if sli is an option you want later, get the forementioned brands around the 850w range.
    the 570 requires a pciex16 slot and if sli then 2x slots with at least the slots in 8x/8x in sli mode
    1155 z68 should be a good board and socket to look for and offer ivy bridge compatibility for future upgrades
  8. itspriyank said:
    Need a $900 custom Build CPU

    Approximate Purchase Date: this week
    Budget Range: $800 - 900 (after rebates)
    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and Game programming
    Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mice, monitor, speakers, cabinet, OS
    SLI or Crossfire: yes
    Over clocking: Maybe
    Monitor Resolution: : 1920 X 1080

    I have 2 TB HDD, Dell 22" Full HD Monitor (192 X 1080), Sony DVD / RW , 7.1 Home Theater, Cabinet, Razor Keyboard and mice combo.

    So just need a CPU.


    Go with i5 2500 (i5 2500k - if you want to oc),it is more than sufficient for gaming.
    and msi gtx 560 ti hawk (it overclocks really well and is close to 570 in performance when overclocked).

    hope it helps
  9. FlintIronStagg said:
    just a cpu with gaming inmind ? the 2500k
    what gpu you working with?


    OwenNRX70 said:
    Yeah just swap out the i7 for the 2500k as there is very little difference in gaming and you could use the money to buy a gtx570. Try this motherboard is should help you in terms of overclocking the 2500k.
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63945&vpn=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3&manufacture=ASRock
    If you're not going to overclock go with the i5 2500. If you overclock you may need an aftermarket cooler for the cpu.


    As you suggested I would go for GTX 570. I don't think overclocking would be really necessary these days with such config. Maybe later on. What about power supply?
  10. OwenNRX70 said:
    Yeah just swap out the i7 for the 2500k as there is very little difference in gaming and you could use the money to buy a gtx570. Try this motherboard is should help you in terms of overclocking the 2500k.
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63945&vpn=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3&manufacture=ASRock
    If you're not going to overclock go with the i5 2500. If you overclock you may need an aftermarket cooler for the cpu.

    and no you wont need a water cooler for overclocking the 2500k.
    a hyper 212 should do.the trick
  11. itspriyank said:
    As you suggested I would go for GTX 570. I don't think overclocking would be really necessary these days with such config. Maybe later on. What about power supply?

    already answered i would recommend the corsair tx850 for sli config
  12. Well for a power supply stick to a trusted brand like, seasonic, antec, OCZ or Corsair.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&cm_sp=Cat_Power_Supplies-_-Hot_Deals-_-17-139-020 This is pretty good.
  13. itspriyank said:
    As you suggested I would go for GTX 570. I don't think overclocking would be really necessary these days with such config. Maybe later on. What about power supply?


    you can get the same performance with the 560 ti hawk and you can save $100.
    it's up to you
    just go and check the reviews of 560ti hawk to get a better idea.
    Are you from india?
  14. ^^ would work as well but for future sli if thats what you want then the forementioned 850 will be sufficient and prevent money spent now and later
  15. p_bug said:
    you can get the same performance with the 560 ti hawk and you can save $100.
    it's up to you
    just go and check the reviews of 560ti hawk to get a better idea.
    Are you from india?

    the hawk is overclocked with voltage control... overclock a 570 and it will outperform the hawk . the 448 core ti would be a better choice imo for Compared performance but finding another to sli later might be tough. still i would go 570
  16. yep i am from India.

    (sorry prices are in INR)
    So what I decided is like this :

    Intel 3.3 GHz LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K Processor
    http://goo.gl/1zGuK


    Want to decide if I should go for
    MSI NVIDIA N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC 1.25 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    http://goo.gl/PwUwR
    Sparkle NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    http://goo.gl/fNOMH
  17. CPU - intel 2500k - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    CPU COOLER - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
    MOTHERBOARD - ASUS P8Z77-V LX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131824
    MEMORY - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233202
    PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
    GPU - MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582

    TOTAL COST = $864.94

    OF course all this is rather dependant on you already having a decent large enough PC Case, knowing what make and model PC case you have in the first place would of greatly helped me in my choice selection.
  18. if the price diff is10k ir then id get the 560ti the 570 is faster but wouldnt justify the 10k diff in price
  19. itspriyank said:
    yep i am from India.

    (sorry prices are in INR)
    So what I decided is like this :

    Intel 3.3 GHz LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K Processor
    http://goo.gl/1zGuK


    Want to decide if I should go for
    MSI NVIDIA N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC 1.25 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    http://goo.gl/PwUwR
    Sparkle NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    http://goo.gl/fNOMH


    Dude i am from india too.
    and please don't purchase from flipkart, prices are a bit too high.
    Just go to a dealer and buy directly from him.
    My friend bought the same 570 card for 21000
    I would strongly recommend you to buy the msi 560 ti hawk and overclock it..it's really easy and it will perform same as a reference gtx 570 and you can get it from a msi dealer for rs 15500.
  20. I just linked FK for reference. Would be buying locally.
  21. Uther39 said:
    CPU - intel 2500k - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    CPU COOLER - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
    MOTHERBOARD - ASUS P8Z77-V LX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131824
    MEMORY - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233202
    PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
    GPU - MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582

    TOTAL COST = $864.94

    OF course all this is rather dependant on you already having a decent large enough PC Case, knowing what make and model PC case you have in the first place would of greatly helped me in my choice selection.


    I have a large size cabinet which will adjust all of these. Thanks for you help.
  22. itspriyank said:
    I just linked FK for reference. Would be buying locally.


    Are you still bent on buying the 570?
    Read this
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-560-ti-hawk-review/22
  23. FlintIronStagg said:
    the hawk is overclocked with voltage control... overclock a 570 and it will outperform the hawk . the 448 core ti would be a better choice imo for Compared performance but finding another to sli later might be tough. still i would go 570


    you are right but the 570 is around $110 costlier than the hawk also
  24. I have decided on everything as uther39 suggested. But I will decide for GPU after reading reviews and going through benchmarks.
    Also one deciding factor is which of the GPU's is going to be listed in recommended specs for games for a longer time.
  25. OUCH, then like the other fella said do not buy from flipkart!
  26. But it will give you an idea of what components you are looking for that have good upgrade-ability and longevity.
  27. I would check rates with local dealers first.
  28. Thats hard to know, but i would reckon on 3 - 5 years.
  29. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product