G

Does anyone know what this means?

I have a bx mobo with 96mb ram (64+32 mb dimms).
I just got a 128 dimm, and placed it on slot 3. obviously, it wasnt very stable. so i ditched the 32mb stick. When I boot now, on the bios start-up, it says "MEMORY UPGRADE POSSIBLE FOR SINGLE-ROW DIMM ONLY"
any idea what it means? it still works, with 192mb of RAM, but it worries me.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Gee, I had an old 486 once that wouldn't read double sided ram...But I thought all the new boards worked fine with it.

Out of curiosity, did u disable "quick boot up" in ur bios??
With this enabled you may see 192mb ram but not really be using it.

I had a problem once where I disabled quick boot up in the bios and all of a sudden I had half the ram it was reporting previously....I then checked the dimm itself.....
it turned out that I didn't have the dimm plugged in all the way...doh!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

G

all quik boot tells you is if a dimm is going bad if it can detect it. im not sure why that would matter but then again its a computer so whatever. as far as the bx 440BX? i have never seena motherboard not except dual sided sticks. lol but like i said its a computer. i would go with single sided anyways. i would bet probly the stick is bad. and i dont know why it would make the computer unstable with 3 sicks i have 4 in mine now with no problems but then again i have a athlon board much newer then a bx board. so try taking the stick back and get a signle sided stick or a new one to make sure its not the ram.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.

G

It's a Tomato (zida.com) BXe98 motherboard and both dimms of sdram are PC-100 (1 of em is 64mb, the other 128) and both only have chips on ONE side of the dimm. The rest is a Pentium III 450mhz, TNT2 Ultra (32mb), SB Live! etc etc etc

I checked the webpage for BIOS update notes, and the bug fixes were only for identifying newer processors (Celeron 633, Pentium 700, etc)

I still keep getting that message, and the system is still somewhat stable (it freezes about once or twice a day).

For your help, thank you.