Sign in with
Your question

Unusual internet sharing

Last response: in Networking
April 18, 2011 11:00:20 PM

Hello,
I have PC-A with xp and ubuntu with a 56k dial-up modem and LAN connected to my router and I want to share it's internet to PC-B with windows 98 and 56k modem over phone line (see primitive diagram below).

[A]---phone line---
|
[router]
|
[cable modem]

How can I accomplish this task (this is a project I know it is dumb)

Thank you for any information.
April 20, 2011 3:50:09 PM

Setup the first PC as a gateway and a dial-up server (not sure if you can even do that with XP), connect the modems together between the 2 computers. Dial into the server PC with the Win 98 machine. How to actually configure all this so it works will take a bit of work though.
April 20, 2011 8:15:41 PM

I believe this is refereed to as a Null Modem Cable. You would use something like Hyper Terminal to set this up i'm thinking. Sort of like settin gup a Cisco Router (the industry kind not the ones in your home)

Ok Scratch that..

It can be done, but the software is the trouble. You can communicate using a dialer to dial to each other. Finding the software may be another problem.

Unlike Ethernet i dont think you have to reverse the end on a phone cord.
Related resources
April 21, 2011 1:34:29 PM

Null Modem would need a serial or parallel null modem cable. Not sure if that's in the works for him. Setting up a dial-up server in the second PC, he'll just need the modem.
April 21, 2011 2:16:27 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Null Modem would need a serial or parallel null modem cable. Not sure if that's in the works for him. Setting up a dial-up server in the second PC, he'll just need the modem.

hehe, hence the "scratch that" in my post : )

!