Moving My Documents, My Pictures, My Music to a separate p..

As a soon-to-be-but-not-yet XP user, I can see advantages in having
several partitions in XP, one partition being for user data.

I would want to put folders My Documents, My Pictures, My Music onto
(say) the E: drive. In fact there would be one set of such folders
there, one set per user of XP. How can I set that up? Is it as simple
as dragging the whole profiles folder to another drive, but if so
(idiot question) how does XP know how to find the profiles folder in
its new location?

Also, does XP have some special functionality associated with folder
My Pictures that doesn't get associated with any old folder? If so,
will any special properties of My Pictures be preserved if I move it
to another partition as indicated above?

MTIA...
2 answers Last reply
More about moving documents pictures music separate

    Hi

    You can download TweakUI from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and when
    installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI>My
    Computer>Special Folders. You can change the location via the drop down
    menu in the right hand pane.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "AirToob" <brian@tooby.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > As a soon-to-be-but-not-yet XP user, I can see advantages in having
    > several partitions in XP, one partition being for user data.
    >
    > I would want to put folders My Documents, My Pictures, My Music onto
    > (say) the E: drive. In fact there would be one set of such folders
    > there, one set per user of XP. How can I set that up? Is it as simple
    > as dragging the whole profiles folder to another drive, but if so
    > (idiot question) how does XP know how to find the profiles folder in
    > its new location?
    >
    > Also, does XP have some special functionality associated with folder
    > My Pictures that doesn't get associated with any old folder? If so,
    > will any special properties of My Pictures be preserved if I move it
    > to another partition as indicated above?
    >

    > MTIA...

    I thought moving "My Pictures to the desktop would be a piece of cake, but
    the folder renamed itself to "Administrator's Pictures" ! I cannot rename
    back. It won't take. Now, I'm trying to finger out how to get the folder
    back into my documents with the name of "My Pictures" because I have found
    that Media Center can no longer find it. If I ever get it back to where it
    was, I'm just going to put a short cut on the desktop. However, like you, I
    have other bigger drives where I would like to store my pictures & music
    instead of on drive C: . Thanks for posting as I have similar concerns.
    macmanetz

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > You can download TweakUI from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and when
    > installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI>My
    > Computer>Special Folders. You can change the location via the drop down
    > menu in the right hand pane.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "AirToob" <brian@tooby.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > As a soon-to-be-but-not-yet XP user, I can see advantages in having
    > > several partitions in XP, one partition being for user data.
    > >
    > > I would want to put folders My Documents, My Pictures, My Music onto
    > > (say) the E: drive. In fact there would be one set of such folders
    > > there, one set per user of XP. How can I set that up? Is it as simple
    > > as dragging the whole profiles folder to another drive, but if so
    > > (idiot question) how does XP know how to find the profiles folder in
    > > its new location?
    > >
    > > Also, does XP have some special functionality associated with folder
    > > My Pictures that doesn't get associated with any old folder? If so,
    > > will any special properties of My Pictures be preserved if I move it
    > > to another partition as indicated above?
    > >

    > > MTIA...

Configuration My Documents Music Windows XP