Any way to convert Canon CR2 RAW files into "straight" 16-..

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 17, 2005 3:28:13 PM

Hi everybody,

is there any way to convert Canon 350D RAW files (.CR2, that is) into
16-bit-TIFFs that can be read e. g. by earlier 16-bit-capability
software such as Picture Publisher/Image?

A pal of mine has the 350D but the in-box converting software, when set
to produce 16-bit-TIFF from RAW, will spit out files that read as
"multipage TIFF" and cannot be edited but as 8-bit "pages".

Any way to work around this without buying new software?

Thanks and Greetings from Germany -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net (currently offline)
"Best of" portfolio: http://www2.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc.php4?mypics=254

Have a look at www.bibblelabs.com
--
neil
delete delete to reply

>A pal of mine has the 350D but the in-box converting software, when set
>to produce 16-bit-TIFF from RAW, will spit out files that read as
>"multipage TIFF" and cannot be edited but as 8-bit "pages".
>
>Any way to work around this without buying new software?

This sounds odd ... try a different RAW converter like Capture One (you
can try it free for 45 days total and they have a German Forum for
asking questions) or RSE from Pixmantec, which is free right now ...
both do 16 bit conversions and both are better than the Canon software.
June 17, 2005 4:04:52 PM

I never heard that one before.
Check out RSE (pixmantec.com), it works for me.

Where in Germany?

Andre
http://www.aguntherphotography.com
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 6:10:57 AM

Ralf Schmode wrote:
> is there any way to convert Canon 350D RAW files (.CR2, that is) into
> 16-bit-TIFFs that can be read e. g. by earlier 16-bit-capability
> software such as Picture Publisher/Image?
>
> A pal of mine has the 350D but the in-box converting software, when set
> to produce 16-bit-TIFF from RAW, will spit out files that read as
> "multipage TIFF" and cannot be edited but as 8-bit "pages".

That sounds quite odd... A bit like the tiff 16-bit abilities of your
"old" software is not fully compatible with the 16-bit idea of Canon
software.

A first try could be to just open and re-save your 16btiff file with a
simple and free editor (mostly a viewer I must say ;o) like IrfanView.

The overkilling solution : personally, I'm very glad of photoshopCS and
its integrated RAW converter (ie I'm very glad my company borrowed it
for me ;o)...

In the middle, there are a few other RAW converters other than canon's
one, I especially think of DCRaw and its avatars
http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/ (see the beginning of the FAQ
for executables) - I heard much good about it but didn't try for the
above reason ;o).

> Thanks and Greetings from Germany -

GrĂ¼ssen von der anderen Seite des Rheins!
Nicolas
!