AMD Phenom II X4 3.3-3.5ghz OC safe?

Hey all,

I've got an AMD Phenom II X2 unlocked to X4 and I'm using AMD's Overdrive tool to overclock the cpu from 3.3-3.5ghz. All I did was move the multiplier a 1.0x step up and changed the voltage from 1.420 to 1.435. I'm using a stock heatsink, so is this OC safe? I know its only a small incease but I wanted to make sure it would be fine on the stock heatsink.

Also, the overdrive tool shows my CPU temp at a constant 12 degrees celcius even during the stability test and when running games. Is this normal? It seems way too low.

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about phenom 5ghz safe
  1. You shouldn't need to bump the voltage for a single 200MHz increase, and those voltage numbers seem high, my 955 is only at 1.35V.

Also, a temperature of 12 C is wrong, your CPU must be above ambient(room) temperature unless you have an exotic cooling solution in place, download HWMonitor and use that to check the temperatures, if that reads the same i would check in BIOS to confirm that your CPU can read it's own temperature correctly, idle temps should be in the 30's
  2. Thanks for the quick response! I'll get on those right away. :bounce:
  3. Unlocked CPU's will not show correct core temps you have to use the CPU temp, I guess from the reading of 12 you are reading a core temp.
  4. ya i have my phenom overclocked to 4.2 GHZ and its showing 1.31 volts in AMD overdrive
  5. The overclock is pretty low so it's safe to lower the voltage to 1.35 or so.If you want to increase the voltage beyound 1.45V you should consider a CPU Cooler.
  6. When I had first gotten my Phenom II X4 955, I overclocked from 3.2Ghz to 3.4Ghz with the stock cooler and stock voltages :) I think you shouldn't really have any problems for your particular CPU as well.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overdrive AMD Phenom