HD 5770 flickering screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hello all, I have an ati hd 5770 video card and every now and then the screen starts flickering. It gets really annoying when playing many video games...Anyone know how to fix this ? I have tried updating all the drivers but it still does it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs :

Ati hd 5770 saphire
P8z68-v gen 3 Asus MoBo
2x(4GB) 1600 kingston RAM
750W Cooler Master power supply
i7 2600k
OCZ agility 3 120GB SSD

Solution
I'm also not sold on the PSU panacea. Your voltages would have to be completely out of line, which would exhibit problems in other ways, and a single 5770 doesn't suck down enough juice to even make a 750 watt power supply break a sweat.

Is it a continual flicker for a short period of time, or more like a single flash, and then the game continues on? The continual flickering could be a monitor/cable issue. A single flash would be indicative of either the graphics card and/or the monitor.

1) Uninstall the Catalyst software/drivers. Clean Sweep if you have to.
2) Reinstall the most recent drivers from AMD.
3) If you are still experiencing the flickering, switch out the monitor cable if you have a spare. If you are unable to recreate the...

sparco_04

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
you may not have sufficient power on your rails....... your psu may PEAK at 750 but run at a considerably lower wattage. have you looked on a power requirement calculator so see how much you need?

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

5770 takes only one 6 pin and OP has 750watts PSU therefor even if it is a terrible quality 750 watts PSU there will be plenty of power on tap for a 5770 to run flat out and stretch its legs out.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I'm also not sold on the PSU panacea. Your voltages would have to be completely out of line, which would exhibit problems in other ways, and a single 5770 doesn't suck down enough juice to even make a 750 watt power supply break a sweat.

Is it a continual flicker for a short period of time, or more like a single flash, and then the game continues on? The continual flickering could be a monitor/cable issue. A single flash would be indicative of either the graphics card and/or the monitor.

1) Uninstall the Catalyst software/drivers. Clean Sweep if you have to.
2) Reinstall the most recent drivers from AMD.
3) If you are still experiencing the flickering, switch out the monitor cable if you have a spare. If you are unable to recreate the flickering reliably, then you had a bad cable. Throw the old one away and buy a new spare if you need to.
4) Failing that, switch out the monitor if you have another one you can use or borrow. If you are unable to recreate the flickering reliably, you are most likely looking at buying a new monitor.
5) Failing that, you are looking at narrowing down a hardware issue with the graphics card. If it is still under warranty, you can try and get support from the manufacturer. If not, start pricing out an upgrade.

Solution

gcwhite1

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I hope you found a solution to this. If not I just ran across a YOUTUBE video that a guy had the same issue. He noted to Uncheck the AMD Overdrive. Play a flash video. Rclick within the video. Turn off HW accel. Then turn back on Overdrive. This has worked for me with a caveat. I cannot adjust my Flash player and as yet unable to reload it from adobe since it feels I have the latest. I use Chrome almost exclusively but I will also try this in IE and FF to see what I get.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.