AMD Updating

Hurlyboi

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hello, I'm updating my CPU from an Amd phenom x3 720 which for those of you who do not know off the top of your heads is a triple core with 2.8 GHz, to a phenom x4 965 black edition Qaud core with 3.4 GHz and I'm going to slap a v8 cooler on that bad boy an over clock to 4GHz hopefully. I was simply wondering if this was a wise upgrade for the money and if I would notice even the slightest performance in my gaming, BF3 mostly. Details on my rig are as follows, Asus Sabertooth 990Fx mobo, 8 gigs of DDR3 1600 Ram, 2.8 GHz AMD proc, and a single gtx 460 gpu for the time being.

Did you try unlocking the 720 to a X4, and/or overclock it? With the likely overclock of the 965 to at least 980 levels, a better comparison might still be http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/83?vs=362 but I'm still not sure it's worth it. I have a Sabertooth also, and I'm still grinding my teeth over buying into the Bulldozer hype, because that's way too nice a board to dump. I'd suggest seeing how much you can get out of the 720 first, and see if you can wait for Piledriver. Maybe, just maybe, it will be a worthwhile upgrade.

+1
I had totally forgotten about the capability of an unlock on the X3 720's.

Hurlyboi

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I already ordered the proc and cooler was just wanting some inPut and feedback so keep the discussion going. Please explain pile driver and bulldozer I'm a Bit new to CPUs and such. And I was going to unlock the x3 but I read that toy really wasn't the greatest IDE because it makes it entirely way to unstable.