Your question

Windows 7 hangs at Shut Down screen

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2012 3:55:01 PM

Hello all, Im new to the forum, but I love reading the insightful posts you guys have offered.
Now I'm lookin for some help.
I just put the finishing touches on my home built PC. It started off as minor up grades to hardware and turned into a completely new machine.
As it is now:
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: AMD F14100 3.6 GHz Black Edition
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520
Mem: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
HHDs: 64GB Crucial m4 SSD
640GB Hitachi HHD
2TB WD HHD
GPUs: Dual Gigabyte NVidia GTX 560TI's in SLI setup
Case: NZXT H2 w/ 4) 120mm and 1) 140mm fans
PSU: Corsair HX 750W

Hardware wise, everything seems to be working just fine. The case runs a little warmer than I'd like (I'm open for liquid cooled solutions of anyone has any advice) but when the fans are turned up and the front door to case is open, all is good.
The problem I face is that Window's hangs when I try to shutdown or restart.

I've done clean installs of Windows on all the drives individually (1 drive at a time, by itself so there were no other drives installed on the machine)
I've run a skeleton version of Windows with the bare minimum drivers, although at least 1 of the GPU's has always been installed...
I've replaced the MOBO, just bought a whole new one. I replaced an ASUS M5A99X EVO 990X with the current Sabertooth...
I've replaced the CPU, an AMD Phenom II X4 960T with the current FX4100...
I've deleted the USB drivers and reinstalled them.
I've run all the scans and checks Windows has.
I've looked thru Event Viewer to see if there was anything. (Nothing I noticed aside from the hard boots)

I'm at my wits end... Funny thing is, everything runs absolutely normal except when I want to restart or shut down... :fou: 

More about : windows hangs shut screen

April 9, 2012 4:06:41 PM

Carnage911 said:
Hello all, Im new to the forum, but I love reading the insightful posts you guys have offered.
Now I'm lookin for some help.
I just put the finishing touches on my home built PC. It started off as minor up grades to hardware and turned into a completely new machine.
As it is now:
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: AMD F14100 3.6 GHz Black Edition
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520
Mem: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
HHDs: 64GB Crucial m4 SSD
640GB Hitachi HHD
2TB WD HHD
GPUs: Dual Gigabyte NVidia GTX 560TI's in SLI setup
Case: NZXT H2 w/ 4) 120mm and 1) 140mm fans
PSU: Corsair HX 750W

Hardware wise, everything seems to be working just fine. The case runs a little warmer than I'd like (I'm open for liquid cooled solutions of anyone has any advice) but when the fans are turned up and the front door to case is open, all is good.
The problem I face is that Window's hangs when I try to shutdown or restart.

I've done clean installs of Windows on all the drives individually (1 drive at a time, by itself so there were no other drives installed on the machine)
I've run a skeleton version of Windows with the bare minimum drivers, although at least 1 of the GPU's has always been installed...
I've replaced the MOBO, just bought a whole new one. I replaced an ASUS M5A99X EVO 990X with the current Sabertooth...
I've replaced the CPU, an AMD Phenom II X4 960T with the current FX4100...
I've deleted the USB drivers and reinstalled them.
I've run all the scans and checks Windows has.
I've looked thru Event Viewer to see if there was anything. (Nothing I noticed aside from the hard boots)

I'm at my wits end... Funny thing is, everything runs absolutely normal except when I want to restart or shut down... :fou: 

Have you checked the drivers/firmware for all of your hardware?
m
l
April 9, 2012 4:11:42 PM

Assuming all your drivers were the latest and greatest, and all OS patches have been applied... Update the firmware on the Crucial M4 and see where you stand. If your problem persists then burn a MEMTest disk, boot to it, and test your memory. Make at least three passes.

Regarding case heat... There shouldn't be any cooling issues with your setup. Not sure how you have the fans configured, but the two front as intake and the three rear / top as exhaust should be where you want to be. You might be suffering from the lack of a side intake (near your GPUs), but that should be minimal.
m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2012 4:15:19 PM

Didnt think about the firmware on the SSD. Ill do that today. Do I need to worry about the OS?
I have the fans arranged just like you suggested. The 140mm and 2 120mm at front and bottom are intakes and the 120's at the top and rear are exhaust
m
l
April 9, 2012 4:21:27 PM

When you install Windows, the absolute 1st thing you do is go and download the motherboard drivers, than all the other drivers:
GPU
Peripherals
SSD
etc.
(Not in order)
m
l
April 9, 2012 4:23:57 PM

I did that. I installed the Network Adapter driver from the disc, then downloaded the most current drivers for hard ware from their respective websites.
m
l
April 9, 2012 4:50:24 PM

I did that thru the ASUS Suite II utility after I installed the MOBO drivers and got the internet up and running
m
l
April 9, 2012 5:03:46 PM

Ok, now I'm going to reach.

How are you installing the OS? Did you get a clean download, burn, or unscathed disk?

With all the work you did, it seems that you have ruled out hardware, tells us which you have done:
Tried different motherboard?
Tried different processor?
Tried different RAM configurations?
Tried a different PSU?
Tried different HDD as primary?

So have you tried:
Tried different install method?

If you have been using the SSD as your primary this whole time then sadams is probably right about the SSD being the issue.
m
l
April 9, 2012 5:11:11 PM

Ive installed the OS on the SSD and the 640 GB HDD, separately.
But honestly, Im not following you on the "how" part of the install. I booted to the disc drive, then from the Windows install screen, formatted all the of the hard drives to get them clean of anything that might be causing problems. Then I just went thru the normal install from the Windows disc.
m
l
April 9, 2012 5:14:11 PM

You should also run MEMTEST ( www.memtest.org ). You can get all sorts of errors if your RAM isn't quite working right.
m
l
April 9, 2012 5:26:37 PM

Carnage911 said:
Ive installed the OS on the SSD and the 640 GB HDD, separately.
But honestly, Im not following you on the "how" part of the install. I booted to the disc drive, then from the Windows install screen, formatted all the of the hard drives to get them clean of anything that might be causing problems. Then I just went thru the normal install from the Windows disc.

I was reaching on the install disc being the problem. On the "how" part I mean, you can purchase Windows 7 online and burn the install disc yourself. Two things can go wrong: a) the download is corrupt in an area and needs to be re-downloaded. b) the burning process to the DVD went wrong and data was corrupted in an area.

Other people like to load the OS from a bootable USB drive.

If you have the official Windows install disc then the only thing to check for is if the disc has been scratched, chipped or has fingerprints all over it.
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:01:21 PM

No fingerprints on the disc. I thought that might have been a problem from install 2. Now Im at install 6 with the same problem...
Here's a thought... I have an AMD MOBO and NVidia GPUs... Might that be giving me some compatibility issues? Should I get some ATI series GPUs?
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:07:28 PM

Carnage911 said:
Here's a thought... I have an AMD MOBO and NVidia GPUs... Might that be giving me some compatibility issues? Should I get some ATI series GPUs?

No. Burn a memtest disk and run through the testing the memory...
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:12:40 PM

Doesn't matter. GPU is not the issue. Many people use AMD CPU's and nVidia GPU's. Redownload Windows and burn a LOW speed(to prevent errors). Also, burn a MEMTEST disk and try that.
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:21:34 PM

Will do. Thanks for all the input guys. The help is very much appreciated. I was about to make a $1500 addition to my fish tank...
m
l
April 10, 2012 1:14:10 PM

Ok fellas... I updated the firmware, I ran MemTest86 for 4 hours with no errors, and yet, I still seem to be having issues. After I performed those tasks, I installed some Windows updates. After I rebooted, I was about to jump on Google and I got the BSOD... The error code had something to do with a USB video capture device. Im assuming that meant my webcam. I dont see why that would be giving me major issues, but apparently, it is. Does that make any sense to any one?
m
l
April 10, 2012 2:04:41 PM

The webcam wouldn't be the problem rather its driver would be. Might want to add that to the list of drivers to update if you haven't already. Or just unplug it for a few boot cycles and see if the problem goes away.
m
l
April 10, 2012 2:10:27 PM

I was reading on another forum that if could be the video cards/ drivers... Seems I have the newest drivers. The only thing that's changed in that department is the SLI set up. There's nothing special I need to install for that, is there?
m
l
April 10, 2012 2:19:01 PM

Or... what if I take the video cards out, format the drive, reinstall Windows withOUT the webcam drivers or video cards... Sound like a good idea, or a bit extreme?
m
l
April 10, 2012 11:57:27 PM

Ok,latest update. Windows is fine in SafeMode. I've managed to run a registry cleaner (PCTools) and it came up with a few errors. Im not sure what to do with that tho...
I've uninstalled the video drivers, taken out 1 of 2 video cards, uninstalled all the USB drivers, and taken out 2 of 4 sticks of RAM... I dont suspect the RAM, since I ran MEMTEST86 for 4 hours, but hey, why not...

Now what...???
m
l
April 11, 2012 12:28:12 AM

Carnage911 said:
Ok,latest update. Windows is fine in SafeMode. I've managed to run a registry cleaner (PCTools) and it came up with a few errors. Im not sure what to do with that tho...
I've uninstalled the video drivers, taken out 1 of 2 video cards, uninstalled all the USB drivers, and taken out 2 of 4 sticks of RAM... I dont suspect the RAM, since I ran MEMTEST86 for 4 hours, but hey, why not...

Now what...???

If fine in safe mode. Check out this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us

This will determine if background programs are causing a problem. Also you may want to reinstall drivers starting with video drivers most likely.
m
l
April 11, 2012 2:56:44 AM

Let us know how your doing.
m
l
April 11, 2012 1:20:49 PM

Ok guys. Latest update. (Im feeling kinda stupid...)
I got soooooo mad last night I formatted the whole d*** thing.
Before I did that tho, I downloaded everything fresh, the latest and greatest drivers, firmware updates, yada yada yada (to a different HDD that the install drive, of course...)
One thing I did differently tho... I did NOT get the video drivers from NVidia. I got them from Gigabyte... Who'da thought that NVIDIA(!!!) didn't have the newest drivers!?!?
Anyway, no more hanging from Window's. But now I get the BSOD about 5 mins into Windows firing up. Again, its fine in safe mode. I haven't had a chance to work through Odwillia's link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us )
But Ill run that quick as I can today.
m
l
April 11, 2012 1:30:06 PM

Again, I want to thank you guys for all your help
m
l
April 11, 2012 2:10:06 PM

Carnage911 said:
Again, I want to thank you guys for all your help

Not a problem. You get an error codes at all on the BSOD? Did you reset your bios settings? Make sure some configuration isn't messed up somehow.
m
l
April 11, 2012 3:25:43 PM

0x0000003B and 0x0000007E are the ones I've gotten
m
l
April 11, 2012 3:34:34 PM

Carnage911 said:
0x0000003B and 0x0000007E are the ones I've gotten

Found a couple of hotfixes for the BSODs you received. Have you done all of the windows updates? Take a look at these links to Microsoft support. Hope this helps.

Stop error code 0x0000003B (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION) on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 when you use some IEEE 1394 devices:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980932

Stop error message in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2: "Stop error code 0x0000007E (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)" or "Stop error code 0x00000050 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA)"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979538

m
l
April 11, 2012 3:45:01 PM

What constitutes a IEEE 1394 device? I saw the drives under Device Manager... Contemplated deleting them...
m
l
April 11, 2012 4:08:48 PM

No, don't delete! Just run the hotfix and see if it helps. Probably a bug in Windows...that why there is a fix for it.
m
l
April 11, 2012 4:28:06 PM

Im shamed... How do I download the Hotfix files?
m
l
April 11, 2012 4:30:34 PM

Carnage911 said:
Im shamed... How do I download the Hotfix files?

Don' be! :non:  There is a small link top left that says "view and request hotfix downloads".
m
l
April 11, 2012 10:57:58 PM

Ok. In typical Microsoft fashion, Im sure it will take 10-1000 business days to get those Hotfixes. So, in the mean time, I've logged onto Windows and using MSConfig, I've disabled all the services. There are bunches. I started with just the non-Windows services, but I still got the BSOD. Hence, all the services were disabled. Its been about 20 mins with no crashes... (Cross my fingers...) Any ideas on which services to start turning back on? And, once I narrow down the service, what then?
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:11:54 AM

If you need the service turn it on. Otherwise you may be good. If something you need doesn't work check the service first.
m
l
April 12, 2012 3:08:35 AM

Working thru the services... Now I've managed to get Windows to just freeze... Last few services enabled included my LAN driver...
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:39:12 PM

How is it now?
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:13:49 PM

Last night, I enabled about 2/3 of the services, got the BSOD, rebooted to safe mode, turned all the services off, rebooted, turned on the TCP/IP services, LAN, WAN (yada yada)... Windows froze almost immediately. Well, it became unresponsive after attempting to get into MSConfig...
So, now Im back to no services at all. The system is stable that way, but I've got no internet, themes, etc. All 16GB of RAM are good and the CPU runs at 4.2GHz with no problems...
m
l
April 12, 2012 3:53:08 PM

Think on this... When I first installed Windows on this build, the only problem I had was Windows hanging. Now I have the BSOD issues. Any ideas what I might have done to cause that?
Windows updates are about the only thing I can think of...
m
l
April 12, 2012 3:58:41 PM

Did you ever test your memory?
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:01:03 PM

Yessir, I ran MemTest86 for 4 hours with no errors.
I also tested the GPU's for an hour each with OCCT...
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:05:48 PM

Odd Question do you have AHCI active for your HD's. You can check this in the bios. I am looking at a possiable solution and this information would be appricated.
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:06:35 PM

Yessir, that is active, as my OS drive is a solid state
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:08:17 PM

What if you kill the overclock for now. Does it run stable then? Copy/send the settings for your OC?
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:19:11 PM

I killed the OC a while back, but it didnt make a difference. Im not at my PC at the moment, but Ill get the settings asap. The OC settings are per the ASUS Bios. Its the auto settings. I haven't taken the time to OC it myself manually yet. But with the auto settings, its very stable. No issues up to this point what so ever (in the OC aspect)
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:02:11 PM

What do you think of formatting and not updating Windows with all the extra/ unimportant updates?
m
l
April 12, 2012 11:13:04 PM

Carnage911 said:
What do you think of formatting and not updating Windows with all the extra/ unimportant updates?

Can't hurt. Make sure you get all the security updates though. Take your time when re-installing the drivers. Maybe you can pinpoint which is causing the issue.
m
l
April 12, 2012 11:26:25 PM

One thing about that... I was reinstalling a day or so ago and during the install I got the BSOD... what might that be about? That was on a formatted HDD!
m
l
April 12, 2012 11:33:37 PM

You may have defective part...or maybe you need to update your bios. Have you done that yet? I would try a bios update that may solve your problem. Get the latest bios version.
m
l
April 12, 2012 11:35:35 PM

Ive got the newest BIOS from ASUS installed already. UNLESS the MemOK! button on the MOBO erases it when I checked the RAM...
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!