Sign in with
Your question

Using old PC parts in new build?

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2012 4:34:17 PM

Right im planning to build myself a new gaming rig over the next 2 months. but i will have to split the budget to buy some parts now and then some later.

My main question is: if i buy my new MOBO,CPU RAM now would they be able to go in my old pc with old psu and HDD for a month or so. so i have a usable pc. The old PC in question is a 4/5 year old MESH ultimate PC with a 500GB hard drive and 550W PSU.

Or shall i just man out a month and wait until i can buy the new Case, GPU, SSD, HDD and PSU

i understand this is probably an incredibly ignorant/stupid question.

cheers :) 

More about : parts build

April 9, 2012 4:40:07 PM

Yeah I do that all the time - I reuse old cases, PSUs, HDs, you name it. The one thing you have to be careful with though is the PSU, and if you reuse your HDD you will have to reinstall Windows or face driver issues and errors.
April 9, 2012 4:43:48 PM

You should reuse the HDD and optical drive. However, you'll have to format the HDD and reinstall Windows. However, it'll save you $100. Also, is the case ATX? If it is, save it. Can't really save anything else. Might be able to reuse the PSU, but that's a maybe.
Related resources
April 9, 2012 4:52:32 PM

yep the case is ATX but am going to replace it as its not brilliant for cooling (no front air intake!!) im keeping my optical and HDD drive and am just wanting to use my PSU for a month or so for light use until i get a new one and GPU.
April 9, 2012 4:55:38 PM

Good!
!