New Summer Build tips and help? :bounce:

androidman

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Alright guys, after having the current PC for 4 years I fancy an upgrade.

Some background info:
Currently running 1 x 1080p monitor, I do plan on upgrading to 2 2560x1600 monitors (hopefully, I'll buy one next year and presuming they've reduced in price I'll probably buy another a year after).

The system needs to last for a good 5/6 years- I want to be able to keep playing newer games, on medium settings- I understand I may not be able to play them on the max res of the monitor on medium but i'm fine with 1080p in that case.

The build
Asus GeForce GTX 680 2048MB
Cooler Master Cosmos II (I know the case is OTT, but I love it)
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz
Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155)
Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive
Undecided power supply (tips?)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x8GB)
Arctic Silver 5

I'm undecided on the power supply and I'm thinking about water cooling since the Cosmos II may as well- it's got more than enough options (not that I have a clue how to go about water cooling)

I don't want to spend more than 1.5K in total minus the monitors and stuff, this stuff altogether is nearing that anyway.

CPU wise I'm sure it's enough not to bottleneck the GPU however if I were to ever add a second GPU in the future for a SLI config will it bottleneck?
How about overclocking it hows that?

I'm also planning on about 3tb of storage in it. 2x1.5tb drives plus the SSD.
what config would you suggest?

Thanks!
AndroidMan

hello
for a single card you should be fine with a 600w psu
if you go for duals down the line i would go for 1000w psu
water cooling is expensive and if you dont do it right it will leak and fry your internals. i dont think its work the risk if you dont know what you're doing. you can get a nice cpu cooler such as h80 or h100
your cpu is fine.. you should opt for 2550k since its the same price
for 3tb storage you can run two 1.5tb drives in raid 0 and then have the ssd for OS

androidman

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Can you recommend a particular 1000w PSU?
And you're sure the CPU won't bottleneck dual 680's?

And I know water cooling is expensive and it's bloody scary but what other way to learn? Plus I have a rather beastly case- it'd be silly not to utilize it no?