worthy upgrade

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
Hey all,

I'm not a big sound-card enthusiast. In fact, the sound card is the last thing on my mind when I'm thinking of increasing my pc performance.
So all these years, from my first 486 to the last build (d805 @ 3.4Ghz) I've been cheaping out on sound cards.

Basically this means I was using built-in sound cards (codecs) ever since they became the norm on motherboards. Lately, the quality of 3D surround was getting worse on my "Audiomax" abit 7.1 channel onboard soundcard... so I upgraded to an Audigy 4 SE. Wow, what a difference. Crystal clear sound and none of that annoying background noise and hissing as soon as you turn up the volume. My 5.1 setup sounds a lot better now, not to mention the added EAX4.0 support.

If any of you are having doubts about the worthiness of downing 50 bucks on upgrading from basic built-in mobo sound - it's definitely worth it. Unless you use your sound card exclusively to listen to the joys of those little windows alert sounds, you'll notice a measurable difference in quality.

CHeers

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
If any of you are having doubts about the worthiness of downing 50 bucks on upgrading from basic built-in mobo sound - it's definitely worth it. Unless you use your sound card exclusively to listen to the joys of those little windows alert sounds, you'll notice a measurable difference in quality.

CHeers

Thanks captain obvious, you have saved the day.

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
That's what I'm here for, and you're most welcome.
If you want my help, just light the signal.

Seriously tho, I posted because I never thought it worthwhile to upgrade audio if you're not a major audiophile .... I was wrong. There could be other people in the same boat.

I know you were just itching to answer something "edgy", but you're gonna have to find something more original next time. The whole captain obvious thing is really overrated.

Cheers :)