fuseMan91

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I recently built my own computer, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate N. I installed all the drivers, and have now downloaded google chrome, but that is it. For some reason my CPU is running at 25% at all times, even when I have no windows open.

I know I don't have a virus, and there are no anti-virus or anti-spyware programs running in the background.

I have also checked the processes in task manager, and everything is at 0 in the CPU column.

COMPUTER SPECS:

mobo - Asus P8H77-V ATX

cpu - Intel Core i5-3450

memory - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3

HDD - Toshiba laptop 2.5" SATA, 500 GB, 7200 RPM

GPU - HIS Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5

PSU - Antec 650W ATX12V

sound - ASUS Xonar DG

Go into task manager and see what processes are running in the background. Also if you go into the search bar you can type in MSconfig and a box will come up. You'll see a tab called services and at the bottom you'll see a small box that will say "hide all Microsoft services. This will filter out all the Microsoft stuff running in the background. No computer will ever be at 0 percent usage there will always be programs running in the background.

fuseMan91

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Go into task manager and see what processes are running in the background. Also if you go into the search bar you can type in MSconfig and a box will come up. You'll see a tab called services and at the bottom you'll see a small box that will say "hide all Microsoft services. This will filter out all the Microsoft stuff running in the background. No computer will ever be at 0 percent usage there will always be programs running in the background.

I did all this and found out that it was Intel Rapid Storage Technology that was hogging all the cpu..... I know this is mostly for RAID systems (which I eventually will set up), so I would like to keep it.

I went to Intel's driver site and found the driver for this, tried to download it, and it said "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements"??????

Which type of Raid are you going to set up? Do you have the hard drives set up yet. I would go to the section of the forum that covers hard drives and RAID and ask there. I'm really not sure. As for your original question it seems like it has been asnwered. If it's the Raid setup that is causing the problem and you want to keep that you are going to have to live with it eating up some CPU resources.

fuseMan91

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

I'm going to be setting up a RAID 0, but I only have one hard drive at the moment and am waiting on the other one to come in. I haven't set anything up with this yet, however, I just installed it as one of my mobo drivers. Why would it be hogging so much CPU?

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

It shouldn't be. There have been several reports of this with varying solutions. Try google "intel rst driver high cpu usage". Check that you bios is set for AHCI or RAID. Simple thing is to uninstall RIST until you actually decide to set up RAID and deal with it then. For that matter, the in box RAID driver in Windows 7 works fine.