A choice of 650W PSUs: Rosewill, Corsair, or Seasonic

kanatii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Hi all,

So the situation is: I've inherited a PSU-less low-end desktop which I'm going to set up as a media-server. Rather than buy it a low-end PSU, I've decided to upgrade the PSU in my main system and pass along the current PSU as a hand-me-down to the media server. My main system is: i7-920 @ 3ghz, 6gb RAM, 1 HDD, Geforce 8800GT. The 8800GT was a holdover from my previous build, and I plan to upgrade it to a hypothetical ~$250 Kepler based card once one becomes available. I don't think my current Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU will be up to the task of running said hypothetical GPU, so I'm looking at:

Rosewill Capstone 650W:
>54A on the 12V rail
>80 Plus Gold
>$100
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

Corsair TX650 V2
>53A on the 12V rail
>80 Plus Bronze
>$100
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

SeaSonic M12II 620
>48A on the 12V rail
>80 Plus Bronze
>$90
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

So, which would you recommend? Or should I just trust the Antec EA 500 to power my next graphics card, and buy a $40 PSU for the media server?

Thanks!

The " NEW VIDEO CARD" will be able to be powered by the 500w Antec that you have now , but if it were me I would put in the SeaSonic psu into your computer and hand the Antec off to the media server. In the event that you want to go with SLI at some point the SeaSonic will be able to handle that. Plus SeaSonic is the top brand name psu in the buisness and I have one in my system so I would most definatly recomend you put one in yours.

drums101

Distinguished
I agree with inzone on this one the seasonic is def the best psu of the bunch....the corsair one is also a good psu despite its only bronze efficiency rating...also as inzone said the 500watt psu you have now would be enough to power the new card

In order of performance/quality:
Rosewill Capstone 650W
Corsair TX650 V2
Seasonic M12II Bronze 620

The Corsair is better than the Seasonic because the M12II Bronze design is group regulated while the SS-xx0AT design that the TX650 V2 uses is independantly regulated. The M12II Bronze is quite a good performer for a group reg design, but the Corsair is still better.
However Rosewill is better again, because it matches the performance of the Corsair TX650 V2, but beats it in efficiency and has a quieter, slower spinning fan.

kanatii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008

Thanks for the links and info! I honestly expected the Seasonic to come out on top of this comparison (as they tend to do). Now I have some thinking to do.

I still feel that the SeaSonic brand is a better brand name than Rosewill and if I were you I would do some additional investigation on the psu's in question and make sure that you have the right information on them. I will say that a company that makes their own product is better than on that buys a product and puts thier name on it. At least with SeaSonic you know that SeaSonic made that psu.

ram1009

Distinguished

You are certainly entitled to your opinion however it should be labeled as such. My comment was to point out that the cheapest item under consideration isn't always the best. I doubt you'd disagree with that.

the capstone is the best options here its made by super flower who also make the kingwin gold/plat series and super flower is the only company keeping pace with seasonic as of right now while being cheaper or matching price with seasonic at better performance

kanatii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008

TIL that the GTX 670 only needs 30A on the 12v rail (EA-500 provides 34A). Kepler is impressive. I might just follow your advice here, also, thanks for the link regarding the cheap PSUs, wouldn't want a fire hazard in my living room.