Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Suggestions? (And A PSU Question)

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2012 6:22:16 PM

Hey guys, working on my first build and I am having some trouble deciding on a hard drive. I would like to stay around the $85 range, but I've been watching for sales so I guess any drive around $100 and under. It seems like every drive I look at has people complaining about DOA and failure after a few months. Anyone have any suggestions on a reliable hard drive in that price range with at least 500gb storage?

Also, I'm going to be running an i3 2100 and Radeon 6870 and have been keeping an eye out for a decent PSU. Came across this one today.

Anyone have any experience with it?
April 18, 2012 7:00:54 PM

For $85 I'd recommend a good Sata II 500GB HDD. There are also 1TB available for under 100 and some below 110/120 (I suggest the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB) .

All hard drives, whether mechanical or otherwise, experience some sort of failure. That's electronics for you. Some occur because customers misuse drives in fashion that they weren't meant to be (for example in a RAID array). Others occur because of defective parts and shoddy worksmanship. Looking through reviews, I suggest limiting your scope to the 6 month range, and at most 1 year. Not for nothing, but in my life spent with computers, i've only experienced a bad HDD twice, and both of those were pre-2002. That all being said, you should ALWAYS remember to backup your data, or at least your most valuable data.

On the PSU, you left out a few details. that being said, I think you should go with a Seasonic 520W S12II instead. Cheaper and prob better quality http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 19, 2012 3:37:06 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did end up picking up the 620w PSU in my original post. From the research I did it seems to be a solid product. As for the hard drive I've opened my price range a little and plan on picking up a Western Digital, Sata 3.0 7200 RPM and 64mb cache. Again thanks for the suggestions, if I'm running a little tight I've read good things about the Samsung F3's.
m
l
!