bigbrownbear123

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hi guys,

So basically I am pretty uneducated when it comes to computer hardware but I'm looking to buy a new laptop at the moment. I had a few questions in terms of the performance of my processor.

First off, my main applications will be: using word and excel, some basic scripting, heavy web browsing (using both wi-fi and wired internet), watching/streaming video, playing music and a lot of multitasking involving all of the aforementioned. Maybe some basic gaming, but nothing that is going to max out the specs of my laptop. I should mention I'll be going to Uni next year to study Maths and Sports Science so there are probably a few other unforeseen applications that I'll need.

What sort of importance would the size of the L3 cache of the processor have in terms of performance for my uses? Would I notice any real improvement in performance between a 3 MB and a 8 MB cache?

Also, what are the main improvement between the 2nd and 3rd generation intel i5/i7 processors? For instance, if you had a 2nd and 3rd gen i7 with the exact same clock speed, what would be the advantages of the 3rd gen processor?

As a side note, how much of an improvement would I see in terms of speed between using a hard drive and a solid state drive? I know start up times are supposed to be much faster, but in terms of speed whilst using my laptop (given that I doubt I'll be opening too many large applications, maybe only photoshop) is it a great deal better?

Thanks a lot in advance!

bigbrownbear123

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Sorry for double posting but I tried editing my post and it said I was not allowed to edit it?

I forgot to mention that I'd also do a lot of video/audio file conversion.