Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I5 2500k @ 40% Idle

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 23, 2012 1:50:12 AM

Hello all, recently my built has been tripping, out of no where it would rise to 50 or 70 and stay there for 30 seconds or so and then drop to 20-25. Only after it has stayed there for a minute or two it will go down to 8-10% idle and when I open chrome or just task manager it will go up to 30 for a good while, I checked task manager and well I can't really see what is the problem, I have noticed that it will add processes and so.
Arr, it gets annoying!!

I can add process pics and other start up processes from CCleaner or so, if you are willing to help me.

My chip is a i5 2500k

More about : 2500k idle

a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 2:07:44 AM

There must be some process running in the background to consume those CPU cycles. In the task manager, sort by CPU use and try spot which process is using the most CPU. Enter the system configuration utility (type 'msconfig' in the search box in the start menu) and go to the "startup" tab, remove whatever you don't need running at startup. Better yet, if you have programs on there you don't need at all anymore, uninstall them.

If this is still happening, run a few malware scans.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 2:21:38 AM

In addition in task manager you can go to options/view and add CPU time. Sometimes that's easier to.sort by since it doesn't bounce up and down. Also don't forget to check/uncheck show processes from all users at the bottom left
m
0
l
Related resources
July 23, 2012 2:29:08 AM

SchizTech said:
There must be some process running in the background to consume those CPU cycles. In the task manager, sort by CPU use and try spot which process is using the most CPU. Enter the system configuration utility (type 'msconfig' in the search box in the start menu) and go to the "startup" tab, remove whatever you don't need running at startup. Better yet, if you have programs on there you don't need at all anymore, uninstall them.

If this is still happening, run a few malware scans.

Ok, I did all of that. Open CCleaner and disable about 10 things and after a restart it seems to be somewhat fine. After a fresh restart it seems that the first 5 minutes, it spikes up and down and after a while it goes down. I want to post a all user process picture, is it safe to upload a picture like that?
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 2:32:07 AM

unksol said:
In addition in task manager you can go to options/view and add CPU time. Sometimes that's easier to.sort by since it doesn't bounce up and down. Also don't forget to check/uncheck show processes from all users at the bottom left

If you don't mind asking what does the time mean? Also, most process are running below a minute or so BUT system idle process has been running the longest of them all.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 2:41:55 AM

Lunixed said:
If you don't mind asking what does the time mean? Also, most process are running below a minute or so BUT system idle process has been running the longest of them all.


CPU time is the amount of time a process has been using the CPU since startup. System idle time will be the highest, majority will be pretty low as they are background tasks. The reason it can be helpful is if you have a problem process using high percentages of CPU on and off you might not catch it in task manager when it's doing it, but it's CPU time should be a good bit higher than other background items.

CPU usage is the instant measurement, and CPU time is more the relative/average use. Helpful for finding a pattern of high usage.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 2:47:47 AM

unksol said:
CPU time is the amount of time a process has been using the CPU since startup. System idle time will be the highest, majority will be pretty low as they are background tasks. The reason it can be helpful is if you have a problem process using high percentages of CPU on and off you might not catch it in task manager when it's doing it, but it's CPU time should be a good bit higher than other background items.

CPU usage is the instant measurement, and CPU time is more the relative/average use. Helpful for finding a pattern of high usage.

Also, I did some tweaks or so and I think I fixed it. I did a reboot and I noticed that it spiked up and down the first couple of minutes, is this normal (it can go up to 50%)? Also, what is considered idle? I'm using about 8-17% when running chrome and thunderbird.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 2:48:51 AM

Lunixed said:
Ok, I did all of that. Open CCleaner and disable about 10 things and after a restart it seems to be somewhat fine. After a fresh restart it seems that the first 5 minutes, it spikes up and down and after a while it goes down. I want to post a all user process picture, is it safe to upload a picture like that?


It's fine and common to post a processes pic. Unless you have some embarrassing things running lol. there's nothing personally identifiable unless your user name is your actual name or full name. And then how many people on the planet have that name lol. Your call on that
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 2:58:36 AM

Lunixed said:
Also, I did some tweaks or so and I think I fixed it. I did a reboot and I noticed that it spiked up and down the first couple of minutes, is this normal (it can go up to 50%)? Also, what is considered idle? I'm using about 8-17% when running chrome and thunderbird.


Idle is ANY unused time/cycles. So if it shows 90% load you're still 10% idle and the "idle process" counts up. Or vice versa.

Something that can.make these.numbers hard.to follow is if you CPU is throttling up or down due to low/high usage. Since it's a percentage if your CPU drops to half speed because of low usage what would be 25% is now 50.

During initial startup while it loads off the harddrive it will move around. Depends on how much you have load and the back ground tasks. mine just sitting at desktop is 0-3 after startup. Move the mouse it jumps. With chrome/browsing/thunderbird and any background apps your use doesn't seem too out of line. It ought to drop off if you leave it alone a second but as long as it's chrome or something you know causing the use it's fine.
Share
July 23, 2012 3:04:09 AM

unksol said:
It's fine and common to post a processes pic. Unless you have some embarrassing things running lol. there's nothing personally identifiable unless your user name is your actual name or full name. And then how many people on the planet have that name lol. Your call on that

Anyway it's running at about 2-3% when idle, I don't know but I somehow fixed it :bounce: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 3:26:58 AM

If you don't use the adobe stuff much it could be turned off at startup. Nothing looks horribly wrong, and with a lot of chrome tabs up use seems fine. there's some apple stuff running. I saw something about a version of that cfos internet accelerator having some sort of loop problem but yours looks fine. If it acts up again might check that. Not sure what you need it for, thought internet accelerators were dead but it may be useful for you.

Just looks like typical background stuff usage so keep what you want running disable what you don't
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 3:33:55 AM

unksol said:
If you don't use the adobe stuff much it could be turned off at startup. Nothing looks horribly wrong, and with a lot of chrome tabs up use seems fine. there's some apple stuff running. I saw something about a version of that cfos internet accelerator having some sort of loop problem but yours looks fine. If it acts up again might check that. Not sure what you need it for, thought internet accelerators were dead but it may be useful for you.

Just looks like typical background stuff usage so keep what you want running disable what you don't

Usually when I run Chrome it has 2 process running but I only have one tab, the internet acceleration program came with my z77 board, other then that, I really have no other complaints. Thanks for all the help, as now I have a greater understanding of cpu processes. It seem that some of the Intel stuff and running two anti viruses where causing the problem, I was running Comodo and Malwarebytes. Still I can't help to feel that there is something still in the background, like an updater or so... You get top answer since your where so helpful.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 3:34:36 AM

Best answer selected by Lunixed.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2012 4:01:58 AM

Lunixed said:
Usually when I run Chrome it has 2 process running but I only have one tab, the internet acceleration program came with my z77 board, other then that, I really have no other complaints. Thanks for all the help, as now I have a greater understanding of cpu processes. It seem that some of the Intel stuff and running two anti viruses where causing the problem, I was running Comodo and Malwarebytes. Still I can't help to feel that there is something still in the background, like an updater or so... You get top answer since your where so helpful.


Malwarebytes is anti spyware/rogue programs. It's fine, even great to run along side antibodies, although I have never used the paid auto version. If Comodo is just antivirus it's fine. Microsoft security essentials is great/free too though.if you suspect an.antivirus issue.

Anyway, glad it's fixed
m
0
l
!