Spilled coffee on my new computer it won't turn on, parts salvageable?

dagoop

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Disaster struck today when I made a grave mistake by spilling coffee and it went inside my case (Coolermaster HAF 922) right through the top and my PC shut down instantly. I tried to dry everything I could and waited awhile and it wouldn't turn on. It was just built a few months ago and I'm wondering what, if any parts are possibly salvageable?

MSI 560GTX-TI Twin Frozr vid card
G.Skill Ripjaws series 8gb 1600
Corsair Enthusiast TX750 PS
Intel i5-2500k
GA-Z68x-UD3H-B3 motherboard

I'm assuming the HD and memory are safe.

What about warranty, would i be able to push any of these items through a warranty process to get a replacement?

I'm terrified to use any of the parts and I'm worried I'll have to build another PC. Anyone have any experience with this?

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
I can't help you with the warranty, I assume it will depend on the part's manufacturer.

As far as parts being salvageable it's possible that any of them are. It could be one component that's fried. Unfortunately the only real way to check this is to plug each part into a known to work PC and go piece by piece. If you have access to another DDR3 (or better yet another LGA 1155) mobo you can go item by item checking if they work or not.

I think it will still be covered through warranty.