X79 vs. z68 (pci 3.0)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2012 1:06:12 PM

Ok, so I'm going to build a new computer here soon, it will mainly be used for gaming, going to use Asus direct cu II 7970 X2

My main question is should I go for a x79 (3960) running pci express 3.0 @ x16/x16, or just go for a z68 (2600/2700k) running pci express 3.0 @ x8/x8, is there a big enough difference in fps, quality...ect. even with today lasest games to justify the $1000-$1500 price increase? Also I know most games today will not even utilize 6 coes, so would the extra 2 cores even matter or give me anything extra while playing or is it just to say I "future Proofed".

anyone will experience or help with this dilemma would be highly appreciated, Thank!

More about : x79 z68 pci

a c 89 U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 1:11:27 PM

Wait for the new Z77 boards to come out and see what they have to offer, they should be released in the very near future.
m
l
February 1, 2012 2:37:02 PM

I don't want to be mean, but that was no help at all, I could've came up with that one..... I waited for z68... I waited for x79, I'm done waiting, I have the cash and I'm ready to build, I am just looking for some advice from anyone who has experience in either of these setups.
m
l
March 27, 2012 6:39:48 PM

ghomes22 said:
I don't want to be mean, but that was no help at all, I could've came up with that one..... I waited for z68... I waited for x79, I'm done waiting, I have the cash and I'm ready to build, I am just looking for some advice from anyone who has experience in either of these setups.

Lol. Yeah that wasn't much help at all. I'm in the same boat as you, planning a similar build for a buddy of mine and dealing with the same hard choices. The one clear advantage to going with and an X79 LGA 2011 motherboard is the future proofing aspect. At least that board is ready for full blown PCIe 3.0 products. The disadvantage I seem to be seeing in a number of threads on the subject is the current lack of PCIe 3.0 compatiblity from the current i7 32nm processors and even many graphics cards. Nvidia released this statement:

While X79/SNB-E is a native Gen2 platform, some motherboard manufacturers have enabled Gen3 speeds. With our GTX 680 launch drivers, we will only be supporting Gen2 speeds on X79/SNB-E while we work on validating X79/SNB-E at these faster speeds. Native Gen3 chipsets (like Ivy Bridge) will still run at full Gen3 speeds with our launch drivers.

GeForce GTX 680 supports PCI Express 3.0. It operates properly within the SIG PCI Express Specification and has been validated on multiple upcoming PCI Express 3.0 platforms. Some motherboard manufacturers have released updated SBIOS to enable the Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform to run at up to 8GT/s bus speeds. NVIDIA is currently working to validate X79/SNB-E with GTX 680 at these speeds with the goal of enabling 8GT/s via a future software update. Until this validation is complete, the GTX 680 will operate at PCIE 2.0 speeds on X79/SNB-E-based motherboards with the latest web drivers.

Thats just the graphics end of it. The 32nm CPU is another problem altogether. Truth is it's a technology that is still in it's infancy as far as product release goes. Waiting may just be a real viable option if you want to get it right the first time and not have to upgrade your CPU and graphics card at a later date just to achieve the full benefits from PCIe 3.0 I'm afraid. Its either that or really do a lot of homework trying to figure out which graphics card come with firmware capable of utilizing 3.0 right now and worry about the CPU later. I'm going to advise my buddy to hold off just a few more weeks to see what can be done to make the X79 LGA 2011 a better option.
m
l
!