Sign in with
Your question

Power supply noise during startup

Last response: in Components
July 23, 2012 3:16:48 AM

When booting Win7, will often (not always) hear a low grinding noise coming from PSU. The noise continues, eventually becoming intermittent, and stops completely a few seconds after startup is complete. I never hear the noise during normal operation; the system is very quiet. Not sure if the issue is with the PSU or the way it is mounted in the case. Appreciate any inputs.....thanks.

System details:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7 930
6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM (Patriot)
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 5570
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA
Cooler Master Hyper212 Plus CPU cooler
July 23, 2012 6:48:17 AM

The only moving component in the PSU is the fan, right?
I think one of the bearings must have worn out, so the fan is off balance when it spins up. Once it reaches certain RPMs, centripetal force overcomes the misbehaving bearing.
Just my thoughts, no promises.
a b ) Power supply
July 23, 2012 9:24:39 PM

just replace the fan . i had the same issue but i change the fan and no more rumour.
Related resources
July 24, 2012 3:53:27 AM

Thanks for the info. How easy is it to replace a fan on one of these PSUs? Are the fans a standard part or are they available from the PSU manufacturer?
July 25, 2012 2:34:44 AM

Actually, I stand corrected.
Chokes generate a buzzing noise if they're functioning under high load or malfunctioning.

Since your noise goes away, I doubt it's the choke(s), but just for knowledge's sake.
September 30, 2012 4:37:53 PM

I have an update on this....I removed the power supply and took off the cover and removed the fan....after reading a few other sites I was apply to disassemble the fan and lubricate it, which I thought might address the issue without having to replace it. When I reassembled everything I discovered that a) the issue still occurred, but b) the issue only occurs when the PC has been off for an extended period of time (say a couple of hours). If I power down the PC, wait 30 seconds, and restart, there is no abnormal noise at all....it sounds perfect.

It almost sounds like the issue only occurs when the PSU is at room temperature; once it warms up the fan sounds fine even after restart. This does not sound like an issue with a bad bearing to me....

Appreciate any additional thoughts; am thinking I might replace the PSU though in reality it's more of an annoyance than anything else; once Windows is booted up the PSU is quiet.
!