[Solved] AMD Phenom II X4 getting too hot.

Insomniam

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I recently upgraded to an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, yet the temps have been really hot despite making some changes to try to cool it. I use 2 different programs to test the temps, both said the read the same thing. The temps tend to be 55-60C idle and 65-70 during gaming/heavy load.

I recently cleaned it off to put on new thermal compound, using Arctic Silver 5 as my thermal compound. I also took both sides of the case off, but there was no difference. The heatsink and fan that came with this processor was a pain to put in, so I just put in my old heatsink after cleaning it. I don't see how this would change anything though, considering they are both stock fans.

I'm really not sure what to do in order to achieve lower temps, other than buying a new fan or moving my computer to my basement which aren't my options for the next few days. I need to lower my temps asap.

Help please, I don't want my cpu to melt. :(

Solution
What CPU did your old heatsink come with? Stock fans are not created equal, i believe the Phenoms shipped with slightly better heatsinks than the Athlons because they needed it.

Those temps are also really really high at idle, your idle temps are what my load temps were on the stock heatsink with my 955. What case do you have it in? Is there any airflow at all?
What CPU did your old heatsink come with? Stock fans are not created equal, i believe the Phenoms shipped with slightly better heatsinks than the Athlons because they needed it.

Those temps are also really really high at idle, your idle temps are what my load temps were on the stock heatsink with my 955. What case do you have it in? Is there any airflow at all?

Solution

Insomniam

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Ohh. Yeah, my old processor was an Athlon II X2. Ill again try to put the new one in there, but it's extremely difficult. I don't think I can do it without unscrewing the holder, but that just makes it more difficult. Big question that has been on my mind though.... when putting the heatsink in, is it ok if I put a lot of pressure down on it? I don't want to break the processor, that's for sure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517003 <--- case (Azza Orion)

There is a good amount of airflow. 2 fans on the left side, 1 fan in the front, 1 in the back, and i'm sure there is some air coming out the top.

(EDIT: You were right! I replaced the old heatsink with the new. Processor dropped to the low 40s! Only downside is this fan is extremely loud, but oh well, problem solved! Thank you, hunter.

Getting the stock heatsink onto my board actually required an obscene amount of pressure, i was pretty sure i was going to break something immediately before it clicked into place. For peace of mine i would suggest pulling the motherboard out, placing it on a large piece of card board and putting the heatsink on when it is on that so it is fully supported and you won't have to worry about how much pressure you need for the next time you need to swap it out.

Im glad the new one works better, those seem like much better temperatures. If you want a better noise profile after market coolers are the way to go, the AMD stock cooler isn't meant to be quiet.