Sign in with
Your question

8800 GTS - blank screen but only in nforce board.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2012 3:20:48 PM

Hi
I have a wierd one I thought I ask about.
I've got an 8800GTS thats worked fine for years then one day blank screen. Thought it was end of days for the card but decided to do some testing.

The board it worked fine in for ages was nforce4 (it failed while in this board). The next board i tested it in was nforce680, still no signal. The next board i tried was intel P45 board, amazing it worked. The last board I tried it in was an nforce570, no signal again.

Anyone got a suggestion as to why and can it be got around?

many thanks
February 2, 2012 9:56:17 AM

Pretty Funked Up said:
Hi
I have a wierd one I thought I ask about.
I've got an 8800GTS thats worked fine for years then one day blank screen. Thought it was end of days for the card but decided to do some testing.

The board it worked fine in for ages was nforce4 (it failed while in this board). The next board i tested it in was nforce680, still no signal. The next board i tried was intel P45 board, amazing it worked. The last board I tried it in was an nforce570, no signal again.

Anyone got a suggestion as to why and can it be got around?

many thanks

Just tried again with the intel p45 board. worked fine. Then moved the same ram and PSU over to the nforec570 board and tried the card again, nothing. So I can rule out PSU and RAM being a factor as well.

still no ideas?
a c 88 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 9:57:43 AM

Update the mobo/chipset drivers and try again
Related resources
February 2, 2012 10:01:01 AM

tests were all done without an HDD fitted to rule that one out. Nforce mobos are on the lastest available bios'.
February 2, 2012 12:23:43 PM

Just tried another Intel board, 946GX, and again it works fine.

recap:

works fine in 2 different intel based mobos (intel 946GX and P45)

wont work in 3 different nforce mobos (nforce 4, 5 and 6 series)

Are nvidia some how disabling old cards through the chipset?
!