Does anyone know if the Xbox supports true positional audio? Especially with
regard to sounds behind the player. Yeah, I know it supports Dolby 5.1 but
if you look at the Dolby room layout guide, there is no rear speaker, just
the two side surrounds.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

According to the ideal setup, the rear speakers are only slightly behind you
so how can you hear that Elite right down the corridor behind you when you
are playing Halo. You'd need a 6.1 setup for that and the Xbox doesn't
support 6.1 sound.

When I've tested it playing Halo, sounds seem to be coming from the rear
speakers but not in a proper 360 radius like you'd expect. I'm trying to
work out if I need to modify my speaker setup/placement or whether Dolby 5.1
just isn't really cut out for true 360 degree gaming.

"John Smith" <loopback@localhost> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if the Xbox supports true positional audio? Especially
with
> regard to sounds behind the player. Yeah, I know it supports Dolby 5.1 but
> if you look at the Dolby room layout guide, there is no rear speaker, just
> the two side surrounds.
>
> http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html
>
> According to the ideal setup, the rear speakers are only slightly behind
you
> so how can you hear that Elite right down the corridor behind you when you
> are playing Halo. You'd need a 6.1 setup for that and the Xbox doesn't
> support 6.1 sound.
>
> When I've tested it playing Halo, sounds seem to be coming from the rear
> speakers but not in a proper 360 radius like you'd expect. I'm trying to
> work out if I need to modify my speaker setup/placement or whether Dolby
5.1
> just isn't really cut out for true 360 degree gaming.

I never tested Halo but I know for a fact Doom 3 has positional audio.

theone

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "John Smith" <loopback@localhost> wrote in message
>
>>Does anyone know if the Xbox supports true positional audio? Especially
>
> with
>
>>regard to sounds behind the player. Yeah, I know it supports Dolby 5.1 but
>>if you look at the Dolby room layout guide, there is no rear speaker, just
>>the two side surrounds.
>>
>>http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html
>>
>>According to the ideal setup, the rear speakers are only slightly behind
>
> you
>
>>so how can you hear that Elite right down the corridor behind you when you
>>are playing Halo. You'd need a 6.1 setup for that and the Xbox doesn't
>>support 6.1 sound.
>>
>>When I've tested it playing Halo, sounds seem to be coming from the rear
>>speakers but not in a proper 360 radius like you'd expect. I'm trying to
>>work out if I need to modify my speaker setup/placement or whether Dolby
>
> 5.1
>
>>just isn't really cut out for true 360 degree gaming.
>

> I never tested Halo but I know for a fact Doom 3 has positional audio.

"who ya gonna call?" Boody Entertainment! Damn boody, I wish my wife
alotted me the budget for home theatre that you have. Damn, I'm hen-pecked!

I didn't know about positional audio. So I see that on something, the
meaning is that it will bold well with a 6.1 audio setup?

So 6.1 is a center rear speaker. What is 7.1 and what, if anything
supports it?

theone

theOne wrote:
> Boody Bandit wrote:
>
>> "John Smith" <loopback@localhost> wrote in message
>>
>>> Does anyone know if the Xbox supports true positional audio? Especially
>>

>> with
>>
>>> regard to sounds behind the player. Yeah, I know it supports Dolby
>>> 5.1 but
>>> if you look at the Dolby room layout guide, there is no rear speaker,
>>> just
>>> the two side surrounds.
>>>
>>> http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html
>>>
>>> According to the ideal setup, the rear speakers are only slightly behind
>>

>> you
>>
>>> so how can you hear that Elite right down the corridor behind you
>>> when you
>>> are playing Halo. You'd need a 6.1 setup for that and the Xbox doesn't
>>> support 6.1 sound.
>>>
>>> When I've tested it playing Halo, sounds seem to be coming from the rear
>>> speakers but not in a proper 360 radius like you'd expect. I'm trying to
>>> work out if I need to modify my speaker setup/placement or whether Dolby
>>

>> 5.1
>>
>>> just isn't really cut out for true 360 degree gaming.
>>

>> I never tested Halo but I know for a fact Doom 3 has positional audio.
>>

> "who ya gonna call?" Boody Entertainment! Damn boody, I wish my wife
> alotted me the budget for home theatre that you have. Damn, I'm hen-pecked!
>
> I didn't know about positional audio. So I see that on something, the
> meaning is that it will bold well with a 6.1 audio setup?
>

> So 6.1 is a center rear speaker. What is 7.1 and what, if anything
> supports it?
okay, I see now.

6.1 or 7.1 Setup
The most advanced home theater systems feature six (with Center Back) or
seven (with Left Back/Right Back) full-range channels that allow viewers
to take full advantage of Dolby Digital EX soundtracks and Dolby Pro
Logic® IIx matrix-surround decoding technology. Both of these processes
add surround information for greater realism and more dramatic effects.

The only hindrance I've had in going this route (besides the unsightly
addition of 2 more speakers ) are support.

What percentage of DVDs, Games and/or music CDs actually *truly* utilize
EX or Pro Logic IIx matrix? Not the xbox right (not including home
theatre emulation) Inquiring minds want to know :)

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

> What percentage of DVDs, Games and/or music CDs actually *truly* utilize
> EX or Pro Logic IIx matrix? Not the xbox right (not including home theatre
> emulation) Inquiring minds want to know :)

any stereo signal can benefit greatly from Pro-logic II

theone

Khee Mao wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>

>>What percentage of DVDs, Games and/or music CDs actually *truly* utilize
>>EX or Pro Logic IIx matrix? Not the xbox right (not including home theatre
>>emulation) Inquiring minds want to know :)
>>

> any stereo signal can benefit greatly from Pro-logic II

I have pro logic II. I was referring to IIx matrix but mostly EX (6.1 or
7.1).

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/feature-prologic-iix-3-2004.html

"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>> Khee Mao wrote:
>>> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>> any stereo signal can benefit greatly from Pro-logic II
>>

>> I have pro logic II. I was referring to IIx matrix but mostly EX (6.1 or
>> 7.1).
>
> http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/feature-prologic-iix-3-2004.html

Whew! Thanks for that link. Dolby finally translated!

I have a decoder for my PC that has Pro Logic II which sounds like it can
supply 5.1 audio if formatted that way, or it will interpolate as 5.1 if
not. It also has Dolby Digital EX and Dolby Digital. I have spent hours
messing with different configurations, and still think that for the PC, the
true 5.1 with the three 1/8" jacks are superior. Some day soon, however, I
hope that sound cards will offer real-time Dolby Digital encoding so that
the data stream can be sent through optical or coax wire for true 5.1 sound
to a Dolby receiver. Otherwise, PC's are stuck with PC-only speakers if you
want 5.1...

theone

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>I have pro logic II. I was referring to IIx matrix but mostly EX (6.1 or
>>>7.1).
>>
>>http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/feature-prologic-iix-3-2004.html
>>

> Whew! Thanks for that link. Dolby finally translated!
>
> I have a decoder for my PC that has Pro Logic II which sounds like it can
> supply 5.1 audio if formatted that way, or it will interpolate as 5.1 if
> not. It also has Dolby Digital EX and Dolby Digital. I have spent hours
> messing with different configurations, and still think that for the PC, the
> true 5.1 with the three 1/8" jacks are superior. Some day soon, however, I
> hope that sound cards will offer real-time Dolby Digital encoding so that
> the data stream can be sent through optical or coax wire for true 5.1 sound
> to a Dolby receiver. Otherwise, PC's are stuck with PC-only speakers if you
> want 5.1...

yeah, tht is a good link. It appears to me that there really is not true
6.1 or 7.1 via EX as I would consider true=discrete. So its 5.1 with a
3rd rear channel emulation. so THX and dolby avoid the 6.1 and 7.1 names
for this very reason but I guess it doesn't stop the receiver manufacturers.

> HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/feature-prologic-iix-3-2004.html
>>>

>> Whew! Thanks for that link. Dolby finally translated!
>>
>> I have a decoder for my PC that has Pro Logic II which sounds like it can
>> supply 5.1 audio if formatted that way, or it will interpolate as 5.1 if
>> not. It also has Dolby Digital EX and Dolby Digital. I have spent hours
>> messing with different configurations, and still think that for the PC,
>> the true 5.1 with the three 1/8" jacks are superior. Some day soon,
>> however, I hope that sound cards will offer real-time Dolby Digital
>> encoding so that the data stream can be sent through optical or coax wire
>> for true 5.1 sound to a Dolby receiver. Otherwise, PC's are stuck with
>> PC-only speakers if you want 5.1...
> yeah, tht is a good link. It appears to me that there really is not true
> 6.1 or 7.1 via EX as I would consider true=discrete. So its 5.1 with a
> 3rd rear channel emulation. so THX and dolby avoid the 6.1 and 7.1 names
> for this very reason but I guess it doesn't stop the receiver
> manufacturers.

I think some PC audio cards support true 7.1 audio. My Audigy 2 ZS does I
believe, as long as you use the 1/8" plugs.

theone

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>>
>>>"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Whew! Thanks for that link. Dolby finally translated!
>>>
>>>I have a decoder for my PC that has Pro Logic II which sounds like it can
>>>supply 5.1 audio if formatted that way, or it will interpolate as 5.1 if
>>>not. It also has Dolby Digital EX and Dolby Digital. I have spent hours
>>>messing with different configurations, and still think that for the PC,
>>>the true 5.1 with the three 1/8" jacks are superior. Some day soon,
>>>however, I hope that sound cards will offer real-time Dolby Digital
>>>encoding so that the data stream can be sent through optical or coax wire
>>>for true 5.1 sound to a Dolby receiver. Otherwise, PC's are stuck with
>>>PC-only speakers if you want 5.1...
>>
>>yeah, tht is a good link. It appears to me that there really is not true
>>6.1 or 7.1 via EX as I would consider true=discrete. So its 5.1 with a
>>3rd rear channel emulation. so THX and dolby avoid the 6.1 and 7.1 names
>>for this very reason but I guess it doesn't stop the receiver
>>manufacturers.
>

> I think some PC audio cards support true 7.1 audio. My Audigy 2 ZS does I
> believe, as long as you use the 1/8" plugs.

According to that link there is no true 6 or 7 channels because its not
discrete. Perhaps the ears can tell, perhaps they can't but the 6 & 7
channels really just seem like an emulated extension of 5.1. Compound
that with the fact that no media is encoded in 6 or 7 channels, at least
none that I no of (i.e. DVD, CD etc.) Maybe some use in professional
recording?

> Boody Bandit wrote:

> "who ya gonna call?" Boody Entertainment! Damn boody, I wish my wife
> alotted me the budget for home theatre that you have. Damn, I'm
hen-pecked!

My wife was less than thrilled when I started building a home theater in our
new home.
That all changed when I purchased my 1st projector and screen.
Now I can barely keep her out long enough to get some gaming time in for
myself.

> I didn't know about positional audio. So I see that on something, the
> meaning is that it will bold well with a 6.1 audio setup?

Yup, center behind you with speakers of your seating position.

> So 6.1 is a center rear speaker. What is 7.1 and what, if anything
> supports it?

Both 6.1 and 7.1 audio is meant for bigger rooms.
It's not needed in smaller rooms. The only reason I have it in my room is
because I have rows of seating.

6.1 is available on most newer DVD's.
I don't think 7.1 will become the norm until HD DVD players are released.
However, my hardware does a find job of simulating 7.1 audio.

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I didn't know about positional audio. So I see that on something, the
> > meaning is that it will bold well with a 6.1 audio setup?

Center channel speaker behind you with speakers on the side of your main
seating position.

> "John Smith" <loopback@localhost> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know if the Xbox supports true positional audio? Especially
> with
>> regard to sounds behind the player. Yeah, I know it supports Dolby 5.1
>> but
>> if you look at the Dolby room layout guide, there is no rear speaker,
>> just
>> the two side surrounds.
>>
>> http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html
>>
>> According to the ideal setup, the rear speakers are only slightly behind
> you
>> so how can you hear that Elite right down the corridor behind you when
>> you
>> are playing Halo. You'd need a 6.1 setup for that and the Xbox doesn't
>> support 6.1 sound.
>>
>> When I've tested it playing Halo, sounds seem to be coming from the rear
>> speakers but not in a proper 360 radius like you'd expect. I'm trying to
>> work out if I need to modify my speaker setup/placement or whether Dolby
> 5.1
>> just isn't really cut out for true 360 degree gaming.
>

> I never tested Halo but I know for a fact Doom 3 has positional audio.

My question was mainly regarding speaker placement. I've done some more
digging on the Net and it seems that Xbox games make use of Sensaura
technology for positional audio. Interestingly, a white paper on the
Sensaura site shows different rear speaker positions to the Dobly site. The
speakers are further behind (150 deg. vs 110 deg.) the listeners position.
It seems that you really need to move your speakers when switching between
watching movies and gaming if you want the optimum sound experience.

Hopefully the Xbox 360 will support a 6.1 or 7.1 setup so that this speaker
layout problem will go away.

> if you want the optimum sound experience.

I wish you luck on your journey trying to achieve the optimum sound
experience.
The single most important aspect of great sound is the room.

> Hopefully the Xbox 360 will support a 6.1 or 7.1 setup so that this
speaker
> layout problem will go away.

I can't imagine the 360 not supporting 6.1 and 7.1

theone

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Boody Bandit wrote:
>

>>"who ya gonna call?" Boody Entertainment! Damn boody, I wish my wife
>>alotted me the budget for home theatre that you have. Damn, I'm
>
> hen-pecked!
>
> My wife was less than thrilled when I started building a home theater in our
> new home.
> That all changed when I purchased my 1st projector and screen.
> Now I can barely keep her out long enough to get some gaming time in for
> myself.
>

>>I didn't know about positional audio. So I see that on something, the
>>meaning is that it will bold well with a 6.1 audio setup?
>

> Yup, center behind you with speakers of your seating position.
>

>>So 6.1 is a center rear speaker. What is 7.1 and what, if anything
>>supports it?
>

> Both 6.1 and 7.1 audio is meant for bigger rooms.
> It's not needed in smaller rooms. The only reason I have it in my room is
> because I have rows of seating.
>
> 6.1 is available on most newer DVD's.
> I don't think 7.1 will become the norm until HD DVD players are released.
> However, my hardware does a find job of simulating 7.1 audio.

which dvds have 6.1 option via main menu? I've truthfully never seen one.

> Boody Bandit wrote:
> > "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Boody Bandit wrote:
> >

> >>"who ya gonna call?" Boody Entertainment! Damn boody, I wish my wife
> >>alotted me the budget for home theatre that you have. Damn, I'm
> >
> > hen-pecked!
> >
> > My wife was less than thrilled when I started building a home theater in
our
> > new home.
> > That all changed when I purchased my 1st projector and screen.
> > Now I can barely keep her out long enough to get some gaming time in for
> > myself.
> >

> >>I didn't know about positional audio. So I see that on something, the
> >>meaning is that it will bold well with a 6.1 audio setup?
> >

> > Yup, center behind you with speakers of your seating position.
> >

> >>So 6.1 is a center rear speaker. What is 7.1 and what, if anything
> >>supports it?
> >

> > Both 6.1 and 7.1 audio is meant for bigger rooms.
> > It's not needed in smaller rooms. The only reason I have it in my room
is
> > because I have rows of seating.
> >
> > 6.1 is available on most newer DVD's.
> > I don't think 7.1 will become the norm until HD DVD players are
released.
> > However, my hardware does a find job of simulating 7.1 audio.
> >

> which dvds have 6.1 option via main menu? I've truthfully never seen one.

Gladiator comes to mind.
I would have to skim thru my collection to come up with a list of movies.

On Tue, 03 May 2005 21:16:44 GMT, theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com>
wrote:
>According to that link there is no true 6 or 7 channels because its not
>discrete. Perhaps the ears can tell, perhaps they can't but the 6 & 7
>channels really just seem like an emulated extension of 5.1. Compound
>that with the fact that no media is encoded in 6 or 7 channels, at least
>none that I no of (i.e. DVD, CD etc.) Maybe some use in professional
>recording?

DTS supports discrete 6.1 though, doesn't it? Doesn't apply to games,
but maybe that's why the equipment manufacturers say it.

theone

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Boody Bandit wrote:
>>
>>>"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>hen-pecked!
>>>
>>>My wife was less than thrilled when I started building a home theater in
>
> our
>
>>>new home.
>>>That all changed when I purchased my 1st projector and screen.
>>>Now I can barely keep her out long enough to get some gaming time in for
>>>myself.

>>>Yup, center behind you with speakers of your seating position.

>>>Both 6.1 and 7.1 audio is meant for bigger rooms.
>>>It's not needed in smaller rooms. The only reason I have it in my room
>
> is
>
>>>because I have rows of seating.
>>>
>>>6.1 is available on most newer DVD's.
>>>I don't think 7.1 will become the norm until HD DVD players are
>
> released.
>
>>>However, my hardware does a find job of simulating 7.1 audio.
>>>

>>which dvds have 6.1 option via main menu? I've truthfully never seen one.
>

> Gladiator comes to mind.
> I would have to skim thru my collection to come up with a list of movies.

is that a dts 5.1 option that 6.1 adds the matrix too or does it
actually say DTS 6.1 EX?

theone

The Other John wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2005 21:16:44 GMT, theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com>
> wrote:
>
>>According to that link there is no true 6 or 7 channels because its not
>>discrete. Perhaps the ears can tell, perhaps they can't but the 6 & 7
>>channels really just seem like an emulated extension of 5.1. Compound
>>that with the fact that no media is encoded in 6 or 7 channels, at least
>>none that I no of (i.e. DVD, CD etc.) Maybe some use in professional
>>recording?
>

> DTS supports discrete 6.1 though, doesn't it? Doesn't apply to games,
> but maybe that's why the equipment manufacturers say it.

yes >>>

DTS ES Discrete. This is the same layout as Dolby Digital EX / DTS ES,
except that the sixth main channel is actually discrete with its own
carrier channel at the source. This system may honestly be referred to
as "6.1". There have been no Hollywood movies circulated with this type
of soundtrack (it has never been used in the commercial systems), and
precious few DVDs include a soundtrack remixed for DTS ES Discrete.

<<<<<but what supports it?

In message <avWdnWg8l-G-duXfRVn-tg@suscom.com>, Boody Bandit
<boodybandit@hotmail.com> writes

>"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>> Boody Bandit wrote:
>> > "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>> > hen-pecked!
>> >
>> > My wife was less than thrilled when I started building a home theater in
>our
>> > new home.
>> > That all changed when I purchased my 1st projector and screen.
>> > Now I can barely keep her out long enough to get some gaming time in for
>> > myself.

>> > Yup, center behind you with speakers of your seating position.

>> > Both 6.1 and 7.1 audio is meant for bigger rooms.
>> > It's not needed in smaller rooms. The only reason I have it in my room
>is
>> > because I have rows of seating.
>> >
>> > 6.1 is available on most newer DVD's.
>> > I don't think 7.1 will become the norm until HD DVD players are
>released.
>> > However, my hardware does a find job of simulating 7.1 audio.
>> >

>> which dvds have 6.1 option via main menu? I've truthfully never seen one.
>
>Gladiator comes to mind.
>I would have to skim thru my collection to come up with a list of movies.

Off the top of my head, I know Blade Trinity and the LOTR extended
editions all have discrete DTS 6.1ES
--
Sean Black