Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Building my first Pc. Using for BF3 and simple school tasks, word ect

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 1, 2012 6:57:24 PM

Whats up everyone. I plan on building my first PC. I want to be able to run BF3 on ultra 120fps default. Ok, so I have 1400 to spend....GPU-XFX RADEON HD 6970 2g 256 bit...CPU I5 2500 SB 3.3GHZ. RAM-CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8GB SOUNDCARD-ASUS XONAR 7.1, its 85$USD. This is my first build and I dont know too much about PCs. I have Turtle Beaches so would you recomend a cheaper sound card and mother board to put towards a better GPU? MOBO is MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard-114.90$. Monitor-SAMSUNG S27A350H ToC Rose Black 27" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor..With what I have now, do you think I will be able to run bf3 on ultra? If you see areas where I can save money please tell me. If i can get a cheaper sound card and MOBO to put towards a better GPU I will. Unless the GPU I currently have picked will do . Thanks for your answers!
February 1, 2012 7:14:52 PM

Onboard sound is usually fine unless you are an extreme audiophile, which I'm 99.9% sure you aren't. Put the extra money to an HD 7970. Instead of the i5-2500, get the i5-2500k. It's unlocked so you can overclock for better future performance.
February 1, 2012 7:19:29 PM

You can't run BF3 ultra at 120 FPS with current hardware available. The closest would be HD7970 trifire, but that's more like $3000 price range, not $1400.
Related resources

Best solution

February 1, 2012 7:27:29 PM
Share

You're going to need at least two 6970s if you want 120 fps at Ultra lol.

Of course the monitor you're looking at is 60hz, so I fail to see why you want to double the highest possible framerate you would be able to display.

Anyway I'd suggest looking at the 7950 GPU. Much more cost effective than the 7970 at $450 (well, probably $460 retail).

You also don't need the sound card as stated. I think they are good but not necessary unless those Turtle Beach headphones are high impedance and you need a dedicated amp on the sound card. It's worth checking out. My PC 350s are 150ohm, whereas normal headphones are like 20-30ohm.

2500k is a good idea as stated. You also don't need the Vengeance RAM unless it's a good price. IMO just get 8gb 1600mhz RAM of whatever brand, GSKILL is generally cheap.

Also you should consider that a 1920x1080 monitor at 27" is going to be much worse quality than on a 23 or 24" screen. Same number of pixels over a much larger area means bigger pixels, which means lower sharpness of image. A good 24" 1080p display would save you $100.
February 1, 2012 7:29:25 PM

Like Sunius said, you won't be able to run BF3 @ 120fps with anything out right now. You best bet is to shoot for 60 fps steady, in which case you might need a GTX 580 or better @ 1080p for ultra settings. I know the 6970 does well, but I don't think it will give you 60 fps consistently in multiplayer. Also, ultra settings use up around 1.4gb of ram, so nothing below those two cards for sure.
February 1, 2012 7:29:33 PM

Sunius said:
You can't run BF3 ultra at 120 FPS with current hardware available. The closest would be HD7970 trifire, but that's more like $3000 price range, not $1400.


Maybe two 7970s tops

February 1, 2012 7:33:03 PM

phishy714 said:
Like Sunius said, you won't be able to run BF3 @ 120fps with anything out right now. You best bet is to shoot for 60 fps steady, in which case you might need a GTX 580 or better @ 1080p for ultra settings. I know the 6970 does well, but I don't think it will give you 60 fps consistently in multiplayer. Also, ultra settings use up around 1.4gb of ram, so nothing below those two cards for sure.


Not sure if you've seen the reviews, but the 7950 is faster than the 580 in most games and it's a bit cheaper.

Also, 1gb of VRAM is not going to be a bottleneck. I run a pair of 5850 1gb cards and get over 60fps average at Ultra with 2xMSAA.
February 1, 2012 7:51:34 PM

wolfram23 said:
You're going to need at least two 6970s if you want 120 fps at Ultra lol.

Of course the monitor you're looking at is 60hz, so I fail to see why you want to double the highest possible framerate you would be able to display.

Anyway I'd suggest looking at the 7950 GPU. Much more cost effective than the 7970 at $450 (well, probably $460 retail).

You also don't need the sound card as stated. I think they are good but not necessary unless those Turtle Beach headphones are high impedance and you need a dedicated amp on the sound card. It's worth checking out. My PC 350s are 150ohm, whereas normal headphones are like 20-30ohm.

2500k is a good idea as stated. You also don't need the Vengeance RAM unless it's a good price. IMO just get 8gb 1600mhz RAM of whatever brand, GSKILL is generally cheap.

Also you should consider that a 1920x1080 monitor at 27" is going to be much worse quality than on a 23 or 24" screen. Same number of pixels over a much larger area means bigger pixels, which means lower sharpness of image. A good 24" 1080p display would save you $100.
Yeah I see that now lol. I planned on getting a 24, but the one I have posted is only 10$ more for the next 3 days. Then it goes back up to 400. So idk, its a pretty good price so i didnt wanna pass that up lol. Your right though, I probably will go with the same model but 24 inch. Im guessing the 7950 will be capable of bf3 ultra? Thanks for answering I really appreciate it.
February 1, 2012 7:54:46 PM

Best answer selected by peccinatorc91.
February 1, 2012 8:08:41 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!