Installing (or finding) a deleted service...

November 2, 2004 7:24:03 AM

The server service does not appear in my services list. I can only assume it
has somehow been deleted.

1. What is the filename of the server service? (So I can look for it.)

2. Is there any way to install the server service from the original or SP2
CD without reloading all of Windows? (Add/remove Windows components does not
install services or at least I can't find them in it.)
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 3:53:35 PM

Hi

You may have to perform a 'Repair' install of XP. What happans when you
type the following from a command prompt:

net start server service

If you see an error message, type that at the command prompt, to see if it
is helpful.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"cminor" <cminor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 99D73DC-441B-4028-8D15-F19AB4B65347@microsoft.com...
> The server service does not appear in my services list. I can only assume
> it
> has somehow been deleted.
>
> 1. What is the filename of the server service? (So I can look for it.)
>
> 2. Is there any way to install the server service from the original or
> SP2
> CD without reloading all of Windows? (Add/remove Windows components does
> not
> install services or at least I can't find them in it.)
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 7:50:06 AM

"net start server service" returns and error ("You tried to start a service
that is not configured on this system.") I know it used to be configured but
I don't know what happened to it. I suspect it was deleted, probably along
with MS Messenger which I intended to delete. I don't know if there is a
connection between the two programs.

The only reason I want to start the server service (I am a standalone) is to
run MS Baseline Security Analyzer. Server is required.

I think I know how to run a repair install, but if you have a minute, please
run me through the basics...

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You may have to perform a 'Repair' install of XP. What happans when you
> type the following from a command prompt:
>
> net start server service
>
> If you see an error message, type that at the command prompt, to see if it
> is helpful.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "cminor" <cminor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 99D73DC-441B-4028-8D15-F19AB4B65347@microsoft.com...
> > The server service does not appear in my services list. I can only assume
> > it
> > has somehow been deleted.
> >
> > 1. What is the filename of the server service? (So I can look for it.)
> >
> > 2. Is there any way to install the server service from the original or
> > SP2
> > CD without reloading all of Windows? (Add/remove Windows components does
> > not
> > install services or at least I can't find them in it.)

November 3, 2004 4:52:14 PM

Hi

Is the Computer Browser Service installed? That is dependent on the Server
Service + the Workstation Service.

The following article by Michael Stevens will show you howto perform a
'Repair' install of XP:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

> "net start server service" returns and error ("You tried to start a
> service
> that is not configured on this system.") I know it used to be configured
> but
> I don't know what happened to it. I suspect it was deleted, probably
> along
> with MS Messenger which I intended to delete. I don't know if there is a
> connection between the two programs.
>
> The only reason I want to start the server service (I am a standalone) is
> run MS Baseline Security Analyzer. Server is required.
>
> I think I know how to run a repair install, but if you have a minute,
> please
> run me through the basics...
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You may have to perform a 'Repair' install of XP. What happans when you
>> type the following from a command prompt:
>>
>> net start server service
>>
>> If you see an error message, type that at the command prompt, to see if
>> it
>> is helpful.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "cminor" <cminor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 99D73DC-441B-4028-8D15-F19AB4B65347@microsoft.com...
>> > The server service does not appear in my services list. I can only
>> > assume
>> > it
>> > has somehow been deleted.
>> >
>> > 1. What is the filename of the server service? (So I can look for it.)
>> >
>> > 2. Is there any way to install the server service from the original or
>> > SP2
>> > CD without reloading all of Windows? (Add/remove Windows components
>> > does
>> > not
>> > install services or at least I can't find them in it.)

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 7:16:16 PM

cminor wrote:

> "net start server service" returns and error ("You tried to start a service
> that is not configured on this system.") I know it used to be configured but
> I don't know what happened to it. I suspect it was deleted, probably along
> with MS Messenger which I intended to delete. I don't know if there is a
> connection between the two programs.
>
> The only reason I want to start the server service (I am a standalone) is to
> run MS Baseline Security Analyzer. Server is required.
>
> I think I know how to run a repair install, but if you have a minute, please
> run me through the basics...
Hi

You should not need to do a repair installation to recover the
server service, this should do it:

Uninstall "File & Print Sharing" from the network properties pane
and reboot (if F&PS is there), and then install F&PS (it will install
the server service again).

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
November 3, 2004 9:12:02 PM

Worked like a charm, Torgeir! Thanks! I'll be in London next week, so pop
over and I'll buy you a pint.

Thanks also for your help, Will.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> cminor wrote:
>
> > "net start server service" returns an error ("You tried to start a service
> > that is not configured on this system.") I know it used to be configured but
> > I don't know what happened to it. I suspect it was deleted, probably along
> > with MS Messenger which I intended to delete. I don't know if there is a
> > connection between the two programs.
> >
> > The only reason I want to start the server service (I am a standalone) is to
> > run MS Baseline Security Analyzer. Server is required.
> >
> > I think I know how to run a repair install, but if you have a minute, please
> > run me through the basics...
> Hi
>
> You should not need to do a repair installation to recover the
> server service, this should do it:
>

> Uninstall "File & Print Sharing" from the network properties pane
> and reboot (if F&PS is there), and then install F&PS (it will install
> the server service again).

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:34:05 AM

cminor wrote:

> Worked like a charm, Torgeir! Thanks!

Your welcome :-)

> I'll be in London next week, so pop
> over and I'll buy you a pint.

I'm sleepless in Seattle next week, so that is not an option,
but thanks for the offer :-)

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: