Acceptable temps

casshern09

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hey guys.

I got a i7 3770K recently. It works fine but I feel like it's getting a little hotter than I would like.
With GPU temps I am comfortable at knowing what is ok, but I have to admit with CPU, not so much.
I had heard the Ivybridge get a bit hotter because of the smaller surface area, so anyway I thought I would ask.

Each core sits idle around 40-45C
I was playing GW2 beta last night and it got up to about 75C
Most games it can go up to 65-70C

I assumed that maybe because it was a beta and the game is CPU bound still, that might be the problem.

But anyway. Can people let me know their thoughts?
Would a bigger heatsink help?

PS my case is a HAF X coolermaster, so it's very well ventelated and my GPU's never go above 70.

Cheers.

Those idle temps look at bit high as do the load temps, what is the temperature in the room that it is in? Higher ambient temperatures result in higher CPU temperatures since heatsinks run off of a difference in temperatures.

Also, are you running with the stock heatsink? A bigger/better heatsink will always help to get temps down, it is just a question of if it is worth the upgrade. Are you planning on OCing in the future? If so it might be a good idea just to get the better heatsink now so you never need to worry about your CPU temps.

vodomore

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
i7 3770K's TDP is 77W, so the temperature should not be that high...and high temperature could shorten your mb's lifespan.

For your reference, I use Xeon 1230 (TDP 69W), using the fan comes with the CPU:
- 30C idle
-35~37C 20% load

Here is my recommendation:
- Un-install CPU fan, clean the thermal grease...
- Get some thermal grease cover CPU with a thin and even layer
- Install the fan

The temperature should drop 5~10C...if still not good enough, buy a better fan

casshern09

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Yes it's just the heatsink I got with the core. The small ones.

Erm, the room is kept quite cool, just normal room temp, I guess maybe a couple of degrees higher as it's summer.

In regards to OC. I have a Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 mobo. The BIOS is set on turbo and the CPU runs at around 3.9-40ghz. I have some mobo utilities to OC it but I don't use them as I have 16GB DDR3 2600mhz and 2 x GTX680 SLI.
I didn't think there would be much need for it.

But I have been looking at some heat sinks this afternoon and was thinking about something like http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-059-ZA&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat= that.

If you can suggest a good one I would appreciate the imput.

casshern09

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

I did notice with the stock heat sink that there wasn't much thermal paste on it, I assumed that was ok but I will try your suggestion. Thanks very much.
I had a feeling the temps were a bit high.

kendrose

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
There are plenty of reviews on this site about fans and heatsinks. I run a xigmatek gaia on my i7-2600k. I only have it OC to 4.0 but rarely break 60C. I only have used the stock heatsinks on my HTPC and workstation builds as I dont overclock or constantly and heavly stress the CPU. Pickup a good heatsink, its really not a big expense, and it will really increase the life of your CPU/Mobo.

This is what I use:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

You can even slap a second fan on it if you really need to, but with a good case it shouldnt be needed.

I have also heard good things about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Never used one myself, but it seems to be popular.

Start with a new heatsink, retest temps, go from there. =)