veloglider

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,
having tech problems and online with tech support from alienware for my ara 51 desktop. I have ATI Hd4870 x 2 2gbpci-e graphics card. Tech told me one one the cpus is not working properly its overheating and i need to get a new card. I want to replace the card and obviously upgrade but don't have alot of cash. what would be a good upgrade from my older card. I have a 750w power supply 12 gig ram

DM186

Splendid
Don't you hate that you spend all that kind of money and now they say they can't help you. That sucks. Ok we need to know how much is your budget?

Now sometimes you can take off the heat sink and apply thermal paste and reseat it. But that is up to you.

What are your full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

For $225 I would suggest going for a GTX560ti or a 6950 1GB.Currently the GTX560ti is the cheapest that will fit into your budget.

EVGA GTX560ti $230=$220 after MIR + Free Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130623

The GTX560ti should be on par with a 4870x2 but might be a little slower.But when you have the money get another for SLI and it will be really fast.

DM186

Splendid

How close were your two cards? You might not be able to have the big cards if your single slot card are close. Now you have been crossfiring. So you would have to give up the cross fire if you buy a card that Mr PS is suggesting.

Those cards are really nice. Now you would be able to go with a 6670 which is a single card slot and you would be able to buy two of them with in your budget. Also you could look at the 6770's which they have single slot cards.

I am giving you the links to each one that would work in your rig. On the second link just scrol down and you will see the single slot cards. If you get two of the same cards you won't have to give up your Crossfire. And good luck to you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150576

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+6770&x=0&y=0

I think the OP means that his card is dual GPU card.The 4870x2 is a dual slot card but both GPU's are on a single card.They didn't make a 4870x2 in a single slot version unless it was watercooled.

What exactly is wrong with your current card? Is it still covered by warranty?

If it is old chances are DM186 is right in that all it needs is some new thermal paste.

DM186

Splendid

^^ Ya I might have read it the wrong way. But I looked up his cards and they looked like single slot but that doesn't mean anything. All the cards come different sizes shapes and colors.

Can you show me the picture of where they look like their a single card?

Yes they do but I'm 99% sure that all 4870x2 were dual slot cards.Even the 4870 was a dual slot card.I've never seen a dual GPU card that is a single slot.The 4870x2 consumes 350watts.You can't make a heatsink that good in a single slot version.Or like I said before it would have to be watercooled for it to be a single slot.

DM186

Splendid
Oh God I am very embarrassed right now for some reason when I looked at the card it looked like a single card and I had single in my head after OP said that.

When I looked at other cards on other sites they all looked single but when I clicked on them boy was I surprised. Ya your are most right about the single slot and thanks for saving me from a bad deal.

Here is the card that I looked at and thought it single. My eye site is very bad I have to wear coke bottle lenes lets us put it this way if I smoked which I don't I could lite them with my glasses in the sun lite, and my eyes are getting worse with age.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113

veloglider

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
yes i have liquid cooled system. asus x58 motherboard. intel 2.66ghz i7-920 x58 processor, corsair 750 w power supply, 6-8 pin connector graphics processor, windows 64 bit professional os

DM186

Splendid

Ya I just figured it out thanks to Mr PS man I am embarrassed giving you wrong Info. but back to topic You have two GPU's together on one card. So what Mr PS has suggested would be your better bet.

And since you already have AMD GPU's then I would say the 6950 would be the card to get. But the 560 ti is also a nice card. I guess you could toss a coin or go with the one that is cheaper in price.

DM186

Splendid

the liquid cooling is on your CPU? not your GPU right?

veloglider

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
so hopefully the new info will help and if i have to spend a little more ok, i want at least same performance but since i am told the one gpu is not working properly i might as well upgrade for something a little better. its the 2 GB card also

It's marketed as 2GB but it's actually 1GB.Both GPU's have 1GB each,they mirror each other.

Is your current GPU watercooled?

After looking at a few benchmarks it seems that the GTX560ti/6950 is a bit faster than a 4870x2.Making it a good upgrade but not exactly worthwhile,imo.If you want a fix so that you can get back to gaming again go with the GTX560ti/6950 but I would suggest going for a 6970 to make it a worthwhile upgrade.Totally up to you though.