Solved

Help! Compatibility is Confusing!

Hello! I was planning on purchasing a Gigabyte 7950 (the 3gb Model?) But I was wondering...Since its pci-e 3.0 must it run on an intel ivybridge? Because currently I have an AMD FX 6100 and a pci 2.0 Gigabyte MOBO...Will it run on my current build?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help compatibility confusing
  1. Do not worry this will work.

PCIe 3 cards are backward compatible but you won't get the absolute full perfomance out of them.
  2. Sonophos said:
    Do not worry this will work.

PCIe 3 cards are backward compatible but you won't get the absolute full perfomance out of them.

But don't you also NEED a ivybridge to get the pci-e 3.0 card to even work with a 2.0? Or can I run it on my FX 6100
  3. Sonophos said:
    Do not worry this will work.

Also will the performance be hurt to the point where getting a pci 2.0 card (6970?) would be better? Or would sticking to the 7950 (even tho the performance would be "hurt") be the better option?
  4. Best answer
    Pcie is backwards compatible
    You dont need 3.0 to run a 3.0 card but will not be able to utilizeThe benefits 3.0 has over 2.0with a cpu that doesnt support it.
    In other words youre fine to run a 3.0 card in a 2.0 slot and also with the fx 6100.
  5. l1nk51 said:
    Also will the performance be hurt to the point where getting a pci 2.0 card (6970?) would be better? Or would sticking to the 7950 (even tho the performance would be "hurt") be the better option?

There is no performance penalty when u use 2.0. Its perfectly fine.
  6. Best answer selected by L1nk51.
  7. Thank you guys so much!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Compatibility Gigabyte