Getting PCs To See Each Other

G

I am trying to get my Ethernet LAN working at home between three PCs:

a 1.4 GHz Pentium IV running ME
a 333 MHz AMD K6-II HP running Win 98
a 333 MHz AMD K6-II running Win 98 SE

All three have Kingsington KNE111TX 10/100 NICs, hooked to a 3Com TP4 hub.

When I first installed the LAN equipment I DID have communication between the ME machine and the Win 98 HP. I thought it would be cool to try to get the Internet Sharing capability going. I followed the Microsoft directions for enabling Internet Sharing, which involved running the Networking Wizard on these two machines. As a result I now no longer have LAN communications between those machines either.

I believe that the hardware and software installations are correct. When I did have communications between two machines I could see network activity causing the LEDs on the third machine to react.

The behavior is the same for either Win 98 machine as I try to connect it to the network - I get a message that says 'Unable to browse the network' (not very useful).

I think that all of the easy stuff is correct (same Workgroup name on each machine, unique machine name for each). I've also followed some other Microsoft 'help' to assign a hardcoded IP address in the HP - no difference.

I don't know how to proceed.

Are there any tools or utilities available?

What else should I be looking at?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

G

It sounds like you are trying to run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on two machines. You should only run it on the machine that you connect to Internet with (the one with the modem). In effect, that machine acts as a router. The modem connects to the Internet, the network card connects to your internal network.

Your other two machines (on your internal network) must be configured with TCP/IP set to obtain an address automatically. ICS will take care of configuring those machines.