Win98SE slow with network card

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
What it might be?
A friend after installation of two new D-link DFE-538TX network cards into two Win98SE computers got the network.
(I think everything is default, TCP/IP and also NetBEUI, Client for Microsoft Networks, dynamic IP.)
But the loading time for Windows on both computers became more than 3 min. After being thinking for about a minute, Windows shows a cursor "-" in the left upper corner of the screen without doing anything... and it takes another 1.5 minutes...

Without the NIC’s the Windows loading time comes back to 100 times (as he said) faster.
Is it possible that the problem is because of the Dynamic IP addresses? Or NetBEUI? What else?
------------- -----------------
Intel Celeron 800 o/c to 1Ghz/EPoX 3SPA3L/448Ram/40Gb/
ASUS V7100PRO64Mb/SB Live! 1024/
3com U.S. Sportster 56k/SCSI Tekram 315U+scanner/
D-Link DFE-538TX.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Would have to do some looking up but this is what i have:
win98 se --acer pci nick 10/100 card---10/100 hub---2nd nick card---win95 sr2
Both load about the same as before the Lan was setup.
I read that with a hub communication is far superior. Perhaps booting time is also affected ?

Danny

No Barbie Dolls under the tree this Xmass! :frown:

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Have to ask about a hub or...what is there. I don’t know yet what is there, might be crossover cables.

I have no idea whether booting time is affected, I am not familiar with such problem, never mentioned something unusual. Even a 10Base-T hub doesn't affect the boot. No difference. But I see the led is coming on, my hub is accessing (recognized?) during Windows loading.
I know nothing about crossover cables though, never used them.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Lans are far from my specialty, although i did get my 2 pc lan up and running well, now how the hell did i do that ?
You mentioned "dynamic ip adressing"., i think you might be onto something. Perhaps by punching in a fixed ip address this would speed up win as no more querriing the cards for addresses . I'd have to look again at my lan config to give you a better answer. Will try and do that if you don't get any better input.

Hail ! to you Sir nickM

Danny

No Barbie Dolls under the tree this Xmass! :frown: