Multiple hard drives, two operating systems

cricketcutie45

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello,
I have Windows XP on one hard drive, and Windows 7 on the other. I have the duel boot option right now, but I would like to keep Win 7 and format the drive that Win XP is on. Don't know how as when I try to do a repair on Win 7 so that I can boot from 7 only, it won't repair. My computer guy said that Win XP has the files it's looking for(win 7).....so what's a gal to do? I don't want to lose anything on Win 7 as I have it set up perfectly..HELP PLEASE.

you need to watch this
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/itdojo/video-remove-windows-xp-from-a-dual-boot-configuration-with-windows-7/1306

also read this
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/109752-partition-recover-space-used-older-os.html

also read this
http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1290774.htm

I am sorry just to use links but this is somewhat complicated procedure

for you really you will be doing the boot with Win7 Dvd then doing this

"Hey try this out. Just reverse the steps given before. That is:
First boot from Windows 7 Disc and then select Repair, Then go in Command Prompt and then type the following command.
C:\ (press Enter)
Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd (press Enter)
This command will let you scan for all Hard Drives compatible installation and then it will give you an option of whic OS you want to add to BCD store. In that choose only Windows 7. This will rebuilt the BCD store and create a new master boot record.
Then reboot without the Windows 7 disc. And then go to "Adminidtrative tools / Disc management".
And now you should be able to re-format the secondary drive"
that is a paraphrase from the above link from SalVatore poster that might help you

if you just google "how to remove Windows XP from dual boot Windows 7"
you will see many articles on the subject
since the details can be different
you need to read and see how it applies to you
ie which was installed first XP or 7
is it a partition or secondary drive
etc

I am sorry that I couldnt just give you a few simple instructions on how to do it
I hope I helped a little :)

cricketcutie45

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Thank you SO MUCH for your help. I will certainly check all of this out before I do one single thing.!!!!!!!

davidbayers

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

I read both pieces. Both seemed to address running X and 7 on one disc, partitioned. I confess I didn't watch the video, but it seemed to be about the same subject. I want to leave my existing XP disc as is, and put 7 on a different disc. Any help much appreciated. Disc not yet to installed. Would it be sensible to use a ten year old disc for this? The 40 gb doesn't bother me. Thank you.

Win7 takes up about 20gb by itself so would leave you very little room on a 40gb

so if I got it right you have
XP on one hard drive
7 on another hard drive

which Windows do you want to keep?
original post said win7
but last post says you want XP
so I am a little confused :)

davidbayers

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

No, XP on only existing hd. Want to add disc, install 7 on it, all with zero effect on existing XP hd. Yes, I see what you mean about leaving little space for data. Thanks for pointing that out. Would there be an issue using an external hd to install 7 on? I wonder if you can also point out why building a new computer in an old box, which I had considered doing, also doesn't make sense, which I suppose for some reason doesn't. Seems like if enough air is moved through it, roughly evenly, it'll work. No? Thnx